HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusey52 View Post
I have the same two part numbers, 321632-501 & 321632-001. They work together just fine. The only difference is I isolated the -501 and left the -001 stock.

As far as continuity goes, I have ground continuity from the case to the A/C ground lug on both power supplies. So, when they're plugged into an A/C power source, there's ground continuity from case to case via the A/C line. Electrically, the cases are connected just as if they were physicaly tied together with a ground strap. If you do not have ground continuity between cases, your assertion that one of them is bad may be spot on.

I'm going insane with this
I went ahead and purchased two more PS thinking one of the previous ones was bad. The problem still there. I've read all 37 pages on this post looking for clues. I've tried Lardog's wiring scheme, 123 to GND and 458 shorted. No dice.

Would someone please post an wiring guide for this PS for dummies. I really need it. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm obviously overlooking it. I Think I've tried every combination possible with the darn ribbon. The power outlet or the multimeter are both ok, I can probe a friends Dell dual PS and the voltages on it are steady. Why is it only when the units are touching.
Please HELP.
Thanks to all who have tried to help.
prjoe is offline Find More Posts by prjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:10 AM
Expo/DualRates = Lack of Skill
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
I use 1, 2, 4, and 5 (ribbon #) to DC ground.

(image from another user in this thread)

Are you still running the units without the cases installed?
typeRA is offline Find More Posts by typeRA
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:53 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
There must be several ways to hook these things up, I jumped 4,5 & 8 - 1&2 connected to ground.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:33 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Post 3 from this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchelijc View Post
Shorting 6-8-10 turns the PS ON. I put a switch here.

(Note: Tjinguy at his site shows that he shorts pins 6-9-10 instead to turn it on. I can confirm it works, but it limits your max output voltage to around 13.1V+/-, among other effects I didn't test. That's because you're shorting on the voltage control pin.)

Shorting 4-8 slows fan speed to minimum. I put a switch here as well.

Putting a variable resistor between 3-9 allows voltage adjustment up to 13.8V.
The rchelijc method of shorting pins 6, 8, and 10 equates to grounding ribbon wires 1, 2, 4, and 5.

The tjinguytech method of shorting pins 6, 9, and 10 equates to grounding ribbon wires 1 and 2, and shorting wires 4, 5, and 8.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:58 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeRA View Post
I use 1, 2, 4, and 5 (ribbon #) to DC ground.

(image from another user in this thread)

Are you still running the units without the cases installed?
Yes, I'm testing first without the cases, before closing everything up and find it's not working. What I do is once the units are powered up, and the probes fastened to the binding plugs, I touch the cases by a corner(carefully). The only thing I've not tried is removing wire #3(Fan speed) from ground. Do you run your PS with the fans slowed down? Since you tell me here you use 1,2,4, and 5 to DC ground. You don't mention #3 in your wiring at all. Am I using the correct wire to slow the fan?

Thanks typeRA.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined May 2011
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prjoe View Post
Yes, I'm testing first without the cases, before closing everything up and find it's not working. What I do is once the units are powered up, and the probes fastened to the binding plugs, I touch the cases by a corner(carefully). The only thing I've not tried is removing wire #3(Fan speed) from ground. Do you run your PS with the fans slowed down? Since you tell me here you use 1,2,4, and 5 to DC ground. You don't mention #3 in your wiring at all. Am I using the correct wire to slow the fan?

Thanks typeRA.
I do the exact same, but i connect #3 to a switch with a lead going to ground. I then use a 1k pot and connect #8 to the +5vsb wire you cut when you remove the daughter board and then you have voltage control
Andrew_ZA is offline Find More Posts by Andrew_ZA
Old Aug 22, 2012, 02:51 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Mar 2009
789 Posts
Quote:
Do you run your PS with the fans slowed down?
No.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2007
50 Posts
My $.02
Don't know if it matters, but I solder all my connections rather than crimp.
Also use gold plated lugs.
Can't see behind the tape on your ribbon cable, so don't know how those connections are made.
How are you powering the a/c? Two cords, y cord or A/C wired between the supplies?
SCOREMAN is offline Find More Posts by SCOREMAN
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:35 AM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Apr 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREMAN View Post
How are you powering the a/c? Two cords, y cord or A/C wired between the supplies?
Can I ask why this matters? This question is based purely on curiosity, I honestly want to know. I am about to encase my supplies and charger in a box setup and I am debating how to power the supplies.
dedfish is offline Find More Posts by dedfish
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:58 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,274 Posts
Reddi Killowatt prefers the widest road possible.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREMAN View Post
My $.02
Don't know if it matters, but I solder all my connections rather than crimp.
Also use gold plated lugs.
Can't see behind the tape on your ribbon cable, so don't know how those connections are made.
I'm using two power cords to power the A/C.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:52 AM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:

I went ahead and purchased two more PS thinking one of the previous ones was bad. The problem still there. I've read all 37 pages on this post looking for clues. I've tried Lardog's wiring scheme, 123 to GND and 458 shorted. No dice.

Would someone please post an wiring guide for this PS for dummies. I really need it. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm obviously overlooking it. I Think I've tried every combination possible with the darn ribbon. The power outlet or the multimeter are both ok, I can probe a friends Dell dual PS and the voltages on it are steady. Why is it only when the units are touching.
Please HELP.
Here's a short video of the voltage variation. Wired 1,2,3,4,5 to GND. All other ribbon wiring combinations get same result. DPS-600PB Voltage Fluctuation.mp4 (1 min 13 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:22 PM
Near Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
384 Posts
Quote:

Please HELP.
I am wondering if your problem may be due to inductive coupling between the supplies. These switching power supplies operate at quite a high frequency and it may be possible that your are getting interference from each other. Try placing your supplies 6 inches or more apart and then short the cases together with a heavy jumper. If there is no change in voltage then inductive coupling may be the problem. If the voltage remains solid then try moving the cases together slowly to see if your problem comes back.

Just a wild guess. Good Luck

Dave
376782 is offline Find More Posts by 376782
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:01 PM
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376782 View Post
I am wondering if your problem may be due to inductive coupling between the supplies. These switching power supplies operate at quite a high frequency and it may be possible that your are getting interference from each other. Try placing your supplies 6 inches or more apart and then short the cases together with a heavy jumper. If there is no change in voltage then inductive coupling may be the problem. If the voltage remains solid then try moving the cases together slowly to see if your problem comes back.

Just a wild guess. Good Luck

Dave
The voltage stays solid when the units are just 1mm apart. So it might be the inductive coupling you're talking about. The question is, can this be avoided, worked around? How is it no one else has experienced this before using the same wiring scheme I'm trying to use? I wish I knew something about electrical circuits. I don't like to give up on things, but I'm getting nowhere with this. I'm left with 4 nice HP 600PB paperweights. I must be missing on some small detail.
Thanks for the reply.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:21 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
125 Posts
prjoe, this is certainly a mystery! Here are a few things to try/consider:
  • Check each supply's output to see if the variation is coming from one or both.
  • Try it with a load to see if it changes.
  • If you have access to a scope, take a look at both supplies, it may shed some light on what's going on.
  • Try connecting the +S & -S sense lines of each supply to the respective +12 & ground.
  • Consider joining them together with double stick tape so they're not in physical contact with each other.
Dusey52 is offline Find More Posts by Dusey52
Last edited by Dusey52; Aug 23, 2012 at 08:34 PM.