Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA View Post
The ESC would just laugh of those short bursts because its a Joe mod CC180
Otherwise, no good reason to do the static(s), but would normally start the prop shortly just to make sure I dont throw a "dead ship".

Havent noticed any nose up tendencies, it flies level power on as far as I have noticed. How can you see a nose up tendency in the video ? I am normally adding a little elevator when giving full speed just after launch, could be that !?
My CoG is "spot on" and if any its actually on forward (within the recommended).

In any case, will pay attention next time I`m out, and if it pulls up I will shim it a tiny bit. Need some consistent flying conditions though, the site today have anything but lineear wind conditions due to the woods/terrain around, so flying is kind of bumpy even in this heavy bird
Just pulling your leg with the power bursts. It should be fine but it is kind of unnecessary evil.

During launch or climb out the model is not supposed to go over the top of your head. It's supposed to fly in a strait line. But indeed i do not know what you where doing with the controlls.

However a forward CofG actually does create a pull up tendancy with an increase in speed. Moving the CofG further back would make the model more neutral. Do some power off dives to figure out if it's the model or the motor making the nose pitch up if it's not you.
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
OTA,
remember my CofG almost at 130mm, you can push the line just a little back and see how it goes, I also put some plastic ring (apc prop adapters) on the motor mount to give some down thrust, not that much cause I trim (sanding) the plastic ring to give just the necessary angle...

Easter coming, I'm going to my father's in law farm, it's a beautiful place,
there is a Canyon over there, the idea is make some aerial footage using my B.Ceres and a gopro....hope the wheather helps...

Andre
decones is online now Find More Posts by decones
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:18 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Joe

Youre fooled by the video, the model doesnt go over my head but it climbs quite steep while i roll it to the the left. Next time I may do a launch where the plane does what it is "supposed" to do Guess youre thinking F5B regular launch/climb pattern ?
I may even have touched and given a little elevator when moving my hand to the controller after launch, but it doesnt matter,the Big Ceres can handle it and so can I

Anyway, I always appreciate your thoughts, and I will absolutely do a flight where I notice the nose up tendencies. I might even move the CoG a little backward to see how it behaves as comparison.

Andre

As discussed previously, my CoG is accurately measured and it is towards the forward recommended by Baudis, and your own is outside recommended and to my opinion tail heavy. Still, if you just did the finger test, its kind of inaccurate for this heavy model, and I believe its more forward than you are saying.

Some food for thoughts:

I have done the alignment of the firewall exactly to the nose cone angle from Baudis and so would thought it was OK. Still, since the CoG have a range, this would influence the nose up/down tendency with motor on especially with these large heavy thrust props. Correct ?
Anyway, most flying is motor off and I need to find the best suited CoG place to my liking, and I may need to shim a little if necessary for power on settings.
OTA is offline Find More Posts by OTA
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:02 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,041 Posts
Well it's not really so much to do with F5B as it is to do with getting the maximum enjoyment out of your planes. They are supposed to track like they are on rails and you should not have to fight the airplane even if it is just subconsciously. Sometimes we need to take the time to go back and investigate these things with an open mind rather then assume. This is what i find when flying F5B planes on a day out of testing / practice, i end up doing all these little steps again even tho i had been flying laps with it before.

More power will aggravate the behaviour of any missalignment of the thrust angle as there is more force pulling the plane and also any CofG problems as the speed builds more quickly. You can mix in some down elevator with the motor as a quick fix but this tends to then lead to an increase in down pitch as the speed builds up.

Enjoy your nice plane!
jjmouris is online now Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:52 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Agree Joe.

Just for the sake of good order, I dont need to fight the plane. I have done my homework in regards to CoG (still may tweak it a little within recommended to see variations) and have good long enjoyable flights. The flying behaviour of the plane is excellent and comparable to other planes in the F3B/F category i have flown.

I am not flying competitions, so when the plane flys well, it flys well and thats within the acceptance criteria for a wannabe like me.
Its like heating the batteries before flight too, I know it is good to do, but again its not feeded for the sake of fun flying.

I dont want to mix in elevator to motor for the reason you are saying.

Time for your Viking to get airborn ?

Next up: Go flying. Happy Eastern
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:21 AM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Test flying a little today reveals a little nose up when power on. Doesnt help much (couldnt notice any actually) to move the CoG, so need to shim a little.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:11 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
as promised before....
Easter holiday in my father's in law Farm
Enjoy!

Flying over the Canyon (4 min 8 sec)

André
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
Video blocked
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decones View Post
as promised before....
Easter holiday in my father's in law Farm
Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMPh0...1&feature=plcp

André
Andre, please upload to vimeo, in USA we cannot view youtube video that has copyrighted music. If you not sure how to post on vimeo, send me your email via pm, and I will post it for you.

thanks!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:52 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
Video blocked
Probably duo to music I put in...
no dramas, uploading on Vimeo....

Thanks guys,

Andre
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
Andre, please upload to vimeo, in USA we cannot view youtube video that has copyrighted music. If you not sure how to post on vimeo, send me your email via pm, and I will post it for you.

thanks!
Thank you Rich, I'm doing it
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:23 PM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Looks good Andre What a beautiful flying site too.

What kind of kamera used ? Do you need to counterbalance when putting the cam on the wingtip ?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Looks good Andre What a beautiful flying site too.

What kind of kamera used ? Do you need to counterbalance when putting the cam on the wingtip ?
Hi OTA,
I'm using the standart gopro Hero HD,
the conterbalance was just some coins I have at my pocket, nothing more than 50g
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:59 PM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by decones View Post
Hi OTA,
I'm using the standart gopro Hero HD,
the conterbalance was just some coins I have at my pocket, nothing more than 50g
He-he, sounds good. I have been a little afraid to put something on my wings but should maybe stop worry about it. How does the flying characteristics feel compared to without the cam ?

No more flutter issues ?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:28 PM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,035 Posts
Quote:
He-he, sounds good. I have been a little afraid to put something on my wings but should maybe stop worry about it. How does the flying characteristics feel compared to without the cam ?

No more flutter issues ?
Don't be afraid, just attach it very well and be happy! BTW - I use standart tape for it
The characteristics feel the same with or without the cam, just some trim on aileron, but not that much, I think I hit 3 steps to have a straight flight

Yes I still have flutter , my linkage it's not solid floppy less I would like to
especially talking about the rudder linkage, the geometry doesn't help.
The Flap linkage will need monster horns to become rock solid

Andre