HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
United States, CA, Millbrae
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
they should have know we can't remove the wing tip tanks
Ya, if i do all the work from the bottom maybe i don't need to touch the top and just paint the bottom i may get new struts too.
1moparman1 is offline Find More Posts by 1moparman1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,535 Posts
I had to repair the damaged wings twice where the landing gear went through the top of the wing. The second time I used plywood instead of balsa. It's been through about ten flights so far with no problems, but I have improved my landings also so no more bouncy landings in the future hopefully.

Working with Monokote for the first time was not as hard as I thought. I used their little teflon coated iron to take out the wrinkles and seal the Monokote to the wing surface, then painted the wing with spray cans of camo paint found at my local auto store.

Slow flying with 6S but hopefully the new 60C batteries I ordered will arrive tomorrow and I should get a bit more speed.
My L-39 inverted flying Markham Park (3 min 13 sec)

As for the struts having a lot of play I clamped all outer end joint parts slightly with pliers so when you insert the inner parts there is a tighter fit.

I notice the landing gear were bottoming out while the jet was stationary; anyone else notice this? Anyway I stretched the inner springs of the landing gear for more strength; also I experimented with adding stretched inner springs from ball point pens inside the stock springs for more strength.
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl
Last edited by urrl; May 28, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:59 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,808 Posts
I see that HK have released their L59 version.. (ordered mine already...)
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old May 29, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2010
1,535 Posts
Now that one I would not repaint.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html

I was about to say why label it an L-59 till I googled it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_L-59_Super_Albatros

It would be unfortunate to have to remove such a nice wing covering to reinforce the wing with plywood though. Hopefully your landings will be very gentle. I suppose you could reinforce the innards with fiberglass cloth though.
Last edited by urrl; May 29, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:35 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1 View Post
they should have know we can't remove the wing tip tanks Ya, if i do all the work from the bottom maybe i don't need to touch the top and just paint the bottom i may get new struts too.
Yes and make sure they include the wingtip plastic light lenses

The reason for doing the strengthening from the bottom is not to ruin the wing top (unless you completely trash the wing on a botched landing).

The reason the main mounts are weak (see the pictures I posted earlier) is the ribs and spars where the mounts are anchored are weak. So those have to be redone, not so much the wing top.

As with other wings with similar construction, the retract load is spread out to the wing via the ribs and spars. The top sheeting is not where the load is supposed to get absorbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Yes, that's the third CMP L-39 paint scheme that I posted on the first page of this thread. Same identical airframe, different paint job, same wing.

Url looks like you trashed that wing pretty badly on a landing.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old May 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
... I notice the landing gear were bottoming out while the jet was stationary; anyone else notice this? Anyway I stretched the inner springs...
Yes http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=96

I switched mine out before the maiden, I used stiffer springs and later a rubber inset.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Herb did u also did a CMP Hawk?
How's that one ? The wing?
I got one of those too!
Old May 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster View Post
Ohh God... Finally !!! It's been more than 3 months since the video shown on youtube...

I also ordered mine... Hope to receive soon and in good condition...

Ozgur

PS: Do you have any idea why the HK only sticks to single paint job? Like this L-39 (or 59) and as they did on T-45 (or hawk)???
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old May 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1 View Post
Herb did u also did a CMP Hawk? How's that one ? The wing? I got one of those too!
Yes

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1336098&pp=100

For some reason the wing retract mounts are better (stronger) on the T-45. Apart from looks, I think overall the CMP T-45 / Hawk is a better (sturdier) design.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgur View Post
... Do you have any idea why the HK only sticks to single paint job? Like this L-39 (or 59) and as they did on T-45 (or hawk)???
Because that's how CMP makes them ...

http://www.chinapro09.com/oem.html

http://www.cmpairplane.com/EP-Airplane%20Products.html

They deliver different paint jobs for different distributors (Nitroplanes, Scaleflying / RC Aerodyne / Hobbyking / X-Flight etc).

The airframe is always exactly the same (Although some are convinced the CMP Hawk only flies well in white/red trim, and not in black/blue )

Last edited by Herb; May 29, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined May 2009
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Because that's how CMP makes them ...

http://www.chinapro09.com/oem.html

http://www.cmpairplane.com/EP-Airplane%20Products.html

They deliver different paint jobs for different distributors (Nitroplanes, Scaleflying / RC Aerodyne / Hobbyking / X-Flight etc).

The airframe is always exactly the same (Although some are convinced the CMP Hawk only flies well in white/red trim, and not in black/blue )

Dear Herb,

Speaking for myself I learned lots of things from your T-45 thread and according to me you are among a few guys who knows really how a BUILD thread should be... So this thread would be very helpfull for my L-39/59 built...

All those distributors are selling the planes to a different prices, so do you think that they are ordering their batch in different qualities or they are all produced in same quality matter by CMP?

Ozgur
ozgur is offline Find More Posts by ozgur
Old May 29, 2012, 03:19 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Hi Ozgur, Thanks

I think it's exactly the same plane, built exactly the same way but spray painted a different color

The price, well that's determined by volume discounts and market forces

HK and NP generally seem to have higher volume and near non-existent support = low prices. The HK price on the CMP L-39 is surprisingly low, maybe they read the internet and found out about the weak wing structure ?? Who knows, I am just speculating.
Old May 30, 2012, 04:00 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Since I received the kit, that thick white canopy frame looked always a bit suspicious (and ugly). Camo on the whole plane - and then that thick bright white frame ??

I decided to improve the looks a bit, by masking and painting over part of the canopy.

The canopy frame is now a bit thinner and I think more realistic. Some touchup still needs to be done .... Let me know what you think

Old May 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,535 Posts
That looks great. I tested my new 6S 5000mAh 60C batteries today. Not a lot of improvement, but when I arrived back home I replaced the 5 blade EDF with a 12 blade. Hopefully a test flight tomorrow. Here's the battery comparison test.
Battery Comparo Gens Ace 60C vs GForce 40C (1 min 50 sec)
Old May 31, 2012, 10:03 AM
Joined Apr 2011
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl View Post
That looks great. I tested my new 6S 5000mAh 60C batteries today. Not a lot of improvement, but when I arrived back home I replaced the 5 blade EDF with a 12 blade. Hopefully a test flight tomorrow. Here's the battery comparison test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxvYtQtXObc
Herb that looks great! Your planes always looks great.
Urrl watch for higher amp from the CS 12 blade
I have that on 8s 4000 and it pulls 103amp 3000w
But it sounds SO good