HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
Denmark
Joined Nov 2010
11 Posts
Help!
mcp-x v2 problem, help!!

Do anyone have a fix or explanation to this problem
mCPX intermittent signal losses/fail saves - 3in1 defect or other ideas? (0 min 56 sec)

Mine have just started after about 30 flights, no major crashes .
polypop is offline Find More Posts by polypop
Last edited by polypop; Jan 26, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,676 Posts
Bind it to a different radio (your friend's, maybe) to rule out the transmitter as the cause, then blame the heli. If it still does this with a new transmitter, let HH know.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedexas View Post
Bind it to a different radio (your friend's, maybe) to rule out the transmitter as the cause, then blame the heli. If it still does this with a new transmitter, let HH know.
I agree! Also try rebinding your heli!
eranrc is offline Find More Posts by eranrc
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:58 AM
Denmark
Joined Nov 2010
11 Posts
I have all reddy try'ed to rebind no effect
Maybe I should have said that it always start after about 2-3 minutes of flying, like it is after something is getting warm.
polypop is offline Find More Posts by polypop
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Drev
Canada, ON, Chatham-Kent
Joined Jan 2011
85 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. After some serious head scratching and hair loss turned out the main motor was bad.
Drev is offline Find More Posts by Drev
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:17 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,676 Posts
Not just rebind, rebind to someone else's radio. To me this looks like signal loss.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Bacon
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Mar 2011
180 Posts
Any chance you solved this issue? I have a V1 Heli with a V2 board that HH gave me in January. Recently I've started seeing the same issue. I run 1 battery through it with no issues then start using the 2nd battery and it will perform as you show in your video. It's mostly when I have throttle almost maxed out but sometimes, it doesn't really matter how high it is.

I just opened another case with HH to see what they can do. Hopefully they will just send me another board.
super_dork is offline Find More Posts by super_dork
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
polypop.....
Check ALL connections to the main board, especially the battery leads....even if a strand or 2 of wire has separated from the terminal, this COULD be enough to cause current loss and "brown-out" similar to what your video shows....
Barring that....my next suspect would be the motor.....bad brushes/windings can cause various problems, especially heavy current draw.....
Good Luck!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old May 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
Bacon
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Mar 2011
180 Posts
Getting a new Heli!

So, I opened a case with HH and they told me to try several things such as binding to my DX6i in Aero mode to make it bind in non-computer mode or using my DX4e and binding to it. After several attempts, I could only get it working with the DX4e but not the DX6i. Once I got it bound to the DX4e, it still had issues (Though i've tested the batteries on other things and think they may be going bad too). In the meantime, they sent me a followup telling me to just send the heli in for evaluation. So, I did.

Today, they sent me a notice today telling me that that 3-in-1 board was, in fact, bad. Unfortunately, they are out of stock on the v2 3-in-1 boards at this time, so THEY ARE SENDING ME A NEW V2 HELI!!!

Not too bad HH! I've had such good success with these guys on getting support on faulty stuff.
super_dork is offline Find More Posts by super_dork
Last edited by super_dork; May 01, 2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: more details
Old May 02, 2012, 02:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Funny you should post that! My MSR has just started doing exactly the same thing!

Nothing wrong with the TX as my mcpx and 2 micro planes work fine
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old May 04, 2012, 04:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
I suspect either excessive current draw or insufficient current capacity.

Battery voltage reading while failure is occurring???
Current draw??

I've also heated parts during operation to try and induce a failure while diagnosing intermittent problems. Sometimes thermal expansion can open a poor connection. Other times a component may be prone to, or will only act up in a certain temp range.

Heat affects the electrical resistance of components
Different materials expand at different rates when heated

First guess: motor, that would be the first place I'd look. Freewheel it / disconnect it / remove blades during failure to see if the problem changes (pick one).

Even though your problem is likely to be elsewhere, make sure there is no interference from another wireless device.
zzyzx is offline Find More Posts by zzyzx
Last edited by zzyzx; May 04, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
I suspect either excessive current draw or insufficient current capacity.
Sounds feasible, the batteries are well used.
Think I'll order some new batteries before I start looking into new boards etc
Old May 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
Sounds feasible, the batteries are well used.
Think I'll order some new batteries before I start looking into new boards etc
I was thinking of something like a poor connection @ battery cables. If the problem does not change with a different battery, the battery is unlikely to be the source. More like the current carrying capacity of the circuit as a whole. Amperage is always constant in a circuit, so the entire circuit has to be capable of electrical flow. If for example, the led dims as you increase throttle, you know you are on the right track.

If you're going to guess at a diagnosis, always guess cheapest to most expensive. If the shotgun approach had a method, that would be it. It's the cheapest way for a parts swapper to get something fixed.

Your best clue so far is that it operates normally when cold, after a check of the basics, I'd investigate that next.
Last edited by zzyzx; May 04, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzx View Post
I was thinking of something like a poor connection @ battery cables. If the problem does not change with a different battery, the battery is unlikely to be the source. More like the current carrying capacity of the circuit as a whole. Amperage is always constant in a circuit, so the entire circuit has to be capable of electrical flow. If for example, the led dims as you increase throttle, you know you are on the right track.

If you're going to guess at a diagnosis, always guess cheapest to most expensive. If the shotgun approach had a method, that would be it. It's the cheapest way for a parts swapper to get something fixed.

Your best clue so far is that it operates normally when cold, after a check of the basics, I'd investigate that next.
New batteries cured my issue. Well I guess a years worth of use wasn't too bad for batteries that cost me 20 for 10
Old May 09, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Still think it was the connectors, lipos are a throwaway item though..
the batt itself should perform better at operating temp, the connections would be more likely to act up with heat

glad that you got it fixed