SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
The blister bumps can be done using trailing edge stock sanded and then cut into small sections..rinse and repeat. It wouldn't be too terribly hard.

The retracts on that IC model work. Wow, I really love the sound of that thing!!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
I agree, it HAS to have the bumps, same as my SR-7.
Wow, what a beautiful model! Hope mine flies half as good!

I would love to see how that landing gear works, the geometry has me stumped. I just can't wrap my head around how it can fold forward with those rear support struts.

Glenn
glewis is online now Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Glenn - You think the LG might work sorta like the LG on a DC-3? Maybe that front strut folds and then it allows the wheel to move up and pivot about the end of the rear strut. Just guessing, I don't really know anything about this plane!

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
I guess that might be how it works. But the main load bearing strut folding doesn't sound quite right. The only thing I can figure is maybe the rear attachment of that rear support slides in a track or there is another linkage in the wing that we can't see.
Wish I was good at CAD. I would attempt to model the linkage.
All I have is a paper clip stuck into a rubber eraser like Roy Grumman did when he figured out how to pivot the folding wing on his aircraft.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,063 Posts
I read somewhere that the lg design left wheels protruding from the nacelles on purpose because pilots often forgot to lower the landing gear.
I noticed that the gear in Maxes A folded forward with wheels nestled behind the firewalls but protruding. Good thing, otherwise the long rear push-rod arms would have nowhere to go. The videos show gear detail pretty well.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 27, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:38 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,677 Posts
Looking forward to this one. Just ran across this plan the other day when I was looking for something else. Love all the Stinsons!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,378 Posts
Good selection, Glenn! I got a ride on one, in the early 80's, at the Sun-n-Fun, in Lakeland. Always been one of those "had to build" designs, but never got to.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:57 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
I did see the gear retract in that video. Unfortunately it's too far out to see in any detail. I know it folds forward but still don't see how that rear support will allow it to move in that direction. Guess I'll have to sit down with some scraps of wood and some pins and see if I can figure it out. I might be over complicating this in my head and there is enough over center length in that rear strut for it to fold without any magic geometry.
Not like I'm thinking of a way to hide those ugly legs or anything.

Hi Pete and J.B., welcome to the party!

That's when I saw it too Fuzz! Must have been '82 or '83. They weren't offering rides on the day I was there and I was bummed. I wanted to experience the sound and vibration of stereo radials!

Glenn
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Glenn,

The first thing that comes to my mind (for all that's worth), is that the lower end of the LG strut and the lower end of the diagonal supports are permanently connected. And the upper end of the LG struts simply pivot while the upper end of the diagonal supports slide along tracks - forward for up gear and rearward to a stop with a locking mechanism for down. I think that may be what the peculiar little bend in the diagonal brace is for-to clear the main gear fork.

Probably not anywhere close to what REALLY happens, but my simplistic guess.

Anyway, I'm watching. It'll be interesting!

David
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Last edited by cd_webb; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
296 Posts
Hi Glenn-
I have found a picture of the landing gear which I have cropped to show some of the detail. It looks like it folds much like the DC-3 landing gear, where the rear struts are attached to the nacelle with a simple hinge and the forward/main strut (above the yoke that holds the wheel) swings forward to pull the wheel up into the nacelle.
You may want to shoot an email to the Golden Wings MuseumGolden Wings Museum as they have a Stinson A on display. There is another website that has restoration photos http://www.hoaircraft.com/1931-Stinson-6000A-page2.html of the same aircraft although no close shots of the gear. The crew that worked on it would be able to tell you how the gear retracts and may be able to furnish some pictures.
-Scott
AVGDAY is online now Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:01 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
Thanks David. That's kind of the only way I could see that it could work, however...

Scott, thanks for the enlarged pics of the gear. I think it makes sense now.
What I see is the black parts are all one piece. Looking at the main strut there is a silver what looks to be a hydraulic cylinder connected at the top of the black arch over the wheel. If the cylinder were to pull straight up the wheel would travel in an arc forward and up. The whole assembly would pivot at the rear of the diagonal struts.
I knew it had to be simpler that I was making it up to be.
Kind of hard to duplicate with small hobby retracts that rotate. Or is it?
Glenn
Last edited by glewis; Jan 27, 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,826 Posts
A couple of pics of the progress so far.
Last night I made up the side frames and tonight assembled them into the box girder inner frame. The thing is really strong for only being 1/16" sticks.
The framework as pictured weighs 2.6 grams.
On to cutting formers, lot's of 'em, top bottom and sides....

Glenn
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,063 Posts
Here's a screen shot from a Model A simulation. It shows the novel shape of the flap following the novel shape of the wing, and the landing gear parts from a different angle. I would imagine that the weight of functional retract gear on a 32" span model, probably with dual servos, would be prohibitive. I'll try to locate my Cleveland plans, they will probably show gear detail.

Go to Golden Age Sim site and click on demo video , briefly shows shock absorbing action of gear. http://www.goldenagesimulations.com/stinson.html
Last edited by E-Challenged; Jan 27, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,063 Posts
Here's a 30's movie/video of Tailspin Tommy, in "Danger Flight", the hero lands a real Model A at the start of the movie.

http://www.airspacemag.com/video/Dan...ight-1939.html
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:05 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,378 Posts
Quote:
That's when I saw it too Fuzz! Must have been '82 or '83. They weren't offering rides on the day I was there and I was bummed. I wanted to experience the sound and vibration of stereo radials!
Rides were 50bux. And once in the air, vibration was at minimum. But the sound was awesome. I could see where passengers landed quite dillusional, after a long flight.

Yep..82-83. I learned to fly Wizards one of those yrs. Later test flew one on floats, off the intra-coastal in Riviera Beach. Flew it right under Singer Island bridge.

If I ever do build a Model A, it will get silk! It deserves it.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin