HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:48 AM
Redlands, CA
Joined Nov 2008
87 Posts
Discussion
Align 100x

Bought Align 100 X Yesterday. I bought the heli without the transmitter. I guess its not the Super Combo. I was planning on using my I Phone as a transmitter. Very easy to assemble head now as the Jesus Bolt goes through the main shaft so there is no guessing as to where to place bolt and how tight to fasten it. Now it just goes through and you dont have to tighten it too much. Just applied CA on tail blade so it doesnt slip when the motor gets hot and also at the bottom of the main shaft so the main gear does not slip off. Setup of I Phone control easy. The only difficult part was trying to fly it with my Phone and I found it difficult to control as it was hard to use the screen interface which stand in for sticks. I also tried using the tilt function on my phone and it was also hard. I decided to try and bind it with one of my regular radios from my regular old Align 100 and it worked. The only down is that I cannot adjust the Gyro with the old radio.

The Heli flies excellent. Hovers hands off. The flybar is much larger and thicker and I am sure its one of the reasons the heli is stable and also quite responsive. Today I was also flying outside and it is quite good too when it is calm and there is a lot of space. The canopy also is made of a little more thicker plastic which I am sure makes it more durable.

I bought the Heli for $80 @ Ultimate Hobbies in So Cal I think it was worth it. I had burned out the board of my old 100 and replacing it with a new heli made a lot of sense as the little replacement boards are expensive. I would suggest if you are having probs with the original 100 just to buy the 100X and just bind it to your old radio. I feel like Align have done some work to fix some of the problems with the original design.

Will Post Pics Later
Daktari is offline Find More Posts by Daktari
Last edited by Daktari; Jan 26, 2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Sounds promising. I am an owner of the Trex 100S and is quite disappointed by how the heli handles and how fragile the servos are. The servos on mine kept failing for no reason, and that was after 2 changes of the receiver board.

I am quite keen to give it another try as I still have 2 brand new batteries lying around unused, and a tail motor which is still untouched.

If the Trex 100X binds with the Trex 100S transmitter, then I am quite certain it will bind on my Turnigy 9x transmitter. I will probably consider getting the BNF version if prices are good.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post

I bought the Heli for $80 @ Ultimate Hobbies in So Cal I think it was worth it. I had burned out the board of my old 100 and replacing it with a new heli made a lot of sense as the little replacement boards are expensive. I would suggest if you are having probs with the original 100 just to buy the 100X and just bind it to your old radio. I feel like Align have done some work to fix some of the problems with the original design.

Will Post Pics Later
I am glad to hear Align fixed most problems, that were first denied these ever existed, as the statement was that the 100s had no issues at all, all were user error... But shelling out another 80 bucks to get the heli they should have released in the first round, sounds like a bad joke. Does it really fly better than other helis that sell at less than those 80 bucks, completely RTF? For instance, how does it handle left banked tight radius turns now? The 100s plains s*cks at that, the tail just wiggles and struggles in that situation, no matter how much or less left aileron you apply.

And I wonder if they've improved the stock lipos, on my 100s I had the tail swing over 45 degrees counter clockwise on a throttle punch, and first deemed that a result of a bad tail motor setup. But lately I've tried some Xtreme 160 and 190 batteries, and especially the 160 makes the tail hold much more firm on a throttle punch, with the 190 mAh version being just a little less strong, but still much better than the 2 stock 150 mAh lipos that came with my 100s.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:51 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Just curious, what does the BNF version include? I can't find any information on it from the online store where I got my 100S from. The Super Combo cost US$92.95 and comes with one additional battery on top of the 2 that is in the package.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Is it flying properly after these days? I'm interested in buying one, but with the problems of the 100S I am not sure... Has Align finally made a fine product with the 100X?
F33A is offline Find More Posts by F33A
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
29 Posts
i do have 100x..just be patient trimming it with its servo arm link first.my first 4 flights were uncontrolable,,then with mechanical trimming.then your good to go
jly26 is offline Find More Posts by jly26
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
I get the impression the "X" is better than the "S". Still, I don't see a lot of Trex100 users raving about their heli, so either Trex100 pilots are:

a) very timid, and don't dare to speak about their good experiences

or

b) almost non existant
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I get the impression the "X" is better than the "S". Still, I don't see a lot of Trex100 users raving about their heli, so either Trex100 pilots are:

a) very timid, and don't dare to speak about their good experiences

or

b) almost non existant
I would guess option (b) is the most likely case.

I am one of those who foolishly bought the Trex 100S thinking that its going to be my next best helicopter. Sadly, it turned out to be trash and even the cheap V911 and 9958 flies much better than it.

With Solo Pro 270 out now, I think the Trex 100X is simply not competitive in terms of pricing. The SP 270 flies like how a Trex 100 should, and it is about 40% cheaper. I had harboured the thought of getting a Trex 100X BNF just to try out how it flies. That though disappeared after I bought my SP 270.

Perhaps the only thing I liked about the 100S was the quiet motors not to mention its USB battery charger, which I now use to charge my Solo Pro batteries.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Here in Spain the price of the 100X is a little higher than the Solo Pro, but nothing to worry about if you are buying a better quality product with the 100X. And that is the question... if it is really better. I'll wait to read more opinions...
Last edited by F33A; Feb 12, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F33A View Post
Here in Spain the price of the 100X is a little higher than the Solo Pro, but nothing to worry about if you are buying a better quality product with the 100X. An that is the question... if it is really better. I'll wait to read more opinions...
Perhaps the X is good, almost anything will be better than the 100S anyway. With the new Solo Pro 270 out, Nine Eagles made a real step up from the 260 or as it's often called, the Solo Pro V. I would even prefer to buy a 270 over getting a 100S for free. I doubt the 100X can make up for that difference, but even if it can match the performance of the other helis nowadays available, like the GW9958, V911 and older and current Nine Eagles products, it will always be more expensive, and if you only get a higher quality looking product for it, that will still perform identical to a cheaper heli, and not actually be of higher quality, I know where I would send my money...

