HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:38 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo.b View Post
dankar04, congrats for the new heli. It certainly looks very beautiful.
Got some questions tho, since you have the best helis on this size. Wich one is faster? Wich one is heavier? Wich one would you pick as your best micro heli and why? And wich one is more durable?
I have a cb100, mSR and 9958. And I'm planning to buy this one too. Idk if I'll buy the v911 first tho.
thanks!
I also own a variety of micro heli (SP 260A, SP 270A, CB100, 9958, V911, 100S / 100X), so probably I can summarise how I feel about the helicopters.

SP 260A - Fast flight, can be a bit difficult to handle for beginners.
SP 270A - Very stable, crisp control. Slower forward flight compared to 260A.
CB100 - Stable, requires very precise stick movements. Not for beginners.
9958 - Stable, fast flights, a bit of tendency to slide in air. Weak main motor.
V911 - Stable, fast flights, very fast rudder turns.
100X - Stable, fast flights, tends to slide in air. Very quiet flyer.

I find that I tend to fly my 100X a bit more compared to the others in my fleet as it is well balanced in terms of controls and speed. I use the Turnigy 9X to fly it. So far, my 100X has been durable (way better than my 100S) and the tail holds throughout the flight.
TFMeouch is online now Find More Posts by TFMeouch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:36 AM
Joined Jul 2012
2 Posts
TFMeouch,

hmm tnks for your answer, I guess I'll buy first the v911 to practice even more. 9958 is annoying me a little bit, when I put throttle too fast it some times spin to the left, idk if its just mine, idk how to fix this either, what I know is that I almost crash everytime It does it in the midle of a curve.
CB100 is my favorite so far, cause it's heavier, I like heavy helis, although I don't do half the movements I do on my 9958 cause I get afraid to crash.
mSR is a bullet, but I crashed so many times it's not working anymore. =[
I'll prob get the v911, a good simulator cause mine is not good (using ps3 controller) and then I'll buy the 100x.. after a little fun with it I'll get the v120d01 or 4#6s. Then I'll pass to collective and 3D helis.
paulo.b is offline Find More Posts by paulo.b
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:18 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
+1 on the 4#6
I haven't kept up with the current models. But if you want a 90`flybar, this is the one. And if it's too big, you can cut it down to 100size quite nicely.Actually, there are only 2 that I know of left...the 4#3 helimax model and the 4#6 [125FP?]....does walkera sell these with their brand on them any more?
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:52 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
Great summary, guys! Let me add the MSR. I'll quote you on the helis that I have and add to it in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFMeouch View Post
9958 - Stable, fast flights, a bit of tendency to slide in air. Weak main motor. Very slow piro rate.
V911 - Stable, fast flights, very fast rudder turns.
100X - Stable, fast flights, tends to slide in air. Very quiet flyer.
MSR - Stable, fast flights, fastest piro rate that I've ever seen, has a number of built-in mixes that help you while learning but which eventually require learning to cope with or "editing out" with a DX6i as you get more advanced.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
5,541 Posts
I would say the mSR has too fast a piro rate. But it's great for showing off.

The v911 has the perfect piro rate for me.

I like the v911 RX in everything. Hmmm...maybe I should try putting it on my mSR. why hadn't I thought of that before? Probably cuz it's parts are still pricey.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I would say the mSR has too fast a piro rate. But it's great for showing off.
Yup! I dial mine down with D/R of 70% or so but give it negative expo to make its response more "bang/bang" than proportional.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,530 Posts
OK, a bunch more flying time and update. Having more than a few mico's heres my spin on these micos. T-Rex 100X is smoothest, right close is Solo-Pro 270A. The V911 is fine but rudder is very sensitive as the 9958. 9958 is very quick and will drift. Solo-pro 260A is very fast but a good flyer. My 328 is little to big for a small area and will be a good flyer. I just recieved my T9X tx and need to set it up. Good ole Hobby King sent it with no instructions. Lucky for me my neighbor has two F/Sky 9X which is same radio. Difference he paid $20.00 more for his. ..ha.ha. I like small tx for V911/T-Rex 100X as its easy to handle and work well. All these helis are fine, only divot is 260A and very weak l/g , get a Extreme set from Club heli and you should be fine. The 260A is smallest of batch and also lightest. Put the nose down and give it power be prepared as it will haul.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
For those of you who have tried out the Xtreme Precision Metal SwashPlate

