HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Discussion
DJI F550 Hex Build, with 2-axis NEX-5N/GH2 Gimbal...

Thought I'd start a new build thread for the new DJI F550 hex frameset, along with the new 2-axis, belt-driven gimbal and landing gear setup I'm doing with Andrey (Askman...). This setup has a WK-M installed, and the gimbal is sized to fit a Sony NEX-5N/7, a Panasonic GH-2 or a Canon 550D.

The frame went together just like the F450 quad. The lower plate also acts as a power distribution plate for the six DJI ESCs. There's plenty of room for all the WK-M bits, and I've added a CC 10A programmable BEC that will drive the gimbal servo at 7.4V. This will be run on two 4s-3300 packs in parallel. For props, I will start with the 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, but I might switch to Graupner 10x5s, once they are back in stock at Graupner-USA, which I think is next week.

The gimbal/LG assembly shares a lot of common parts with the GoPro "inline" gimbal we are also doing for the F450 quad. The roll assembly/battery plate is identical. The only real difference is that the yoke is larger for the NEX/GH2 version. We will also be offering an option to use the GoPro-specific yoke on this hex setup, with the integrated LG.

The gimbal implementation uses 2:1 belt drives in each axis, and each axis uses high-speed, high resolution Hyperion digital servos that have been programmed for 180 degee operation and have the deadband timing "tuned" to the WK-M/Naza gimbal outputs.

Andrey just shipped what is shown in the pics to me this morning. Hopefully I'll get it on Saturday, in which case I will have it assembled and installed with the hex setup, and hopefully flying by Sunday.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:40 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,238 Posts
Gary, looks nice. I am a little concerned about the size of the landing gear and the size of the hexa. The gear seems a little undersized. I will wait until the project is completed so you can show me why I am wrong.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Gary, looks nice. I am a little concerned about the size of the landing gear and the size of the hexa. The gear seems a little undersized. I will wait until the project is completed so you can show me why I am wrong.
Hi Ed --

Actually, this interlocking design makes the LG very robust. It's one of the trademarks of Andrey's designs We weren't sure about the leg length, though, so this might change. Also, I plan on adding green and pink pool noodles to each skid, which helps with the stability.

I'm very happy with how well the vibration isolation scheme works on the F450 mount, and it is pretty much the same here. The difference is that the LG assembly is added, which mounts to the lower F550 plate.

I'll post some more pics, when I get it all together.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
It is always easier to make it stronger at cost of weight, but not the other way . we will adjust as testing dictates
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:37 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
The hexa will be available for dealer shipments late next week or week after next together with F330 quad.

My is setup with Waypoint.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,087 Posts
what is the pricing going to be on the frame sidneyw?
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaLife View Post
what is the pricing going to be on the frame sidneyw?
I'd say about $110 don't quote me... the factory/office is close for New Year until Monday.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,087 Posts
sweeet, that is a good price if that's where it's going to shake out.
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Price?

Can I order this gimbal right now and if so please advise on price and delivery time to the US. Thanks in advance for any info.
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Gary,

Looking good Gary. Tick Toc......

F550 Hexa is a very nice setup for the money. I'm have been having a blast with it.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Of course, this is a little extreme but I had it laying around.

The legs are all broken. I just wanted to see how it would "look".
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
Current plan is to begin sale in 2 week. that will give us time to test the LG/finalize that. The LG will have bolt on pan unit. (I am finalizing the design. have 2 different pan unit. one light weight and one heavy duty for DSLR ) 4;1 belt driven pan.

. Gimbal has been tested and pretty much finalized. I am waiting on material and will start the production next week, which should allow Gary some inventory by beginnig of sales. I am getting my 2nd CNC router back up to production ready as well this weekend (and re-organizing my shop) I will have few other offerings down the line. I will update my news on my blog here. I am sure Gary will have his website up and running soon as well. I won't have mine up until I get my full product line developed.

thanks for the interest.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, MI, Jenison
Joined Jun 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor View Post
Of course, this is a little extreme but I had it laying around.

The legs are all broken. I just wanted to see how it would "look".
Nice. How soon till you have the 550 in stock?
nicnaimless is offline Find More Posts by nicnaimless
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
Michigan
Joined Dec 2008
2,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum View Post
Thought I'd start a new build thread for the new DJI F550 hex frameset, along with the new 2-axis, belt-driven gimbal and landing gear setup I'm doing with Andrey (Askman...). This setup has a WK-M installed, and the gimbal is sized to fit a Sony NEX-5N/7, a Panasonic GH-2 or a Canon 550D.

The frame went together just like the F450 quad. The lower plate also acts as a power distribution plate for the six DJI ESCs. There's plenty of room for all the WK-M bits, and I've added a CC 10A programmable BEC that will drive the gimbal servo at 7.4V. This will be run on two 4s-3300 packs in parallel. For props, I will start with the 3-bladed GWS 9x5x3s, but I might switch to Graupner 10x5s, once they are back in stock at Graupner-USA, which I think is next week.

The gimbal/LG assembly shares a lot of common parts with the GoPro "inline" gimbal we are also doing for the F450 quad. The roll assembly/battery plate is identical. The only real difference is that the yoke is larger for the NEX/GH2 version. We will also be offering an option to use the GoPro-specific yoke on this hex setup, with the integrated LG.

The gimbal implementation uses 2:1 belt drives in each axis, and each axis uses high-speed, high resolution Hyperion digital servos that have been programmed for 180 degee operation and have the deadband timing "tuned" to the WK-M/Naza gimbal outputs.

Andrey just shipped what is shown in the pics to me this morning. Hopefully I'll get it on Saturday, in which case I will have it assembled and installed with the hex setup, and hopefully flying by Sunday.

-- Gary
Gary do you no what the max size prop that will fit on this frame and good looking build Tom
tom6696950 is offline Find More Posts by tom6696950
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:21 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman View Post
. Gimbal has been tested and pretty much finalized.
Do you have on board footage?
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Closed Thread