SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
Harry has a 10-12hp air compressor. No idea what he does with that.
Needed it for a sand blasting cabinet - needs a great deal of CFM. I am restoring a classic car.

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
The only 240V outlets installed in this area are those specifically requested by the buyer or installed later for welders, air compressors. As electric cars become more common, there will be more 240V outlets.
I have not built a 4by power supply. It could easily be done but almost have to be on 240V which excludes any but the most hardcore electric flyers.
There are few 50cc electric compared to gas and I can easily charge my 50cc along with my other batteries using 2 Duos on a 24V 47A power supply and being careful.
I'm looking forward to seeing how many of these 2kW chargers they will sell. I do not plan to buy one.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Yeah, I don't think they will sell many in the US, at least not until there are more homes with 240v more readily accessible.
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Great info for these power supplies. I just got two to use as single 12v supplies in my roller pit bag. I did all the pin modes and used switches to turn them on and off. I just want to make sure on one thing, do I have to do the case ground mod if this is sealed in the roller where it can not be touched. It sounds like you only do this if your are joining two to get 24v which I am not. I will post pictures of it when I'm done.

Happy Thanks Giving everyone.
JCTSR is offline Find More Posts by JCTSR
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTSR View Post
Great info for these power supplies. I just got two to use as single 12v supplies in my roller pit bag. I did all the pin modes and used switches to turn them on and off. I just want to make sure on one thing, do I have to do the case ground mod if this is sealed in the roller where it can not be touched. It sounds like you only do this if your are joining two to get 24v which I am not. I will post pictures of it when I'm done.

Happy Thanks Giving everyone.
You only have to do the isolation mod if you are connecting two together in series. If you are only using them as single 12v supplies the only mod you need to do is to connect the right pins and solder 4mm bullets or some sort of connectors onto the leads.
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,232 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving, Jo, and you have my permission to take the day off!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
I have the day off...this is what I do for fun
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I have a power block with all that in it.
JCTSR is offline Find More Posts by JCTSR
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2007
148 Posts
Quick question please guys.

I have a couple of DPS-600PB's that also came with the #321633-001 connection board.

As i only currently have 12v chargers i'm interested using both power supplies in parallel ideally with this connection board rewired for my chargers power supply.

Problem is, i can't find any wiring diagrams or info on what cable does what from this board.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas please?
cbr6fs is offline Find More Posts by cbr6fs
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Rydalmere
Joined Feb 2010
32 Posts
I've tried to work out the way to power them up with the back pane but gave up with the electronics there. The easiest way (which is what I ended up doing) was to use a hot air gun to melt the solder and remove the plugs and then solder up the connections and use them that way.

Cheers
Whitedg
whitedg is offline Find More Posts by whitedg
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Does anyone know if the current share pin is floated? I am trying to figure out if I can build a parallel unit that can also be used as a series unit and just leave the current share pin connect all the time. Or do I need to make a way for the current share pin to be disconnected when the PSUs are connected in series, i.e. wire the current share pins up to a switch.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I don't think it would hurt to try putting them in series then connect the current shares with a 1K resistor. I would not be surprised if it did not work. If wiring for parallel/series you could do it all at once with a big multipole switch.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant View Post
I don't think it would hurt to try putting them in series then connect the current shares with a 1K resistor. I would not be surprised if it did not work. If wiring for parallel/series you could do it all at once with a big multipole switch.
That's not a bad idea if I understand what you are saying...you mean one switch to switch the current share connection AND the series v parallel connection of the 12v rails at the same time? That is something to consider but I was thinking of just making a jumper to switch the DC power rails between series and parallel and then a very small light duty switch to switch the connection of the current share pins, so it would be a two step process to change over.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:34 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
The only think about a manual process is it's OK if it's yours but if someone else messes up and runs their 12V charger on 24V they may want to hold you responsible.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that too.
Site Sponsor