http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem..._p/at10003.htm

what are your thoughts? How does the performance improve in terms of cyclic authority? It looks like there's a 4 combinations you can set on this between having 2 arm lengths and 2 linkage lengths.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
My Corter Is Borken
United States, OH, Newark
Joined Jun 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I use white paper plate with white pillow case under it. Little parts stick out like a rasin in bowl of grits.
LOL That's a good one.
MC808 is offline Find More Posts by MC808
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
I soldered on an eflite connector to my 100X's skids tonight and tried a Turnigy 160mAh Nano-Tech. I was kind of underwhelmed by its performance overall. To be honest, this heli doesn't seem to have a whole lot of thrust even with the stock battery. I'm running my T9x with an endpoint of 125% on the throttle channel but the head speed just seems slower than my other helis and indoors I'm having a harder time keeping it in the air. I took off the plug and the little wire that I had attached to keep the Turnigy battery lashed to the skids, so I'll fly it once more on the stock battery and see how that goes. Maybe that fancy canopy is just too heavy or something.

I haven't tried flying it outdoors yet but I have to wonder if it'll have the power to push through the air like my other helis.

I counted the teeth on the main motor and there's 9 of them. I wonder what this thing would do if I put a motor with an 8 (9958) or 7 (V911) tooth pinion on it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
Well, that's weird. I de-soldered the eflite plug and removed the wire and measured them : Just ~0.5 grams. I flew the bird on its second stock battery and I had better throttle performance than before. I guess that extra 0.5g over 4 minutes really makes a difference?

I definitely need to try the Xtreme swashplate with the shorter servo arms. This thing needs more cyclic authority

The tail also needs some re-trimming after flying for a while.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
My Xtreme swashplate arrived today. Overall, it looks good.

Weightwise, It's 1.83g compared to the stock swashplate at 1.04g.

I will say that I flew both my stock batteries with this swashplate installed tonight and I did NOT encounter lack of power like I did last night after I soldered on an Eflite battery plug. Weird! But good at least. I got two very good flights out of it.

I put it on and put the servo linkages on the inner set of balls on the swashplate arms. After mechanically trimming to neutral hover, I find that I can still bind the swashplate against the rotor head if I give it maximum elev/aile in either direction. Definitely have some good servo throw here! The trick is going to see whether I can tame down the servo throw on my T9x/er9x so that I still get the max throw when I'm all the way forward with elevator OR aileron but the curves get "rounded" at the sides so that I don't bind the swash!

I'm sure I can do that with the power of er9x...now I just have to figure out how!

In my haste to see the extreme range of the servo throw, I did bang the canopy up a little bit. This canopy is certainly starting to look worse for ware after a few crashes. Good thing I've got a spare.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,530 Posts
T-Rex 100X bind with V911 TX ?

My T-Rex 100X has set up on long arms of swashplate and with stock TX is a little hot in small area. The TX doesn't have dual rates so heli is set at hi-rate flying. I wonder if my V911 will bind as it has low rates, or better yet my V929 TX as it has four rates. Just want all controls to be all the same. I hear 9958 will bind but controls get changed. I do have T9X but no instructions came with it.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
The V911 TX should probably work--just be sure to hold the heli's skids down when you first try to spool up! I almost had a flyaway when trying to bind to my T9x.

If you want instructions for the stock T9x, here they are:

http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/07/turnigy-9x-manuals/

Courtesy of our friend and modder, Daryoon. I HIGHLY recommend using the T9x with your V911. Youtube has some videos of setting up the stock T9x with the V911. I based my TRex T9x settings on the V911 settings. You just have to be careful because a couple of the channels are reversed. I don't have my TX with me right now but PM me later tonight if you'd like me to send you my channel settings.

Now, I've flashed my T9x with er9x though and so that made it trivial to copy the settings over and get everything working juuust right. The trick now will be to create a custom elevator/aileron mix so that I don't go to the extremes of both at the same time and bind my new Xtreme swashplate.

Another reason why you could consider putting er9x on your T9x (I got a smartieboard--worth every penny of the extra $ to me!) is that you can download pre-built programs for it and download them into your computer. For instance, I started with Daryoon's programs as a base and customized them a little to fit my taste:

http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/06/wl-...ings-for-er9x/
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,310 Posts
Can I just say how awesome er9x is?

I just created a mix for my TRex 100X which gives me maximum throw on elevator if I give it NO aileron, and maximum throw on aileron if I give it no elevator. However, if I give it elevator AND aileron together, the two will scale each other down by a custom curve such that at maximum elevator AND aileron, I'm only giving each around 65%.

This lets me get the maximum possible throw out of my Xtreme swashplate for each channel separately but reduces the throw when the two channels together push the swashplate so far down or so far up that it causes it to bind.

Now to go outside this weekend and test it! Just gotta wait for the rain to let up...
RCG Plus Member