Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,313 Posts
Discussion
Utah Valley Aeromodelers

Welcome UVA Members.

This thread is a place for the Utah Valley Aeromodelers members to communicate activities, schedules and needs with each other.

This will also be a good place that we can coordinate activities and resources with the Utah Flyers Organization (UFOs) also in Utah County.

Feel free to use this thread for your group communication and please look and see what is going on in the UFOs here on RCGroups.

This is a link to the UVA website http://www.utahvalleyaeromodelers.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pass this link on to your club. This is for you to use.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post20528637

Have them look at the UFO threads to get an idea of how it has evolved and how we use our RCG thread.

Here is a link to our main UFO Utah County thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335791

And all of these threads are in a category that links many special interest ideas and activities in our area.

http://www.rcgroups.com/utah-flyers-organization-241/

Thanks

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 12, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:24 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,313 Posts
YOU ARE ALL INVITED!!!

Plan on a visit from the UFOs at the Utah Valley Aeromodeler club meeting on Thursday Feb 9th at 7 PM at the American Fork Rec Center at 454 N Center in AM FK.

The UFOs (Utah Flyers Organization) has invited the UVA to their semi annual UnCivil War also called the sWARm that will happen with a night fly on Friday April 27th and the War on Saturday April 28th and will explain what to expect at that event.

The Uncivil War will include open competition in:

Flying wing combat
RC limbo
RC bowling
RC Bomb drop

There will also be demonstrations of:

50-70+ planes flying at once.
Giant scale
Warbirds
FPV
DLG
Formation flying

There is no entrance fee.
AMA is not required to fly.
Competition and door prizes will be awarded.
Shade canopies and lawn chairs recommended.
Bring $5 per person if you want Pizza and drinks. (not required)
We will not order food until we get a head count on the day of the event.
There will be a frequency board for those flying on FM frequencies.
Combat and limbo need to be flown by planes with soft nose and prop in back for safety.
Any brand or size of flying wing with pusher prop is acceptable.
Flight line enforced.

We have limited permission to fly at the west sod farm that is south of the Lindon Boat harbor.

Here is a map to the flying field. We will be flying at the site nearest Utah Lake at the west sod farm.

Road construction is changing the path to the field but the final destination is the same.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?sourc...,0.045447&z=15

This is a link to the thread discussing the upcoming event.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1547646

Here are some videos to wet your appetite.

LImbo UnCivil War 4-11 (5 min 37 sec)

RC Combat Event - sWARm Fall 2011 (3 min 44 sec)

Night fly Uncivil War 4-11 (4 min 54 sec)

Lee

Last edited by Lee; Feb 06, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Hi.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
Subscribed. I can't believe it's taken this long for a UVA thread to be created!

Hopefully someone from the club joins and actively promotes their involvement here so we can all see what's happening with the club. Lynn needs to get on here if he's the new club pres.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,313 Posts
Lynn is hoping we can coordinate more activities.

We will discuss this thread at the club meeting on the 9th. Can you come Todd?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,313 Posts
This is the agenda for the UVA club meeting discussion from 2-9-12

UTAH VALLEY AEROMODELERS ….. YOU ARE INVITED!!!!!!! Feb 9th 2012

Please plan on attending the UnCivil War on April 27th and 28th 2012. Come and enjoy a ton of fun and RC carnage. There is no entrance fee and AMA is not required. Watch the combat videos at www.crashtesthobby.com and see videos of some of our previous events.

We call ourselves the UFOs or Utah Flyers Organization. Many of us have flown for many years. Many of us are AMA. Don’t let our name fool you. We have no president. We have no secretary. We pay no dues. We have no rules just common interests and a web site that tie us all together. We fly many types of planes not just combat. We travel to organized events together. We put very few items on a schedule but there is probably someone flying almost every day somewhere in our group. Anyone can initiate an activity by posting it on the web. If you bring food you are our honorary president.

What makes us unique is we all fly our EPP wings at the same time and like the planes to make contact. We like to fly formation and swarm and have specific challenges like limbo, bomb drop and bowling. Any collisions are just added excitement and make great video.

We plan our activities in our discussion threads on RCGoups.com. I have posted on the “Utah County” thread that I am headed out and have had as many as 8 flyers show up for sport flying or combat. Our RCG thread posts help alert flyers that there is someone flying. Night flying is often a last minute event.

How many of you are already registered and post on RCGroups.com?
Lynn and I started a communication thread for the Utah Valley Aeromodelers on RCGroups.com
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580832
This is a link to the UFO communication thread on RCG.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1335791
These links can help coordinate events in our two groups so we can be aware and participate in all the RC fun going on. Both threads are in the same place on RCGroups.com so they are easy to find.
www.rcgroups.com/utah-flyers-organization-241/
What can you find in this club site? We already have a buy and sell thread, FPV thread, DLG thread, UnCivil War thread and others specialized interest areas that you can participate in. We want you to feel welcome to register, participate and post on the threads.

