HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Thanks. I'm building my two psu's into a case with my charger and plan on wiring them together to one outlet on the side of the case. I was just curious on how others had done it.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
A $6 plug strip works great. And you can plug in your heater too
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:10 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,121 Posts
sub
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:48 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Does anybody have a method of wiring the PSU to provide constant voltage regardless of current output?

I've tried:

Running ribbon wire 8 (-S) to ground through a resistor
Running ribbon wire 8 (-S) to ribbon wire 6(+S) through a resistor

In both cases, the voltage increases with current. I am trying to achieve the highest voltage output to avoid encountering the boost-buck problem when charging 3S (or 6S in a 24V system).
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:49 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
When I test mine (without adjusting voltage) they stay at virtually the same voltage for all loads. The only drop I get is in the external wiring.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Does anyone have a sense of how much longer the DPS-600PB will be available on eBay in bulk quantities? Is it reaching the end...if so, is there another server power supply that will replace it with a similar low price and great value?
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:00 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,611 Posts
The DPS -800 looks pretty good to me.

I have some and they work fine but not used them yet.

800 Watt and fully automatic fan speed control. Not too noisy even flat out.

Would be my current favorite for a 24V 1600 Watt supply.

See here for connections.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=958

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanon View Post
Does anyone have a sense of how much longer the DPS-600PB will be available on eBay in bulk quantities? Is it reaching the end...if so, is there another server power supply that will replace it with a similar low price and great value?
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at that one earlier...looks like it might be the next "hot" one. I hope the price comes down some on eBay though, it's still kind of high (compared to the good old dps-600pb at least).
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:47 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,292 Posts
What is the best way/or connectors to use to install banana plugs to the rack mount connectors of the PS. I have made 3 of these PS's and that was always the weak spot for me.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:44 PM
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Dec 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanon View Post
The IBM x3650 power supply (12.1v 69A) looks like a promising replacement.

Xandrois talks about it in his post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=683

Only $18.50 shipped for 2 from the ebay link below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-IBM-x3...51207238857%26
kingiggy262 is offline Find More Posts by kingiggy262
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
What is the best way/or connectors to use to install banana plugs to the rack mount connectors of the PS. I have made 3 of these PS's and that was always the weak spot for me.
I use 4mm bullets and just wedge them between the rack mount connectors, not the small opening, that would be impossible, but between the two sets where there is a larger opening. I use plenty of solder and make sure it gets hot enough. I have a really nice temperature controlled soldering station which helps a lot! It takes practice but you can get it with time. I also make sure I get solder on all points that come in contact.

I put two bullets on each lead and put them slightly in a V shape so that you can plug in two chargers next to each other (if you butt the bullets up next to each other with no separation there is not enough space to plug a second charger in). I actually made a little jig that I use to make sure the V shape is the same each time. I'll attach a picture showing the jig...the one on the left has the bullets on it ready to solder onto the PSU. If you end up making a jig like mine, a word of caution, be careful not to leave the iron on too hot as to wet the solder holding the jig together and then your jig falls apart. And two, don't solder the male bullets into the females...I've done both . The 4mm female bullets have a little hole in them (not sure why???). I just make sure that little hole is facing out and then don't get any solder near it and I'm usually fine .

Oh, and I want to add...the way I made the jig was first I carefully got two females soldered onto the PSU without a jig just the way I want them. Then I plugged in two males, put a 5mm female across the top of them and held it in place with a helping hand (I think that's what it's called...that little thing you get from Radio Shack, eBay...that has the aligator clips to hold things in place while you solder) and soldered them in place that way being careful not to get any solder on the males where they are plugged into the female 4mm bullets. Then pull the males out and you have your jig.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Jan 12, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingiggy262 View Post
The IBM x3650 power supply (12.1v 69A) looks like a promising replacement.

Xandrois talks about it in his post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=683

Only $18.50 shipped for 2 from the ebay link below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-2-IBM-x3...51207238857%26
Thanks kingiggy262, I'll check that one out.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2008
6 Posts
I have a problem with my hookup on my power supplys in 24V configuration as per Tjins site.

I shorted pins 6,9,10 on both units

hooked up units in series:
positive on #1 to negative on #2
positive output on #1 and a negative output on #2

I am only getting 12 VDC out of the series output connection?

I used my voltmeter and #1 power supply measuring voltage between the positive and negative poles I get 12 VDC, but measuring between the poles on #2 power supply reads 0 VDC.

Thanks for the help.
RappyTappy is offline Find More Posts by RappyTappy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:42 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RappyTappy View Post
I have a problem with my hookup on my power supplys in 24V configuration as per Tjins site.

I shorted pins 6,9,10 on both units

hooked up units in series:
positive on #1 to negative on #2
positive output on #1 and a negative output on #2

I am only getting 12 VDC out of the series output connection?

I used my voltmeter and #1 power supply measuring voltage between the positive and negative poles I get 12 VDC, but measuring between the poles on #2 power supply reads 0 VDC.

Thanks for the help.
Did you float the DC on the higher unit?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:04 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Nov 2008
6 Posts
see next post
RappyTappy is offline Find More Posts by RappyTappy
Last edited by RappyTappy; Jan 13, 2013 at 09:47 AM.