HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:39 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby Super Corsair

I received my new Corsair last Friday but weather in Charlotte NC has been nothin but rain, wind, and cold. Tomorrow is 60 degrees and 5 mph winds. Gonna skip out on work and fly this beast.

I did make a few mods that I like. It didn't have any guns so I made some out of my 6 volt electric cig cartriges. They lookin kinda cool.

I also had a huge vibration in the 3 bladed prop but it was an easy fix. Just added a little epoxy to the light blade and they balanced out nice.

I did a red stripe barber pole thing to the tail hook. Don't know if it's scale but the look is better than just plain white IMHO. I plan on using a Thunder Power 6S 5000 so the flight times should be pretty good.

I will tell you that this prop does make for some huge power. At 3/4 throttle it will launch verticle so a hover test isn't out of the question for all you prop hangers out there. Not quite the thing to do with this Coarsair but if you had the nads to do it you won't be short of power.

The retracts are so cool with the working doors and the wheels are large enough (including the tail wheel) to handle grass. I have taxied it in my yard so if it passed that test our club field will be a walk in the park. I know, famous last words, right.

So off to bed for an early start and I will bring back lots of video and pics. It this thing flys half as good as she looks its going to be a great day.

Till tomorrow.

Condor
Condor060 is offline Find More Posts by Condor060
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,496 Posts
Manufacturers must think Ira Kepford was the only Corsair pilot to see action in WWII. There are so many historic and attractive Corsair paint jobs to choose from too, pity. None the less Condor it's an attractive bird and I wish you the best of luck with your test flights.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:33 AM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2008
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor060 View Post
I received my new Corsair last Friday but weather in Charlotte NC has been nothin but rain, wind, and cold. Tomorrow is 60 degrees and 5 mph winds. Gonna skip out on work and fly this beast.

I did make a few mods that I like. It didn't have any guns so I made some out of my 6 volt electric cig cartriges. They lookin kinda cool.

I also had a huge vibration in the 3 bladed prop but it was an easy fix. Just added a little epoxy to the light blade and they balanced out nice.

I did a red stripe barber pole thing to the tail hook. Don't know if it's scale but the look is better than just plain white IMHO. I plan on using a Thunder Power 6S 5000 so the flight times should be pretty good.

I will tell you that this prop does make for some huge power. At 3/4 throttle it will launch verticle so a hover test isn't out of the question for all you prop hangers out there. Not quite the thing to do with this Coarsair but if you had the nads to do it you won't be short of power.

The retracts are so cool with the working doors and the wheels are large enough (including the tail wheel) to handle grass. I have taxied it in my yard so if it passed that test our club field will be a walk in the park. I know, famous last words, right.

So off to bed for an early start and I will bring back lots of video and pics. It this thing flys half as good as she looks its going to be a great day.

Till tomorrow.

Condor
Thanks for sharing, Condor! Looking forward to your thoughts on her maiden!

Btw, how was the packing in the box? Did you have any issues? What about the wing folding mechanism? Are you comfortable with the design and sturdiness?

Did you program your own radio, or use the RTF radio? I'm wondering how hard it will be program the Dx8 for all of the channels.

How was the manual?

Which flap setting did you choose? The scale one (all three pieces descend), or the greater performance one, (2-part flap)?

Best of luck tomorrow!
Tim
twesselman is offline Find More Posts by twesselman
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:24 AM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,949 Posts
Heres more info on this plane and beware of the landing gear I heard its bad
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1430036
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
We successfully flew the BH Corsair today and got about 5 flights on her. Gear works great on grass and she took very little trim. I could use a little more power but it does fly very scale. Overall I like the kit very much. The video was uploaded in HD so you can click on the bottom right for options to view it full screen.

From 1-10 I would give this kit a hard 8. The price was $449 including everything except battery and receiver. It lands very nice but it is still a warbird and needs about throttle until the wheel touch. Handles nice on the ground and the folding wing is kind of cool.

This is the 7th BH kit I have purchased and I have had very good luck with all of the kits. There are things that could be a bit better but if it was perfect I wouldn't have anything to do.

I really don't see what all the hoopla is about BH products and problems with their manufacturing. There are lots of them at our field and I don't hear anyone with a gripe about their kits.

I really think there are just way too many keyboard pilots out there looking for something to do. Honestly, I have purchased their kits over the last two years with very little problems. The only thing I saw on the Corsair was the props out of balance but I kind of expected that.

Heres the video of the maiden flight.

Banana Hobby Super Corsair (4 min 56 sec)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Oct 2009
197 Posts
This is the method I used to balance the three bladed prop. Works very well.

3 Bladed Prop Balancing for RC Aircraft (3 min 55 sec)