We fly on Saturdays at the Sod Farm south of the Lindon Boat Harbor. We donate money to their business for the opportunity to fly there. We have only limited permission to fly there on Saturdays and prearranged special events, daily flying is not authorized there. It is their business and they don’t want to be over-run. It is restricted to electric motors only and we are expected to clean up any mess we might make. Please be aware if the ground or road is soft. Please don’t make ruts and don’t drive on the grass. Beware of the sprinklers that go on and off. There is a plane eating swamp east of the road.

Our group also flies at many other open areas across the valley.
There are flyers in Payson, Spanish Fork, Provo/Orem and a strong group in the PG/AF/Lehi area. We also have flyers in Ephraim, SL County and Weber County. We have flyers flying at the Point of the Mountain and off the Squaw Peak Lookout. We make trips to fly in St George, Southern Utah and to attend events in other clubs.

During the winter when soccer isn’t going on and the sod farm is muddy we fly at Art Dye west of the Timpanogos Temple, Lakeridge Jr High and Vineyard or Lakeside Park near the sod farm.

THE “UNCIVIL WAR” also called the “sWARm” is a biannual event. The next UnCivil War will be April 27th for the night fly and night combat and April 28th for combat, RC bowling, limbo, DLG, and FPV. The location of the night fly is still in question but the combat on the 28th will be at 9:30 a.m. at the Sod farm that is south of the Lindon Boat Harbor. You are all invited. I already put a post with more information on your new thread.
This is a good time to see what others are doing and ask questions and see if you have enough interest to try different types of RC activities. Bring your shade canopy and lawn chairs and enjoy the day. In the past we have ordered takeout pizza or sandwiches after people arrive. We will have water and pop available. You are welcome to bring sack lunches.

What planes do we recommend? Any flying wings with a soft nose and pusher prop are great for combat, limbo and bowling. Your Zagi or Unicorn or Combat wing would work great. There is no restriction to size as long as the safety requirements are met. We have had planes from 26” to 78” in the same combat sessions. We also cut EPP planes for the event but all brands of planes are welcome.

Lynn asked me to tell you about the EPP planes we cut. We have been cutting planes for the clubs since the 1980s and became an online business in 2007. We specialize in EPP combat planes, EPP trainers and EPP FPV planes. Our most popular combat plane in this valley is the 55” Grim Reaper that has an amazing glide and is very durable. Our 34” Assassin kit is also very popular. The Assassin can survive combat with parking lots and brick walls and still protect your battery and radio.

We offer a discounted price to all local flyers. There is no shipping if you pick it up. We pay the sales tax. You can look at our planes and contact us on our web site at www.Crashtesthobby.com.

Ryan at www.planeinsanerc.com in Spanish Fork is available if you would like some help getting the electronics you will need for the flying wings.

Thanks

Lee
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
The presentation at the club meeting was fantastic! Thanks to all that participated. For those of you who weren't able to make it to the meeting, you really missed out.
hadfield is offline Find More Posts by hadfield
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:36 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
I'd like to see more UVA members on regroups too. The website is nice but we need to facilitate discussion amongst members more.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Payson, Utah
Joined Feb 2010
147 Posts
Thank You for your warm welcome Thursday. Great to make new friends and exchange different ideas. John.
burhead27 is offline Find More Posts by burhead27
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
At the last meeting there was some discussion about setting up a webcam to monitor the weather at the flying field (temp, wind speed, etc). There is a web accessible weather station site just North East of the field at the Pioneer Crossing intersection where you turn off to go to the field. Here is the link

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KUTLEHI11
hadfield is offline Find More Posts by hadfield
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield View Post
At the last meeting there was some discussion about setting up a webcam to monitor the weather at the flying field (temp, wind speed, etc). There is a web accessible weather station site just North East of the field at the Pioneer Crossing intersection where you turn off to go to the field. Here is the link

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KUTLEHI11
Thanks! That's a good link to bookmark.. it's got the wind speed, which is probably the biggest factor I worry about when driving over there.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:11 PM
I meant to do that...
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
Hi Lynn. Thanks for the link. This is close enough to the field that I am certain it will be reliable. It is interesting how the wind was completely dead all night long.
psteiner is offline Find More Posts by psteiner
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
I meant to do that...
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
I plan to be down at the field by about 10 am in the morning.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:06 AM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Last time I flew my Revolver It had been a while since I had flown it and I had a good bounce when I landed. Due to previous damages from the engine cutting out on takeoff, I had had to repair the landing gear. Anyway, the bounced didn't get it but I should have hit the throttle and come around again. I let it bounce again and it busted the the gear where they attach to the body. (Same place they'd been broken before). Soo..... not hard to fix but I've let it sit because I've been busy with my 50cc. Almost ready... he he.

Anyway, I'll probably fly something or other near my home... or maybe at Art Dye some time today.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:33 PM
I meant to do that...
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
I will be down at the field at 10 am plus or minus a half hour. Hopefully we will have good weather in the morning before the winds come in.