Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2012, 06:13 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Watch this:
HoverflyGIMBAL In-Flight Demonstration (2 min 47 sec)

their stabilization doesn't look very good. They are showing onboard cam in small screen, this hides jitters some. If you look close you can see the deficiencies in their gimbal.
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
the core logic is the same that is on the HFpro board.

the hardware is good... it might take them a little longer to get a super smooth firmware... or it was not tuned well ( stupid for a marketing video)

I think tony is right that his criticism with HF is that they get products to market to early in their beta testing life.

but i think the potential for the HFGimbal is very high. I know my HFpro stablization was/is very good. (in the process of how building my Hex for it to be on with my second gimbal)
Old May 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,347 Posts
Sorry but i don't share your confidence in HF. They have had the HFP for years and it is still mediocre at best. Two years ago when I first bought the HFP I believed their bs and thought I was buying into a system that would quickly grow into GPS and waypoints etc. Of course that was all a pipe dream and HF has barely moved forward while the rest of the industry has come from no where and blown right past HF. Until I see major success I will not buy HF. It is very disappointing to see a US company just flounder while other new companies are extremely successful.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old May 22, 2012, 07:18 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
there I go again... getting us off on a tanget.... sorry gary and askman

mile... I am currently flying a WKM and I have had a HFpro on the same rig and the HFpro is as smooth or smoother than the WKM in manual mode (dont need to go down that rabbit hole again). Auto leveling and Alt hold the WKM is far superior..... but i dont think saying it is mediocre is accurate. perhaps it is a different tool that has different strengths that dont suit you as a pilot... perhaps (i am not trying to say anything negative about your flying )

okay back to our normally scheduled programming
Old May 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
there I go again... getting us off on a tanget.... sorry gary and askman

mile... I am currently flying a WKM and I have had a HFpro on the same rig and the HFpro is as smooth or smoother than the WKM in manual mode (dont need to go down that rabbit hole again). Auto leveling and Alt hold the WKM is far superior..... but i dont think saying it is mediocre is accurate. perhaps it is a different tool that has different strengths that dont suit you as a pilot... perhaps (i am not trying to say anything negative about your flying )

okay back to our normally scheduled programming
This is true, Adidas has had some of the smoothest gimbal video I have seen on this forum with that HF board.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:45 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
I am installing my FPV gear on my rig right now... while watching my SFGiants beat the Brewers..

i hope to get the multiwii controller or CC board on the rig to get the gimbal going again and shoot some video with the WKM onboard.

Askman..... do you know the weight and dimensions of the gimbal?

I have had many people ask me about the gmbal and want to know some specs prior to purchasing.....
Old May 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,994 Posts
Okay, HoverFly released a firmware update that fixes the temp-related issues I was seeing. It turns out due to a bug, they weren't using the calibration data. Anyway, I loaded it up and did a quick test flight earlier. I still have a a couple issues, one being a bit of jitter that I finally tracked down. It turns out my roll assembly was not really tight, like it should be. I tightened it up and added some thick CA, and now everything is rock-solid. Before, when a wind gust would hit, it would move the gimbal without also moving the gimbal controller. now if the wind moves the yoke the HF Gimbal board will as well, so it will compensate. Anyway, this video was before I fixed this issue. Also, the gains and the accelerations need tweaking. I could'nt do this before because the gains were changing with the temp. Now I ought to be able to get it dialed in.

AG550-NX 2-Axis NEX-5N Gimbal Test-05r.mov (3 min 28 sec)

Just for grins, I also ran the video through FCP's stabilization function, with the minimum settings.

AG550-NX 2-Axis NEX-5N Gimbal Test-05.mov (3 min 28 sec)

Tomorrow I will do another test flight, after I get the gains dialed in and I figure out how best to set the accelerations. Anyway, the HF Gimbal is working as advertised, finally.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is online now Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old May 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post

Tomorrow I will do another test flight, after I get the gains dialed in and I figure out how best to set the accelerations. Anyway, the HF Gimbal is working as advertised, finally.

-- Gary
thanks for the hard work testing gear for the benefit of the whole AP community.
Old May 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidas4275 View Post
thanks for the hard work testing gear for the benefit of the whole ap community.
+1
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old May 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
yeah, can't wait. thanks!
Old May 22, 2012, 09:03 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
even people like us forget to maintain our gears to fully. lol. make sure all the screws are tight and once it is setup to your liking, it really does not hurt to add a drop of CA on all the g-10 slot. it will add ton of rigidity, which is good thing. unwanted movement is a bad thing.

I am starting to like the Y6. it looks lot smaller than the hexa in the air, but flies well. and it sounds wicked. totally different than hexa. I like it
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by askman; May 22, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
even people like us forget to maintain our gears to fully. lol. make sure all the screws are tight and once it is setup to your liking, it really does not hurt to add a drop of CA on all the g-10 slot. it will add ton of rigidity, which is good thing. unwanted movement is a bad thing.
where the g10 slot at?
Old May 22, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
27 Posts
Gary could you post the HF gimbal settings, i was thinking installing it with double sided 3m tape not bolted. HF said its ok. Thanks Garry.
Zapataantonio1 is offline Find More Posts by Zapataantonio1
Old May 22, 2012, 09:12 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,083 Posts
slots, is where the g-10 interlocks to form box shape. kinda like mortised and tenon joint.
askman is online now Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread