HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:18 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
The retract mount itself is just a simple balsa & ply box, with some extra epoxy
and a tiny bit of carbon cloth it should probably be ok.

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:24 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
One additional small nuisance is that they sent me a replacement wing, but no replacement hardware (such as custom white plastic flap horns).

So I will have to make those, as well as all the other linkage & servo mount hardware. Some I will have to take out of the old wing.

Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I'm almost done with the wing work ...

First I needed to fabricate with ply new flap horns.

Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:51 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
For the wing itself I found it easier to use several layers of thin ply (like a ply sandwich) instead of one thick piece.

This way it is easier to get the ply to fit properly, and easier to insert the pieces in the various narrow openings.

The various ply parts were first glued in place with ca, then later I used a hysol gun to put an epoxy fillet in various corners, which normally are not so easy to reach.

I hope the new wing fix will last a long time

Last edited by Herb; Jul 06, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:13 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Wing's done, all I need now is a neat way to secure that covering back in place

Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:23 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Herb now that your SO GOOD at redoing the L 39 wing you should redo MINE and anyone else that need it
and yes we will pay you for it! right guys??
1moparman1 is offline Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Mopar Thanks I already have a day job ...

Believe me if you just buy some light thin ply that you can cut even with a scissor and put those pieces in one by one left and right the way I did it with some ca and epoxy - more or less, it does not have to be perfect at all - you will get a wing that's 100 times better than the original one.

I weighted the complete new wing with servos, retracts etc. after the modifications and it weighs 32.9 oz, the old w/o any mods (but with lights) was 33.2 oz, so the new wing is lighter

But I think that's due to the fact that the new wingtip tanks I got must have been lighter.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I used some scotch tape to close up the covering where I had it cut up (I thought of using blenderm tape but the paint does not stick well to it at all).

I then sprayed some tamiya acrylic over it ... If you don't know what happened to that wing you won't even notice - I think

Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
I noticed that the fit between wing and fuselage is not so perfect on mine ... there was some sideways rocking play, and I don't want the wing to flutter off in flight

So I used some silicone to close the gap on the sides and the front. One could use just some foam instead (there's some specifically for that purpose I think, wing saddle foam, but I didn't have it).

Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:32 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
On Sunday I finally had two flights with the L-39 and the new wing. I had to re-trim the ailerons and that was it.

The wing and retract mounts feel really solid, even though the landings were greased pretty much both times. I really like the bigger CMP wheels. They are just the right hardness...

The L-39 looks good in the air
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:47 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
looks great, I'll have to wait till i finish 2 planes before i can rebuilt the wing on my L 39 i have the ME 309 then i need to built my friends CMP PBY Catalina
He has been waiting this whole Year
1moparman1 is offline Find More Posts by 1moparman1
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:05 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Mopar, I thought the same thing: That it would be a long and complicated process.

In the end I did the whole job in an afternoon or so. It is pretty straightforward, and the L-39 is - in the end - a nice flyer with very gentle flying characteristics.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
First Herb, congratulations on your L-39 Albatros review. I have read all the thread and it is a amazing job.

Second about my self, I fly RC Models for at least 15 years now, but I'm new to EDF models I never add or flew one. So I have a lot of doubts and questions regarding this type of models.

I have the L-59 Albatros HobbyKing version.

So my first question is:

Herb, what material have you used to reinforce the air ducts?
It is carbon wire? Where can I get it?
ARamos is offline Find More Posts by ARamos
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Thanks

I am currently in Sun Valley ID enjoying cool breezes for a few weeks ...

But yes I used carbon tow from the Composite Store http://www.cstsales.com/ and you can get it there for a few $, nothing fancy. Carbon is better/stiffer/lighter but fiberglass cloth or tape will work as well.

Perhaps the most important point with these CMP fiberglass edf kits is to keep them LIGHT.

Do not add useless whistles and bells that are only good for internet flying - but ultimately detract from the flying characteristics.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Hi Herb, I hope you are enjoying your vacations on Sun Valley ID, and thanks for taking some time to answer my questions.

I have this ESC that I'm planing to use HobbyWing Platinum-120A-HV-PRO http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=189

It seams a very nice and decent ESC, I bought this for a T-Rex 600E but I never used, is brand new.

So, my next step is to buy the EDF power system, Fan, Motor and Batteries, but more I read, more I get confused there are so many options on the market.

Herb you are flying this model so what do you recommend:

What Fan, 10 Blades, 12 Blades, brand?
What motor KV, Number Cells, brand?
What Batteries, 8S, 10S 4000mah or 5000mah, brand?

Best regards,
ARamos

PS,
What is your total weight of your model?
ARamos is offline Find More Posts by ARamos