HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:45 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Build Log
ALZRC 450 pro V2, More bling then JLo!

Im a newbie to CP helis, this will be my first build so i will need lots of help! I have been watching the Finlessbob build videos and also been asking Beenflying for advise (thank you!). So i started off with building the SKD head, i took it apart, packed the thrust bearings full of grease, first thing i noticed that Beenflying didn't mention is that there was 3 shims against the grip bearing under the thrust bearing. It was a little surprise to me due to no one else mentioned these. I put the bearings back in and got the feathering shaft all assembled. Now one thing Finlessbob didn't mention but i saw in the instruction manual was that they said to put grease on the feathering shaft it self! I did not do this, i only did the bearings, I did loctite the feathering shaft but should i take it apart to grease the shaft too? Also i noticed that one grip is spaced farther away from the head then the other, I looked at Beenflyings photos and his looks the same too but it could be the angle? Is this normal or is something wrong? I snugged the feathering shaft screws pretty good, i didnt want to go to much and strip out the screw/driver. heres some pictures.

Hot_Wheels is online now Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
List of upgrades so far
ALZRC Metal gear servos DS45MG

ALZRC hardened hardware

ALZRC SKD head

ALZRC aluminum battery holder

ALZRC aluminum anti-rotation bracket

ALZRC aluminum canopy holder

ALZRC aluminum tail holder

Micro Heli main bearing supports

Ebay aluminum tail holder

Align main shaft

Align 80 durometer dampers (i couldnt find the Curtis Youngblood's locally but these seemed alot stiffer then stock SKD ones.

Align main gear assembly

Copter X 3x1000 gyro

Walkera devo RX

Are there any upgrades i dont have? i want to build the badest 450 clone, What do you guys think of the black ALZRC swash? Should i get a polished one to match the rest or leave it black to break up the color a little?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:31 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,794 Posts
That's going to be one nice heli when it's finsihed.

The grease on the feathering shaft is to allow it to slide freely in the dampers. Then when the heli spins up the blade holders will centralize themselves.

When it comes to tightening screws I'm a keen believer in letting the thread lock do it's work. In other word never lean heavily on any screws. Just nip them tight. I've always done this and I've never had a screw come loose. Over tightening screws just weakens the thread or the screw itself.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Hey Davis i will take the shaft apart and grease =(. What about the gap on one of the blade grips, is that normal? did you notice one of the blade grips was spaced further away from the hub? Im starting to position my electronics, Im using a Hobby-Wing 40a Pentium esc, can i shorten the RX wires on the esc and move the magnet further down the wires? why do they have a magnet? I wasnt sure if the length was crucial to function, its about 12 inchs long. Should i go with a better ESC? I got this one on a impulse buy but i think i should have gone with the platinum or maybe a castle 50a?
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:46 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,794 Posts
No problem shortening the lead or moving the ferrite ring. It's not a magnet, it's ferrite and it stops high frequency noise getting to the receiver. Just make sure you don't change the number of turns through the ferrite ring.

The HW 40A ESC is a good ESC. It's only flaw is that it doesn't have a very soft start, so you have to progressively open the throttle to avoid the heli spinning around. That has never bothered me in the past.

David
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Thanks for the info david, Im definitely going to shorten the wire once i get all my electronics positioned. I took the head apart put grease on the shaft, zeroed out the cyclic servos and started to work on the tail. I was adding the CNC tail slider and i couldint get the philips screw off the grip, I tried heating it with no luck, finally the screw just snapped and the other half is stuck in the grip! i cant get it out, clean break. Also one of the bearing block screws on the tail housing was stripped! the control arm pivot screw would not come out and the screw head started to strip! so at this point i think i will replace the orginial with a Align piece.

Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
So i got my parts from readyheli.com very quickly and the build continues.. Im not really thrilled with the ALZRC metal slider, the tail was not moving very well so i spent a hour trying to play with it to get it to move someone freely (it still is a little tigh). the problem with the metal sliver is it does not have a raised side so that it can make contact with the tail blade grip flus, wher as the plastic one is raised on one side so it sits flush against the grip, i tried useing shims to make it lay 90 degrees but it still would cause some binding, i found the best way was not to tighten the screw all the way down this allowed for it to move free, now this kind of scares me because im souly relying on the thread lock to hold the screw in. I will get some close up pictures later of what im talking about..

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
small update, added Rankon adjustable motor mount, this piece is a must for any 450 pro!! will help make gear changed super easy! no need to remove servos to set up proper gear mesh. I ordered a couple more parts frok Hk-parts.com, hopefully they will be here by this week so i can continue the build.

Last edited by Hot_Wheels; Feb 27, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
You gonna let me fly that thing?
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
467 Posts
Where you gonna put the flybarless controller? That devention rx takes up all the room. If its the same size as an rx2801 you could put it in the frame and mount your controller on the boom block. By the way it looks very nice, can't wait to see the finished article .
fishfiend is offline Find More Posts by fishfiend
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch1100 View Post
You gonna let me fly that thing?
sure if i dont crash it first.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
Where you gonna put the flybarless controller? That devention rx takes up all the room. If its the same size as an rx2801 you could put it in the frame and mount your controller on the boom block. By the way it looks very nice, can't wait to see the finished article .

the Copter x flybarless controller will fit perfectly in the middle of the frame on the plate. I was hoping the devo 7 rx would have been narrower and would fit there as well but its not! thanks for compliment, as soon as my hk order comes in i will finish it!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Hot Wheels, I want to thank you for making this thread. I have been looking at the ALZRC kits for some time but couldn't find anyone building one.
How do you think the quality compares to the Tarot clones? Those two seem to be the best Align clones out there.
TexasC is offline Find More Posts by TexasC
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasC View Post
Hot Wheels, I want to thank you for making this thread. I have been looking at the ALZRC kits for some time but couldn't find anyone building one.
How do you think the quality compares to the Tarot clones? Those two seem to be the best Align clones out there.
Im not sure how it compares the Tarot, reading some build threads on the tarot i know there where some issues with swash plates and canopies coming cracked. I have none of these issues with the ALZRC. My only complaint was the tail section, a couple of screws broke and stripped. Everything else is super high quality and going together good. The canopy is 99% high quality Align clone, if it said Align I dont think you could tell the difference. Came with nice silicone and threadlock.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
I may go the flybarred version. I'm a newbie and I'm not comfortable with the thought of setting up a flybarless gyro system. Seems complicated. Plus, I've heard that a flybarred heli will still fly fairly well if something is a little off in the setup whereas a flybarless system needs to be dialed in perfect.
TexasC is offline Find More Posts by TexasC