SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
Hi Bill. Not sure on weight just yet as I'm still adding little things here and there. The sheeting is only 1/16" thick. The whole wing feels light though. The leading edge sheeting on the tips is super delicate though. I keep forgetting and I am constantly cracked the sheeting on the tips because I keep moving it on the table and grabbing it by the ends. Why they didn't just go with a solid piece of wood in just those areas is beyond me. I'm really thinking about cutting them out and replacing them with solid balsa.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Feb 11, 2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
I hear ya about the breaking balsa thing!! I'm building a Dumas Standard J-1 right now and I've busted 6 of the fuse stringers in the last week, easy to fix, but makes you feel selly every time you break one...

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts

Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Smudge View Post
I hear ya about the breaking balsa thing!! I'm building a Dumas Standard J-1 right now and I've busted 6 of the fuse stringers in the last week, easy to fix, but makes you feel selly every time you break one...

Bill
Are you logging your build here on RCG?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Looking good! just got back from a day at the field with my Cub, spent most of the day practicing touch and goes in a strong crosswind, very challenging but lots of fun
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Are you logging your build here on RCG?

Yep Sky it's here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1586067
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:06 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert the bear View Post
Looking good! just got back from a day at the field with my Cub, spent most of the day practicing touch and goes in a strong crosswind, very challenging but lots of fun
You must be good, or brave. Taking off and landing are my favorites, but not in crosswinds. That gets my blood pressure up way to much, especially on a high wing plane.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Quote:
You must be good, or brave. Taking off and landing are my favorites, but not in crosswinds. That gets my blood pressure up way to much, especially on a high wing plane.
Or just plain stupid! It's a great way to practice rudder control, although i was frequently running out of rudder
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,626 Posts
Hiya SkylineFlyer- about the aileron servo mounts... yep... I'm easily confused! For the wingtips put sheeting on bottom surface. It's a lot easier to patch covering when it gets 'cut' dragging a wingtip on asphalt runways (Sawyer's) plus it'll strengthen it. Your wing looks good, BTW!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:28 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Yup!!
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
Oh no! Is that my kit? Did that happen recent? Cartwheel?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Hiya SkylineFlyer- about the aileron servo mounts... yep... I'm easily confused! For the wingtips put sheeting on bottom surface. It's a lot easier to patch covering when it gets 'cut' dragging a wingtip on asphalt runways (Sawyer's) plus it'll strengthen it. Your wing looks good, BTW!
Thanks. I looked at this as you've suggested it before. I'm just not sure on how to do it.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Oh no! Is that my kit? Did that happen recent? Cartwheel?
That's the same kit you have. That happened quite a while ago, It was SO windy I should have never flown. Check my blog for the rebuild pictures.

Your build is looking good. Great craftsmanship.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,352 Posts
I saw your blog. Nice job on the rebuild. Where did you keep your battery pack. It sounds like the exact same setup I'll be running.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,076 Posts
Battery pack was right where the fuel tank would go, about 3" behind the firewall. You'll have to cut out bottom crossmember from a former, but there is no compromise in strength.. Attach with Velcro on the floor, you can get it in through the missing window and plug it in if you make a 6" ESC extension cable.
Even though i crashed on the (electric) maiden, the Power46 and 4S 4900 proved to be a great combo. WOT takeoff was about 4 plane lengths. The rebuild is pretty much done, but the power system from it is now in a P51. When that crashes I'll put it back in the Cub lol.

Since you're starting from scratch, you can possibly put in better battery access from the bottom with a hatch. Mine was a glow conversion and I didn't want to do much extra cutting at the time. Here's the same model back when it was 45 glow powered.
RCG Plus Member