HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:15 AM
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmore View Post
To be honest, its really hard to tell..

Almost every Heli thread I've read, every heli has an issue one way or another.
I've been reading all the main heli threads for the past few Days, Solo Pro, V911, MSR... All Fixed Pitch Flybar, and I haven't seen one that didn't have issues, be it flybar strikes, replacement tail booms (extended) or using different tail blades/rotors.

I will say the Trex is very finicky as to what you do to it. You have to pay careful attention as one little thing could throw off the entire flight experience. i.e. I had finally trimmed and setup my 100x, broke a set of blades and upon replacing them got the Toilet Bowel Effect... So I had to take them off again and lube the feathering shaft and assure when I put them back on they did not bind.

As for what i would recommend to a beginner, I'm not sure to be honest.. If I wasn't a tinkerer, and enjoyed working with my hands and figuring things out. I would have been a VERY unhappy Customer. It just took abit to much tinkering and trimming to get it to fly right out of the box.

Others such as the Solo Pro may fly better right out of the box with out any toying / tinkering. But it will have its own issues sadly, and may not fly as well as a tweaked Trex.

Keep in mind too, the 100x is only Aligns 2nd entry into the 100size, where Blade has the MSR, MSRX, MCP, MCPX and so on, Nine Eagles has the Spirit, Bravo SX, Solo Pro, Solo Pro v2, Solo Pro 260a and Solo Pro 270 now, so they may have abit more learning to do.

I would suggest reading thru a few of the larger popular heli threads and see what you find as well.
Thank you for your opinion ;-) I'll continue reading...
F33A is offline Find More Posts by F33A
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmore View Post
I will say the Trex is very finicky as to what you do to it. You have to pay careful attention as one little thing could throw off the entire flight experience. i.e. I had finally trimmed and setup my 100x, broke a set of blades and upon replacing them got the Toilet Bowel Effect... So I had to take them off again and lube the feathering shaft and assure when I put them back on they did not bind.

As for what i would recommend to a beginner, I'm not sure to be honest.. If I wasn't a tinkerer, and enjoyed working with my hands and figuring things out. I would have been a VERY unhappy Customer. It just took abit to much tinkering and trimming to get it to fly right out of the box.

Others such as the Solo Pro may fly better right out of the box with out any toying / tinkering. But it will have its own issues sadly, and may not fly as well as a tweaked Trex.

Keep in mind too, the 100x is only Aligns 2nd entry into the 100size, where Blade has the MSR, MSRX, MCP, MCPX and so on, Nine Eagles has the Spirit, Bravo SX, Solo Pro, Solo Pro v2, Solo Pro 260a and Solo Pro 270 now, so they may have abit more learning to do.

I would suggest reading thru a few of the larger popular heli threads and see what you find as well.
I think this sums it up very well. It's a very touchy heli, a slight problem will already affect flight, even though at first sight there is nothing wrong. Even raplacing a part, which should usually not introduce a new problem, unless the new part is faulty. I agree with you Align probably needs more experience in this size class, we know the 100S started out as a mere Solo Pro V clone, and only later it was turned more into their own design, changing the rotor setup and more. But they need to make it perform more stable, not that someone sneezing on the other side of the world throws it off balance.

I think that for a beginner there are better options. V911, GW9959, Solo Pro V or 270, mSR (the classic one, not the flybarless "X" version) etc. Not perfect, but a more stable learning platform than Align's current offerings. And by the time you have reached the limits of any of these helis, although with some tweaking these can be pushed away quite a bit, Align might have the "100V2" or "100X2" by then, which has solved the finicky nature of the current versions.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Exactly, the v911 is a nice affordable heli, I've seen issues with bad boards and others doing some mods for better performance. But for the $$ I don't think you can beat it if you get a good batch.

I will say being new to the hobby myself, I did learn ALOT while tinkering with my, taking it apart, adjusting it and smoothing things out.
It would be a handful for a casual flier sadly I think, but can be a load of fun for a tinkerer and someone looking to explore I guess.

