HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2003, 08:11 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,599 Posts
Peter,
To tell yo the truth I can't remember what the deal was. I think it was on a motor/GB combo because I already had an ESC. All I remember is that it was cheaper than the Hacker C40 (isn't that what Gary recommends) and it works very well. In fact I"m using the combo in a 5+lb P47 conversion and it works great.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2003, 08:13 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,599 Posts
To all,
If you're using an MEC GB and you need a pinion for a Mega or Jeti check the electric helicopter parts at Hobby Lobby. They have some pinions that are a bit cheaper than those available from other places.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:53 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Boy, am I edited for language

3rd day out to the field and 3 flt on the plane. Winds are gusting to 15mph or so, everything checks out fine the last 2 flts so I crank up the surfaces to full 45degree deflections (and both mixes also). About 2min into the flight I'm rolling it both ways fast (and snaping into opposite rolls) - and there's that unmistakable sound of flutter, then servos striping gears Ends up I've lost both aileron servos (or at the very best I had to yank the sticks to 'pulse' it with no fine control). Bring her down on the grass with rudder and elevator and couldn't really level the wings - right wing tip just barely digs into the grass and it cartwheels over and digs in the right wing tip, snapping the fuze. Front portion damage was from battery pack partially ejected sideways. When we got to the plane, when I moved the aileron stick both servos were just going round and round ...

Good news is that other than 2x striped HS-81's, that's about the only damage to the plane as in the picture, so it should be a quick fix (heavier plane though). No damage at all to landing gear section, no striped GD600, prop and spinner is good as new.

I was going to post a question wrt to the servos ... then I did a search (E3D+Striped+Servo) - and man, I should have done that while building the plane! Anyways, imo might it have been a cumulation of circumstances:

1) I'd mentioned that there wasn't enough up ailerons, instead of re-hinging I opted to bevel te LE of the aileron and TE of the wing portion (entire TE of the wiing as a whole is still square) where there was binding - this created a substantially larger gap along the entier length.

2) To get to 45degrees (at the field), I had to max out D/R settings (125%) AND Travel Adj (140%-150%) - so I had the HS-81's operating on their MAX limits of travel (should have moved the clevicis in 1st)

Reading thru the other posts, it seems like HS-81 should work; I'm still thinking of replacing the gears, and then limiting the max servo travel, plus seal the hinge gaps - and risk the same results sometime down the road Or switch to MG gears (does getting the MG gearset make my HS-81 -> HS-81MG?), or pull 3x JR DS368 from my other project for the E3D, or?

It took me about 5min to pull all the gear out of the E3D at the field before I took this shot; spent another hour and a half at the field, flew a couple of planes, thankfully with no further incidences.

Anyways, live and learn I guess, and thanks for reading thru my ramblings ...
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
Last edited by GregG; Oct 20, 2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 09:08 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Sorry about your accident. I hope the repairs go well.

I used to use HS-81mg but there is a lot of play in those gears.
I've gone to HS-85s now and what play I had has been greatly reduced. They also provide a little more torque.

One thing you can't seem to be able to do is to make a high speed dive. I alway cut the throttle on a long dive because it seems to be in a dive when I'm doing a shallow pull out and a slight turn is when I've heard it. I'm lucky to have never stripped any gears.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Oct 20, 2003, 07:27 PM
Another consuming hobby!!
Merritt Island, FL
Joined Dec 2002
64 Posts
Sorry Peter, always hate to see that happen. Guess it's part of the hobby though. I'm on my second E3D, lost the first one to 3D practice. Those Harrier landings are tough! I started with 85MG's and have had no problems - no stripped gears and no slop after lots of flights. I have the throws maxed out - mechanically and programming.
V8Ranger is offline Find More Posts by V8Ranger
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:53 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
696 Posts
Will the E3d hover on the MEGA motor 22/20/2 and 10 cells? I have been flying the Endo combo but would like to go brushless.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:59 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Brown
Will the E3d hover on the MEGA motor 22/20/2 and 10 cells? I have been flying the Endo combo but would like to go brushless.
http://www.megamotorusa.com/images/V...3D_Cascade.mpg

That should answer your question

-Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:39 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Ahh.. that is the video that made me think "mega works"
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 21, 2003, 02:53 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tram
Ahh.. that is the video that made me think "mega works"
Yep, that is one of the videos that sold me too. All of my larger planes are Megatized because of it.

Mike
Mike Parsons is offline Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:16 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,212 Posts
Yeh, My Sledge 540 will be getting a Mega..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram