HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Well, I have been running it now connected in series for the past 30 min at full 47 amps with pins 11, the current share pins, connected and nothing is melting or blowing up, everything is functioning normally. I don't even have a resistor between them. Also, I checked with my VM and there is no continuity between pin 11 and ground. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this means you can make a power supply out of these PSUs to run either parallel or series and simply leave the current share pins connected all the time. I will just make a couple jumpers and use both when connecting in parallel and only the one when connecting in series. This makes things much simpler, but again, if I am missing something somebody please chime in. Thanks!
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
I wouldn't expect anything to 'melt' or burn but you're almost certainly pulling those current share pins outside of the voltage range they were designed to operate in. The question is, how well to they tolerate it. If they're not sensitive to being pulled above or below the rails then you sould be good to go. You probably should connect them in parallel and make sure the current share circuitry is still working correctly.
Dusey52 is offline Find More Posts by Dusey52
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
I see. I will test that out and report back...hopefully I will have time tomorrow to do the test.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusey52 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything to 'melt' or burn but you're almost certainly pulling those current share pins outside of the voltage range they were designed to operate in. The question is, how well to they tolerate it. If they're not sensitive to being pulled above or below the rails then you sould be good to go. You probably should connect them in parallel and make sure the current share circuitry is still working correctly.
Okay...so I had to get another watt meter, but I am done testing...drum roll please...results are that the current share pin still works as intended even after having run the two PSUs in series for an extended period of time, on full load. Here is the process I followed to test them. I tested two PSUs on my dummy load in parallel with the current share pins connected, verified that it was working, i.e. they were sharing current equally. Then, I left the current share pin connected, ran the same two PSUs for about 30 min at full 47 amps but this time connected in series, at 24v. Everything functioned normally. After 30 min at full load in series with the current share pins connected, I then connected the same PSUs in parallel and tested to see if the current share pin circuitry was damaged by running the PSUs in series with pins 11 connected. Fortunately it was not damaged in the least. The current sharing still functioned exactly as it had prior to connecting them in series, they still shared the load equally. Just for a sanity check, after all these tests were through, I disconnected the current share pins while running the PSUs in parallel just to see if it was making a difference and sure enough, without the current share pins connected one of the PSUs at was carrying about 90% of the load while the other only 10%! I reconnected the current share pins and instantly it goes back to 50/50…so yep, it’s definitely still working. It looks like we are good to go with this.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
That certainly seems to put the issue to rest. Once again your über load is reaping benefits.
Dusey52 is offline Find More Posts by Dusey52
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusey52 View Post
That certainly seems to put the issue to rest. Once again your über load is reaping benefits.
Yes, I owe the guys big time over there at electro tech online for helping put that baby together!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Oct 2007
50 Posts
Here is my latest creation. Made ten of 'em for Christmas gifts and to sell a few.

NO, I do not want to be in the business!

The case is .040 pre-finished aluminum found in scraps at my local sign company (a friend of mine). I used his sheer and brake to bend them and the binding post mounts. The case is held on with a space-age adhesive called shoogoo!

Wired for single power cord. Feet are angled plumbing washers (2 bucks for 40 at Lowes!) Some decorative cut vinyl spiffs it up.

NOW, I'm thinking it needs some lights ...
SCOREMAN is offline Find More Posts by SCOREMAN
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:52 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Myself, I would not do any wiring on the 120V end then sell to someone. Too much liability.
Otherwise it looks great.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
50 Posts
Thank You. Kind words from the Godfather of HP supplies!

All my connections, both a/c and d/c are soldered and so far, knock wood, no problems. I do use a 15 amp rated power cord.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:14 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,456 Posts
Under normal handling, it'll likely be perfectly fine. However, since the AC wires between the supplies have a single layer of insulation, rough handling or bumping up against a sharp object on a workbench could cut the insulation and expose the user to AC line voltage.

Again, this is a somewhat unlikely scenario but it's worthy of some consideration.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:26 PM
Fls
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
I agree with Mark, but I would consider it very likely. The metal where the wires exits the charger are very sharp, and wires are unprotected.

Regardless, the finish with the white looks very nice. Well done.
Fls is offline Find More Posts by Fls
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Oct 2007
50 Posts
Good feedback. I worked some thick splicing tape around the opening. I left the romex insulation on some, but it was really difficult to work it in and get it closed up.

Also, keep in mind that it is solid copper line and holds it bend so it's not laying on the case.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
While we're talking about this, what's the best way to convert a dual power supply setup to a single power cord?
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:58 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
Buy a Y from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
If you want one with an on/off switch built in, I make a solution for that and sell them here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1758208

Jeremy
Site Sponsor