But unless Align were to give me 100x to play with, I doubt I will ever learn how the X version performs, as I am not shelling out a penny for it.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jly26 View Post
i do have 100x..just be patient trimming it with its servo arm link first.my first 4 flights were uncontrollable,,then with mechanical trimming.then your good to go
The impression I get is

C) A lot of fan boys with out the time or patience to set their heli up. I have 2 Trex 100x's and I wont shell a penny out for a Solo Pro or otherwise, why? Cause this simply flies better.

Keep your chin up Trex 100 owners, enjoy your heli and don't listen to the nay-sayers that couldn't figure it out.

Most may assume this heli is for a beginner, but I'm assuming its a more step up from that, Sorry for those that can't figure out how to get it to fly correctly and hover. I've been able to do so with Stock Trex 100x, 100s and mod parts.
Palmore is offline Find More Posts by Palmore
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,531 Posts
Jeff Fastbinder put out some videos on these 100x...
T-REX 100X Introduction (19 min 57 sec)

And the A5 iPhone controller:
T-REX 100X A5 (23 min 45 sec)
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:45 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
I wonder what there is to set up about a tail that keeps spinning, even after trimming it many clicks, only to find the trim resets itself the next flight, and you can do it all over again. While on any other heli I've had in my hands so far, Nine Eagles, Great Wall, etc, you trim it out right once, and then only need a few clicks on the tail to make up for difference in batteries. And it will hover neatly each flight.

I've tried to make my 100S fly well, placed the head on it a few times, to try different positions, tried loosening and tightening the mixer arms, long and short balls on the swash. Sometimes it was possible to get something close to handsfree hover for a few seconds, but then it would start swirling and do some pendulum things. Even with an Xtreme metal head, replacing blades, main shaft swash and CF flybar hover was still way less stable than on any other heli I have, or have seen flown. Of the well flying 100s I've not seen many that did good left banked turns, mostly you see the tail slide a lot. Perhaps some more sim time is needed to get that right, but somehow Align forgot to include their own heli in the sim they bundle with the 100s.

I'm not saying the 100s is a bad design, it certainly reveils eye for detail in how it is built, and it sounds and looks very well, but we have to admit it's Align's first outing in this small size, and perhaps some production was even out-sourced, so perhaps some corners were cut there. At least, the out of the box experience has been far from ideal for most, so it seems.

I don't get why this heli is aimed at intermediate pilots instead of more beginner level btw. It's a 45 degree setup, which means it should be auto-stabilizing. An intermediate pilot would most likely want more control, and less self stabilizing. If the only challenge lies in making it fly properly, than after you have achieved that, it would be time to directly move on to a heli that is more challenging to fly and not continue flying the 100s, I would expect. Like a 90 degree flybar, or flybarless. An "intermediate 45 degree heli" sounds to me a bit like a teenage size bike with trainer wheels. What target did Align aim this heli at?

Still, despite this, if I were to be given the chance to test the 100x, I would not refuse. It appears a lot of problems with the 100s (although at first any problem was denied) are fixed with the X-version, like a hole in the shaft to properly define the best position for the head. So I wonder how a well setup 100s flies, and in what aspects it will outperform all other helis in the same weight and size class.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmore View Post
The impression I get is

C) A lot of fan boys with out the time or patience to set their heli up. I have 2 Trex 100x's and I wont shell a penny out for a Solo Pro or otherwise, why? Cause this simply flies better.

Keep your chin up Trex 100 owners, enjoy your heli and don't listen to the nay-sayers that couldn't figure it out.

Most may assume this heli is for a beginner, but I'm assuming its a more step up from that, Sorry for those that can't figure out how to get it to fly correctly and hover. I've been able to do so with Stock Trex 100x, 100s and mod parts.
The thing is... do you recommend the 100X for a beginner? I mean, I have the patience and the time to learn, but my present heli is a Syma 107 and I don't know if the 100X would be a good option as next step.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2012
37 Posts
To be honest, its really hard to tell..

Almost every Heli thread I've read, every heli has an issue one way or another.
I've been reading all the main heli threads for the past few Days, Solo Pro, V911, MSR... All Fixed Pitch Flybar, and I haven't seen one that didn't have issues, be it flybar strikes, replacement tail booms (extended) or using different tail blades/rotors.

I will say the Trex is very finicky as to what you do to it. You have to pay careful attention as one little thing could throw off the entire flight experience. i.e. I had finally trimmed and setup my 100x, broke a set of blades and upon replacing them got the Toilet Bowel Effect... So I had to take them off again and lube the feathering shaft and assure when I put them back on they did not bind.

As for what i would recommend to a beginner, I'm not sure to be honest.. If I wasn't a tinkerer, and enjoyed working with my hands and figuring things out. I would have been a VERY unhappy Customer. It just took abit to much tinkering and trimming to get it to fly right out of the box.

Others such as the Solo Pro may fly better right out of the box with out any toying / tinkering. But it will have its own issues sadly, and may not fly as well as a tweaked Trex.

Keep in mind too, the 100x is only Aligns 2nd entry into the 100size, where Blade has the MSR, MSRX, MCP, MCPX and so on, Nine Eagles has the Spirit, Bravo SX, Solo Pro, Solo Pro v2, Solo Pro 260a and Solo Pro 270 now, so they may have abit more learning to do.

I would suggest reading thru a few of the larger popular heli threads and see what you find as well.
Palmore is offline Find More Posts by Palmore