Cool, I am going to go look at it now.
jocanon is offline Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Are you talking about these, if so I think those are capacitors.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
OK, here is the results of my tests tonight...I think we are well within spec with just shorting pin 4 to ground and doing no other mod than that to the fan. I took apart a broken DPD-600PB and looked up the part numbers connected to the heat sink that gets the hottest and each one of them are able to operate up to 150C. To quote ronv on elctro-tech..."If we get 50 amps at 12 volts the bridge needs to be able to provide 5 amps at 120 volts plus say 15% for losses - 6 amps. If you go down the derating curve it can be 130C and provide 6 amps. This is absolute max." Here are the data sheets on the 3 different parts connected to the main heat sink:

one of the FETs: http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/SPP_I_A...19090054e32a20

another FET: http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/SPP_A_I...1536a41121152a

bridge rectifier: http://www.datasheetarchive.com/GPJ15M-datasheet.html

Now, I ran the PSU for about 15 to 20 minutes until it reached its peak temperature under a constant load of 50 amps with nothing more than the PSU's own thermal protection working with pin 4 shorted to ground...no additional mod to speed up fan more than it already does. I had the PSU case completely assembled so the flow of air would be as it should. Then I unscrewed the cover and carefully and quickly measured the temperature of the heat sink and it was only 45C. Far under 130C, granted right at the FETs they may be a little higher, but I wouldn't imagine by much, and certainly not over 130C!

Actually, the 470 Ufd. capacitors would probably be the first to fail, but they are rated at 105C, so we are below that too.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,879 Posts
That's good stuff to know. It's nice to see some old fashioned facts instead of the surplus of armchair speculation that we seem to get so often on the forums on anything to do with electrical or aerodynamic topics.

Jocanon, thanks for all that work. It is much appreciated I bet by many of us on this thread.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined May 2011
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanon View Post
Are you talking about these, if so I think those are capacitors.
No lol. See where the ribbon cable connects? That is the daughter board i am talking about. On the outside you will see the pots
Andrew_ZA is offline Find More Posts by Andrew_ZA
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_ZA View Post
No lol. See where the ribbon cable connects? That is the daughter board i am talking about. On the outside you will see the pots
Ah, you mean the board that I am not showing in the picture, right?
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
That's good stuff to know. It's nice to see some old fashioned facts instead of the surplus of armchair speculation that we seem to get so often on the forums on anything to do with electrical or aerodynamic topics.

Jocanon, thanks for all that work. It is much appreciated I bet by many of us on this thread.

John
Thanks John. Yeah, I always like hard cold facts whenever possible, can't argue with facts.

Jeremy
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined May 2011
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocanon View Post
Ah, you mean the board that I am not showing in the picture, right?
Its the board that is touching the paper/that the PSU is resting on in the picture, where the ribbon cable connects, it is that board Flip the PSU 180 degrees and you will see them
Andrew_ZA is offline Find More Posts by Andrew_ZA
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
OK, I will look tonight. I am not at home right now. That being said, I do still believe now based on above data that the fan doesn't need to be sped up at all, even when used in hot weather (within reason of course - obviously if used in an oven no matter how fast the fan is blowing it's not going to keep things cool ) as it has its own built in thermal protection and when I ran it at full load it would speed up more than enough to keep things under spec. But just for curiosity's sake I will check that out when I get home tonight. Thanks Andrew.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,344 Posts
If you REEEEEELY want to test, it should shutdown when it gets too hot to protect itself. That's what I call thermal protection.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:15 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Geez, where were you guys when I needed you?

About a year ago, I gave up on this since the fans were too loud and spent way too much on purpose-built power supplies!

Seriously, great work, guys.

Now, just how loud are those stock fans with pin 4 shorted an "no load?"
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Geez, where were you guys when I needed you?

About a year ago, I gave up on this since the fans were too loud and spent way too much on purpose-built power supplies!

Seriously, great work, guys.

Now, just how loud are those stock fans with pin 4 shorted an "no load?"
It's very quite with no load. Sorry, not very technical answer. I don't have a way to measure actual noise level, but I would say it's about as quiet as cat purring

Also, in a real world setting, with pin 4 shorted to pin 8 you will probably never really hear the fans from the PSU over the fan noise already generated by the charger (at least with the PL8, I don't know about other chargers because I have the PL8).
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Oct 24, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Jul 2010
514 Posts
Hey guys, I made an on/off switch Y-cable power cord that I am offering for sale here in the classified section at the link below. I have a bunch of them in stock ready to ship. I plan on making more as supply runs out so they will always be in stock even if you are reading this post at a later time:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23093635
Site Sponsor
Last edited by jocanon; Oct 27, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:56 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Thanks everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye70 View Post
Anybody??
Thanks for all the help guys!!

I guess now I see why so many people say other forums are superior
hawkeye70 is offline Find More Posts by hawkeye70
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:18 AM
Pro beginner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
778 Posts
It's been a long while since post 1, 2 and 3. Now with the new icharger coming out, I'm glad that I built mine with these PSU's.

I will reconfigure my 4 PSU's for 48V, which should take 5 mins.

That's the great advantage of these PSU's... small and light.

Many who have combined those massive 1200W 12V beasts for 2400W 24V, will need to purchase another 2 more, to produce a combined power of 4800W at 48V, but the weight of this would be prohibitive.

Of course if the new icharger is not your thing, then it doesn't matter
rchelijc is online now Find More Posts by rchelijc