HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Oct 2006
38 Posts
Thanks Herb

Will use UHU Endfest now.

The reinforcing of the gear-area will commence first, yesterday evening
I was able to pre-install a modified HK-retract with 65mm wheels into my bird
which fit very nicely now. They will be very useful on grass...
loopsy is offline Find More Posts by loopsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Oman, Masqat
Joined Apr 2010
321 Posts
loopsy,

can you share with us your landing gear reinforcement pics im about to do mine.
Boostoman is offline Find More Posts by Boostoman
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:41 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Herb,

I followed your direction and re-enforced the retract area. I added epoxy and light ply to the same weak areas at the back of the mount and added one extra angle support. Covered holes and matched the paint as best as I could. I also glassed the center area just in case it was not glued well. As of now the tails and wing servos are all in and adjusted. I will also add lights in the wing tip tanks for that add little extra. No major surprises so far and for my first fiberglass CMP kit I like it. The fit and finish seem to be good quality,

Jeff
Lmeano_from_MO is offline Find More Posts by Lmeano_from_MO
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Lights are in the wing tip tanks. I used strip led’s lights from Hobbypartz. They are cheap and come in groups of 3 led’s that can be cut from the overall role. I used one and the dropping resister so it works with 5V servo power.
Last edited by Lmeano_from_MO; Nov 14, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:39 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Hi Herb and all the L-39/59 owners,

I received my L-59 yesterday from HK USA. It arrived in perfect shape. It was double boxed in a very sturdy outer-box and the parts inside were very well protected. Yea! I was a bit worried about the shipping, so got lucky I guess!

Herb,
I was following along with your T-45 build. Before I found your blog, I had bought my T-45 and parts on my own. Based on the HK thread and their recommendations, I had bought the heavy Lander metal fan 90mm 8s. plus the flat inlet adapter ring. Also the Lander all-metal retracts with brakes.
Then....I found your blog. I ended up following your advice and bought a Wemo Midi fan and the SK 1900kv motor. I was just about finished when trajedy struck. I fell over in my chair and smashed the plane

That was the 3rd plane I did that to during this past year. I am a disabled vet, suffering from chronic pain. The drugs make me sleepy, especially when sitting down and still. Working on the planes has helped by acting as a distraction for my brain, I just have to be careful and not set my planes down near me! I also crunched my dream 79" B-17 and a HK 70 Viperjet.

Sorry, back to my L-59. I am keeping this one away from my chair area!

Would that 6S 1900kv setup from your T-45 be enough for this L-59? You were so happy with it in your Hawk. Or, does this plane demand 8s for a decent power level?

I think my Lander all-metal retracts can work in this plane, they are only slightly heavier than the ones you used. The only thing I have noticed is the struts seem just slightly shorter for some reason. I would have to snip that sharp corner on the rear side of the wheel well off a bit to clear the wheel.

I just don't want to keep buying new parts to sit on the shelf unused. Money is getting tighter, but I will spend enough to make this a good, long lasting EDF.

I have ready this blog twice now and following your corrections. Thanks for all the great info you provide.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,480 Posts
My stock L-39 from RC Aerodyne had a stock 1900kv motor and I used a GensAce 60c 5000mah battery with it. I have a few videos.
Battery Comparo Gens Ace 60C vs GForce 40C (1 min 50 sec)

My L-39 inverted flying Markham Park (3 min 13 sec)

I repainted it myself. Lost it when I converted to an 8s setup which was to me better fitted to this jet, but I got impatient and used a 6S battery in it when I ran out of 8S batteries. Nevertheless as you can see from the videos the 6S setup was adequate.

It's good news that the HobbyKing packaging is better. I may just pull the trigger on the L-59 and use an 8S setup that is on the shelf right now.
L-39 jet 8S speed test flight (0 min 37 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
542 Posts
Nice work on the video's Urrl. Good editing, good information on your setups and right to the point. Nice flying plane, sorry to hear you lost it. I am thinking of getting this plane but I have too much stuff in the pipeline already. Nevertheless I probably still will. 8s are also my thoughts. Let us know if you rebuild.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:43 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Urll,
Thanks for posting those videos....very nice editing!
Yeah, the delimna....to 6s or not to 6s?
I would love to go with 8s....I have plenty of lipos to make that work, but...if I do it would be using than new Lander metal fan with the installed 1250kv motor. It is almost 2/3 more the weight of the Wemo.
I can't justify, especially to my wife, buying yet another 90EDF motor setup when I have 2 brand new ones sitting here. I am just worried that the Lander fan might be too heavy...or maybe at this size it wouldn't make that big of a difference?

I have to either go with the SK3 1900kv 6s in a Wemo Midi fan or the Lander 1250kv metal fan on 8s. Darn the decisions. I should have stuck with the
70mm size EDFs.

Thanks again for your post....really got me wanting to get mine done now!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
Fast Jets for Fast times
St. Peters MO.
Joined Nov 2007
1,210 Posts
Great video details Urrl !!

This is what I did to the nose retract ply mount, itís not pretty but it is very strong. I used 2 layers of 5oz glass to both sides of the bulkhead. I also modified the steering servo mount so accept a larger servo by notching the bulkhead to make room. This is what I came up with for the thrust line. I will remake fan mount bulkheads next to fit to the ducts.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:07 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
432 Posts
WOW Herb!! This thread has gone to the sky!! everyone is doing SO MUCH to make sure the retract area is bullet proof!! and us(the early birds) was just trying to keep it all together!! YES! i don't have my L 39 anymore, but i still love to see all the enthusiasm!! Thank you again for the GREAT thread Herb!! I am going to built the CMP BEA Hawk next
1moparman1 is online now Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,180 Posts
Can someone please recommend a motor, fan unit and ESC and UBEC for this plane? I just bought this model from HK and I would like to complete the package. Thanks!!
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo View Post
Can someone please recommend a motor, fan unit and ESC and UBEC for this plane? I just bought this model from HK and I would like to complete the package. Thanks!!
Captain. Go back and look at Herbs info on the best LIGHT setup
I ran a CS 12 blade 8s 100w and it flys just great. Herbs setup is still flying and I think everyone will agree with him. Remember to keep it as light as possible
1moparman1 is online now Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
357 Posts
hi. is it worth getting it from nitroplanes? seems to be a good deal $168 and $193 shipped to new york.
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
United States, TX, Cedar Creek
Joined Nov 2011
65 Posts
I ordered one from Nitro Monday evening, it should arrive Friday. I have my fingers crossed that Nitro shipped out a non-damaged one and United Parcel Smashers does a good job in transit.
Redbiscuits is offline Find More Posts by Redbiscuits
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Mach One
Joined Apr 2011
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1 View Post
Captain. Go back and look at Herbs info on the best LIGHT setup
I ran a CS 12 blade 8s 100w and it flys just great. Herbs setup is still flying and I think everyone will agree with him. Remember to keep it as light as possible
Thanks - I have not received this plane yet but I am very anxious to get her built.
I will go back and check Herbs setup. What is the best way to find out other than reading the whole thread, which I will do eventually, but would like to order parts now.
captain MoMo is offline Find More Posts by captain MoMo
RCG Plus Member