I'll be honest and say if you do get a 100x, still do a boom swap. the new tail is decent on the 100x, but I've found abit longer works better. I'm still using a mCPX boom on one of mine and a custom boom on the other. The last down fall of the stock 100x is the tail blades/motor, they can heat up and slip on the shaft, easily fixed with some CA or other glue.

I do hope to see more products in this size from Align.
Palmore is offline Find More Posts by Palmore
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jly26 View Post
i do have 100x..just be patient trimming it with its servo arm link first.my first 4 flights were uncontrolable,,then with mechanical trimming.then your good to go
Can you pls tell me in details how did you trim its servo arm link. I am newbie and this is my second heli and the first one is micro 3 channel co-axial. Thx,
maxbreaker is offline Find More Posts by maxbreaker
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2007
524 Posts
Couple questions on the A5 module -

1) Anybody use it with Android tablet or phone? I think in description it says Android but I didn't see any app on the market, and I've only seen in videos with Apple products.

2) Will the A5 bind with any other helicopter V911, Solo Pro, MSRX, or 9958?

3) Anything similar on the market to that A5 module?
jpconard is online now Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Couple questions on the A5 module -

1) Anybody use it with Android tablet or phone? I think in description it says Android but I didn't see any app on the market, and I've only seen in videos with Apple products.

2) Will the A5 bind with any other helicopter V911, Solo Pro, MSRX, or 9958?

3) Anything similar on the market to that A5 module?
1) I don't think the A5 transmitter works on Android OS. Trex marketed it as working with iOS, and I don't see any mention of it being supported for Android devices.

2) I have yet to try whether the A5 transmitter binds with other helicopters. If it does, the V911 stands a greater chance.

3) I have not seen anything like the A5 transmitter other than the cheap coaxial iphone helicopters. In any case, I think the A5 transmitter is quite gimmicky and not for advanced flights. Control responses are laggy and it is difficult to tame it in a confined area. When using a proper stick transmitter, it is a different story altogether.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
378 Posts
A5 on Android

I had considered getting a TREX-100s but bad reviews stopped me and I bought a few Xieda 9958's to tide me over while I waited for the 100x and the reviews on it. When I went to amainhobbies site (where I have been patiently awaiting the 100x to be in stock) there is verbage in the description as follows:

"But the most unique feature is that T-Rex 100X can be controlled through an iPhone or android device with an optional transmitter attachment (AGNHERA5001, not included - sold separately), allowing pilots to experience a completely unique flying experience." So apparently there is an android app that will operate this device as well. Maybe it comes on the included cd? The 100s had a similar statement in the description. The Android ability was one of the reasons i was looking at this heli to begin with.

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Anyone have issue with the transmitter screen went blank? Thx,
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbreaker View Post
Anyone have issue with the transmitter screen went blank? Thx,
Tried new batteries already?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Tried new batteries already?
Yes I did, the power is on but the screen also on but blank. Would Trex 100x bind with other trx? Thx,
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Yes I did, the power is on but the screen also on but blank. Would Trex 100x bind with other trx? Thx,
It can bind with the Turnigy 9x.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Great! Thanks SoloPro! Did you meant this model FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH ? Any low end model cause I need user friendly cause I am beginner.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,882 Posts
Quote:
Great! Thanks SoloPro! Did you meant this model FS-TH9X 2.4GHz 9CH ? Any low end model cause I need user friendly cause I am beginner.
That sounds like the one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Turnigy 9x is out of stock from hobbyking, don't know when they will have it but they have best price though.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F33A View Post
The thing is... do you recommend the 100X for a beginner? I mean, I have the patience and the time to learn, but my present heli is a Syma 107 and I don't know if the 100X would be a good option as next step.
I am a beginner and had Swann Lightning (like S107). I had 100x for over 2 weeks and first time can hover without crash for 1 battery and still need more trimming.
I love this little heli and wishing Align would continue with fbl and 3G.