HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by dag214, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,819 Posts
Discussion
151" Mossi (De Havilland Mosquito)

Well here we go. This is my next project after the 36.....

This design is about 90% done in CAD, she will need to be built in 3D to make sure all the parts will fit. I have been working on this on and off for over 2 years but the B36 is my highest priority. NOTHING more than design will happen on this until the B36 is flying. The reason I am starting this thread now is to share how I turn my CAD designs into 3D to make a working model to see how everything will work and fit, also I just ordered from the UK a set of real Mossi documents, manuals, and drawings from the original De Havilland Mosquito. This design will have peaks and valleys as I really only get design time late at night when I can't make noise.

IMHO this is one of the finest aircraft ever built!!!

Cheers,
DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post

This design is about 90% done in CAD, she will need to be built in 3D to make sure all the parts will fit. I have been working on this on and off for over 2 years but the B36 is my highest priority. NOTHING more than design will happen on this until the B36 is flying. The reason I am starting this thread now is to share how I turn my CAD designs into 3D to make a working model to see how everything will work and fit, also I just ordered from the UK a set of real Mossi documents, manuals, and drawings from the original De Havilland Mosquito. This design will have peaks and valleys as I really only get design time late at night when I can't make noise.

Cheers,
DAG
I concur.... I can't wait to see this come together...(May have to build one myself..but smaller?)
coptercptn is online now Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,479 Posts
Respect!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,674 Posts
Quote:

This design is about 90% done in CAD, she will need to be built in 3D to make sure all the parts will fit. I have been working on this on and off for over 2 years but the B36 is my highest priority. NOTHING more than design will happen on this until the B36 is flying.
Dag:
The Mosquito is in my top 3 favorite twin engine WWII twins. I'm intreasted in what programs are you using when designing. I know that this might open up into a huge debate as why are you doing that instead of this.
However the programs that you are using work for you; and that's all that really matters.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,240 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,
DAG
Considering what it was made of and how well it performed, you are absolutely correct, one of the finest. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Another journey begins - looking forward to this one Dag

Luke
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,819 Posts
Should have posted a few specs.....

Sorry...

151" span
weight 62-70 Pounds.
Power 2 each Hacker A100
Props-33-12-3
Main wheels-8"
The construction is going to be very close to the full scale in a few aspects. Wings, nacelles, V-stab, H-stab will be constructed close to the full scale masterpiece.
She will be VERY over powered, but I need the big motors to turn a scale 33" prop.

Just about everything but the nacelles, main gear, tail gear, and canopy are designed.

I hope to get the drawings done 100% by fall this year. I am also for the first time going to make the drawings a full set so if anyone wants any you can have them. I can scale them from a 80" up to about 220".

I may post often, or once a month, but as this design turns into a 3D design it get really hard, but really fun as you start to see what she will really look like when constructed.

Rock ON as always.....

DAG
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiBell View Post
Dag:
The Mosquito is in my top 3 favorite twin engine WWII twins. I'm intreasted in what programs are you using when designing. I know that this might open up into a huge debate as why are you doing that instead of this.
However the programs that you are using work for you; and that's all that really matters.
Rick
Well.....

Since I am 110% self taught it is kind of a mess who I do it. This may be wordy but I need to explain why I use a few programs I do. And I hate to say this, it is not really that easy to design the way I do....

1. First I find a ton a data.

2. I find a really clear PDF or a drawing that I can take a high res photo of.

3. Then I use Print2CAD 2011 ( http://www.backtocad.com/2011-engl-pdf-dwg.php )to convert a jpeg or PDF to CAD. This program cost about 150.00. This really helps me get it close to scale, but does a crappy job of importing so you get the out line right, but then have to clean everything up.

4. I open the DWG file created by Print2CAD with IntelliCAD ( http://www.autodsys.com/intellicad7.html ). This is the CAD system I learned on and love it. But any CAD system that will open a DWG file will work. Draft Sight is a free program that really rocks also. http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

5. Once I have a CAD file with the right dimensions I now take all the data and open Compufoil ( http://www.compufoil.com/index.shtml ). This is the greatest software in the world for making wings and stabs. But you have to design the wing from you data, you can not import your CAD design into this program...

6. Once I have designed the wing in Compufoil I now export a DXF file that I now go back to CAD and save as a DWG. Now I have a file that I can import into my 3D software. I use 3Ds max 5, a very old program a the new version cost over 4k. But there are many other 3D software out there, Rhino, and a bunch of others.

And I don't care if this design stuff opens up a huge can of worms, we are all learning, plus with this being on my blog, if it gets to crazy I can delete the post.

I hope this helps. I know it seems like a lot to do, but to date it has really worked for me in getting scale drawings to cut from.

Thanks, DAG
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,140 Posts
Super choice :-) And I will use the start of your construction as a reason to start mine, which will only be 81" built from Holman plans. Or better yet, get a set of your plans in that scale and follow along that way--lol. Except it would take me 10 times as long to do anything you do even if it is only half the size...Pete M
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,819 Posts
And here is the fuse stuff. I am now just starting to pull all this together. And don't worry the B36 got some TLC tonight with sanding on intakes....

DAG
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,674 Posts
Dag:
Hey thanks for that. I would love to learn how to design in CAD see if all the parts will fit and then send off a file to someone to laser cut the parts. You've given me a fair bit to look through
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2010
4 Posts
Don't want to de-rail this thread, but since this is about your next project I was curious what your plans are for the Emmaselle II. Is that project on hold, or will you continue to work on that as well?
pplace is offline Find More Posts by pplace
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2008
299 Posts
Excellent.
matthew73 is offline Find More Posts by matthew73
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:32 AM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplace View Post
Don't want to de-rail this thread, but since this is about your next project I was curious what your plans are for the Emmaselle II. Is that project on hold, or will you continue to work on that as well?
I am on the ropes, I really just have about 2 weeks worth of work to do on it, but the big problem is the motor and the ESC. I really don't want to ground the Emmaselle by swapping power systems. I am broke again on my funds for my planes so buy a new Hacker A-80 or A100 really won't work right now. I really enjoy flying the Emmaselle and can't imagine not having here flight ready.

The EII will fly one day, but most likely after the B-36 and before the Mossi.....

Thanks!!!!

DAG
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
384 Posts
I so like multi engines, especially electric . All the insight into the design process is fantastic and will help immensely for me and probably many others.

Thank you!!!
Ducky22 is online now Find More Posts by Ducky22