Closed Thread
Old May 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
tools are tools... the all have their place and purpose..

FPV, ATT, GPS and such.... but none of the should replace the ability to fly the rig without those tools.

Yep, Naze32 updates are firmware..... not hardware

but Gary and Andrey have said they will preconfigure the ones they sell to be tuned for the gimbal so waiting for it could be nice. That being said, i bought 2
once kalman filtering is done, naze32 as currently stand should be fine. we are also looking at hardware fix as well. we will see. why it probably is best to wait.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 05:46 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
once kalman filtering is done, naze32 as currently stand should be fine. we are also looking at hardware fix as well. we will see. why it probably is best to wait.
I know this is a stupid question because if you knew the answer you would have said it... any rough guesstimate on a time frame?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old May 21, 2012, 06:48 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
we should have something to report on later this week on the controller board. actual firmware on this board is bit up in the air. AHRS implementation is ongoing, but taking time to debug. meanwhile we are still very busy with bunch of other stuff.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
925 Posts
Wingbreaker, have you try to fly without the gimbal servos connected to the FC? Strap the roll axis so it won't move and try to find the source of vibration from there?
I saw this video (
DJI wookong m test flight (4 min 4 sec)
) from the wkm thread, a hard mounted gopro on dji hexa I think, this what looks like a well tuned setup can do. Just a suggestion.
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old May 21, 2012, 08:27 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
this video shows exactly what I am meaning..... that rig is super smooth in manual mode... and when in ATT and GPS+ATT you see little twitches....

great video for educational purposes....

that is the best example i have seen of a WKM doing smooth FF that is good enough for AP work....

when he pushes forward on the stick to do FF in GPS+ATT mode there is a little twitch forward and backwards.....when he is in manual mode it is super smooth...

now we need to see him "test" a Naza.

perhaps i am seeing things... but i dont think so
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
for FFF/wider shot, you should be using normal mode. but for more controlled flight at lesser speed in windy condition is where Att mode is really good. that video is cool, but for most of what people do for money, you are at lot closer in and at lower speed. there are time for higher speed, and most of those will require fpv. there are always room for more learning.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmt View Post
Wingbreaker, have you try to fly without the gimbal servos connected to the FC? Strap the roll axis so it won't move and try to find the source of vibration from there?
I saw this video (http://vimeo.com/41956069) from the wkm thread, a hard mounted gopro on dji hexa I think, this what looks like a well tuned setup can do. Just a suggestion.
the issue isn't vibration with my gimbal it is the gimbal controller. I can get smooth in manual and in att with a hard mounted go pro. Also we've been have 20mph winds here daily. I have some gigs the next few days so i won't be able to fly. thursday ill do some manual mode go pro flying for you guys. I don't think the strapping the roll down and flying will help at all as it will not solve any gimbal control issues. A gimbal controller should compensate for that, keep the camera on the horizon.

some evening testing with stabilization in post:

Untitled (3 min 16 sec)
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
Old May 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
funny i was just flying in the same 20mph gusts.... trying manual v. ATT v. GPS + ATT

still need to learn how to tune the WKM better ......
Old May 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
but were you shooting video in it? i can fly in it no prob. these things are awesome in the wind but you still get knocked around
Old May 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
nope.... (hell compared to you I can never shoot video ) i am ironing out tuning the WKM before adding anything else back on to it... no FPV gear no camera and no gimbal control..

probably Thursday or Saturday i will try and configure the CC board as my gimbal controller and see how that works out.

I can tell you that with just adjusting the gains (WKM has more to adjust) that the HFpro on the exact same rig handled wind better.... but that is so subjective..... and qualitative.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
also, ddmt, vibration will cause lines/waves in the video. vibration is definitely not an issue. banging and rapid movement (wobble) is what causes jello. it is sorting out the gimble control and, yes, maybe playing with gains more but the thing is so steady no matter what mode. I don't think anyone has gotten perfect stabilization on a dji before besides hard mount a camera to the very center, anyone can do that. but then you get props and legs in the video, thats no good for production.
Old May 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
this is major reason for going away from DJI for gimbal control. we've already been through all this. lol we did get side tracked with flying mode though

I am busy building up my Y. this will be special prototype I am doing as part of 2kg work.. mostly exercise to see how light I can get a Y to with 350gm camera. some of the weight saving work will trickle in to other products. I am curious how well it will fly though.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 10:18 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,796 Posts
same footage without post stabilization
test 2 (3 min 16 sec)
Old May 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
. lol we did get side tracked with flying mode though

Thats what I'm good for
Old May 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
there is also this bit of trick to doing video in heavy gust. try to do you shot into or with the wind as much as possible. (being with the wind being the smoothest) sometimes you have to fly backward toward you and reverse it for some of the shots. (now, this is more for static stuff where you can reverse the video) also, straight flight is still the best with panning being the worst. overall, you can really hear the wind. in most cases, you really cannot shoot that much once wind goes over 20mph. and even if you can, you really have to be smart to get most out of the situation.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread