Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Question
Getting Back Into Flying and Looking for Advice

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I have checked in on the RCGroups forums and wow have things changed. Last I remember there were a handful of enthusiasts bucking tradition by folding up blucore foam, tossing on a motor and a pack of NiMH batteries (or LiPo if you had the money and courage ) and if all went well flying the ugly beast.

A quick glance through some of the threads has me a bit confused. I intend to do a lot of reading so please don't ambush me for not researching before asking but with all of the information it would really help me if I could get a bit of advice.

First, would one of these flat surface epp foam designs be good for me? I have flown off an on for nearly 20 years (about 50/50 off/on) flying sail planes, gas powered planes, and electric planes. I was just getting into 3D flying when I gave it up for a different hobby.

I noticed that there are dozens of component manufactures. Is there a general rule to follow when choosing servos, speed controllers, motors, and batteries?

Is it best to buy a kit that includes everything or go best of breed?

Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to give.
sandnap is offline Find More Posts by sandnap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:37 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
Sandnap,

Narrow that down a little if you could please. So, are you interested in getting into 3d foamies?
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
Sandnap,

Narrow that down a little if you could please. So, are you interested in getting into 3d foamies?
I am interested in 3d flying and from what I have read so far it looks like a foamy might be the way to go.

As I mentioned I have quite a bit of flying experience so I know I will advance quickly but I need something that can handle a bit of abuse along the way. With all of the different models and electrics available it's tough to figure out where to start. I don't mind spending a bit more to get good quality but I don't want to get ripped off either.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnap View Post
I am interested in 3d flying and from what I have read so far it looks like a foamy might be the way to go.

As I mentioned I have quite a bit of flying experience so I know I will advance quickly but I need something that can handle a bit of abuse along the way. With all of the different models and electrics available it's tough to figure out where to start. I don't mind spending a bit more to get good quality but I don't want to get ripped off either.
Most EPP foamies are very tough to tear up,but when you do,they are easy to repair. They take way more abuse than they should,and keep on flying. I have a Twisted Hobbys Xtra Slick that has had many low level,crashes,and dosen't look any diffrent that the day I finnished building it. Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
472 Posts
I'm the same as you Sandnap....
Got out of RC for 20 years. Back into RC 2 years ago with Helis (450 & 600).

Now I flew my first airplane again which was the E-flite 4-site. Meh..it really isn't worth a crap. sooooo.....I went the foamy route and here is who I got it from.

http://wmparkflyers.com/Products.aspx
Get this.... I sent an email to Greg on Saturday via the generic website email application. He replied a few hours later. I ended up calling him on Sunday and he took my order over the phone. Everything I need to get in the air minus receiver and transmitter. My airplane will be here tomorrow. Prepainted even. Just have to put it together. Oh...and all for $153 with shipping.
Sure, it is not a Hacker motor (he is going to start carrying them soon however) but for a foamy for the gym it will be all I need.
BTW... i ordered the McFoamy.

I'm really excited to get this in the air. Greg is a great guy and there is a build thread on this website for his products.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288578

Good luck.

Neil
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:00 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,235 Posts
Hey sandnap, a lot of also depends on where you will be flying. There are a lot of 32"-34" EPP flat wing plane options out there. They are good for small flying area's but will get bumped around a bit in the wind if that's a concern.

For a larger area you could go with something like the TechOne Sukhoi SU-31 (link to my site). It's a 39" EPP full airfoil plane that will also take a beating but handles wind better than the smaller/lighter planes.

I also have the TechOne Venus 3D which I really like. It is made from EPO which is more rigid and still very durable. It flies very precise and will take a beating, but won't regain it's shape as well as EPP if you crash it in really hard. I do have full parts support for it if you do manage to damage it. I'm also releasing a 32" flat EPP plane very soon that flies nice and precise and should be competitively priced.

Good luck!
Kevin
WickedFunRC is online now Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Thanks for the advice Ron_Dog, JurassicJet, and khen this gives me a great place to start. It looks like all three suppliers mentioned have planes that will meet my needs.

khen, I plan on flying at local parks or schools. It gets pretty windy around here sometimes but for now I am willing to fly on good days.
Last edited by sandnap; Jan 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
Sandnap, check out the thread on the Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak Build Thread. Page 5 has a video. This is one sweet flying little plane.

However, anything from Twisted Hobbies is very good, you really couldn't make a bad choice.

If you are looking for a nice 48" wingspan 3d balsa plane then the 3dhs Edge (Buck 1.5) is an excellent choice.

For a foamie that will handle the wind another choice is the Multiplex Parkmaster.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Jan 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:17 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
I agree the profile EPP planes are great for knocking the rust off or just getting out in the backyard and Hucking around they will really take a beating and keep going. If you want to move up a bit to a full fuselage EPP plane then the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra is hard to beat. It flys like a much bigger balsa plane but it still has the forgiveness of EPP. The fuselage is an EPP over ply skeleton which makes it very rigid but forgiving. There are other models made that have the same basic design and some are a bit smaller such as the Winners Models or the Hokusei and Skywing models. Kind of surprised KE Spin didn't mention the Hokusei models as that is what is in his avatar (pretty sure anyway.) I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure that all of these are actually made by Skywing for the other companies. Not sure where you are located but the Skywing models have been restricted for sales in the US to their distributor (3DHS I'm pretty sure.)

Just more options to think about. Now go out and have fun.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:36 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandnap View Post
Thanks for the advice Ron_Dog, JurassicJet, and khen this gives me a great place to start. It looks like all three suppliers mentioned have planes that will meet my needs.

khen, I plan on flying at local parks or schools. It gets pretty windy around here sometimes but for now I am willing to fly on good days.
sandnap,I fly in winds from 5-15mph(not by choice) alot, and the Twisted planes handle it pretty well. Sounds like you flying in smaller areas? I find I fly the smaller planes alot more than my bigger one's,due to their size,I can fly them about anywhere. I have a lot across the street from my home (60' X120') and I fly there most of the time. It's just too easy to take a few battery's and walk across the street to fly! Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
......I also have the TechOne Venus 3D which I really like. It is made from EPO which is more rigid and still very durable. It flies very precise and will take a beating, but won't regain it's shape as well as EPP if you crash it in really hard. I do have full parts support for it if you do manage to damage it......
Kevin

I have the Venus also and I think it flies very well and is perfect for someone that's been away from RC for a while. It's do 3D just fine and it bounces really well.

Kevin has great customer service too, which is sometimes hard to find, especially if you've have to deal with the Chinese / Hong Kong guys.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
sandnap,I fly in winds from 5-15mph(not by choice) alot, and the Twisted planes handle it pretty well. Sounds like you flying in smaller areas? I find I fly the smaller planes alot more than my bigger one's,due to their size,I can fly them about anywhere. I have a lot across the street from my home (60' X120') and I fly there most of the time. It's just too easy to take a few battery's and walk across the street to fly! Ron
Yes I will be flying in small areas. I am leaning toward a smaller plane to begin with due to the space limitations and a lower intimidation factor.

Thanks everyone for the links and advice there are a lot of great planes, building guides, and flying videos here. I will select my first plane after spending a bit more time looking at all of these great options. I really hope to own several of these designs eventually.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I have the Venus also and I think it flies very well and is perfect for someone that's been away from RC for a while. It's do 3D just fine and it bounces really well.

Kevin has great customer service too, which is sometimes hard to find, especially if you've have to deal with the Chinese / Hong Kong guys.

Bob
RCPlaneBuilder is one of the sites I looked at today. The Venus looks nice. Good customer service is very important to me so I appreciate all of the references.
Last edited by sandnap; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Resolved my name correlation question by reading carefully
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
If you are looking to get into 3D then Twistedhobbys is the place to look. The 32 " Edge or Crack Yak are both amazing 3D learning tools . And they are tuff as nails EEP.

Can't go wrong with any of thier products
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
472 Posts
Had my West Michigan EPP McFoamy at the gym Friday night.

There were two guys there that fly similar planes.
The first guy maidened my McFoamy that night since I JUST got it done and I wasn't comfortable flying it. When I asked him what he thought of it his exact words were "I think I am not giving it back to you"! He flies a 3DHS 330.
The other guy helped me complete my McFoamy and he owns a Twisted Hobbies foamy. He was very impressed with the WMPF McFoamy. He was wishing he had bought what I had bought.
Not saying that any of these are bad at all, just repeating what a couple of guys said that have been around foamies way longer than I have.

BTW....i flew my McFoamy right after Wayne got done with the maiden flight. All I can say is wow... what a great flyer. I was doing some rolls with it and a little inverted. We are in a small gym so it takes a lot of concentration to keep it out of the walls. It is VERY responsive but also very stable, if that makes sense.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet