Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Mine just arrived.

Some of the parts are made of steel (magnetic). The brackets appear to be aluminum. And some of the tubes are only very slightly magnetic, so perhaps stainless steel? All the fasteners seem to be steel and heavily magnetic.

Total weight, as delivered, without axles, measured 7.6 oz.

The design of some of the tubes is very weak due to the large holes drilled through them (nearly wiping out the entire wall thickness). There have been failures reported at these weak points so I'll want to consider how they might be ruggedized prior to refinishing. Also some of the mounting brackets bind against the main gear, so I'll want to do a little re-shaping also prior to refinishing.
Thanks for weighing the gear. Heavier than I thought! But you'll still like how it fly's. It does change the CG more forward though. I had to use a few more bumps of up trim based on where my batteries are located. Easy fix. I'll just move them back some.

I noticed the binding issue. I took my dremel and a cutoff wheel and trimmed and rounded the edges to fix that.
SkylineFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:43 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
You'll find the LG failure somewhere in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445753

Edit: Look at post #1688 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post21314356
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Last edited by loNslo; Sep 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
You'll find the LG failure somewhere in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445753

Edit: Look at post #1688 here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post21314356
The way I have seen some of the guys trying to land the overweight E-flight PA-18, its a wonder that more of these gears are not failing. For what they are, and the price point, they are a great value for a nice scale gear. With a little tweaking, they do a beautiful job. I have seen Robart Cub gear break and bend when people who have no clue how to fly a Cub properly try to land like a P-51.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
The way I have seen some of the guys trying to land the overweight E-flight PA-18, its a wonder that more of these gears are not failing. For what they are, and the price point, they are a great value for a nice scale gear. With a little tweaking, they do a beautiful job. I have seen Robart Cub gear break and bend when people who have no clue how to fly a Cub properly try to land like a P-51.
Yeah, I've been looking my gear over and I am just confused as to how these are breaking. These must be some intense landings. Even if there are video of this gear failing on easy landings, there is no way to see how all the other landings were prior to failure.

I just don't see it failing. But... I think I might order another set for a back up just in case they stop making them.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
May I suggest stripping, covering and then painting? I promise you that you will be more satisfied with the finished product if you paint last. The solartex will be a whole lot more opaque as well, and your color match will look a whole lot better. Just a friendly suggestion.
Scott, I followed your suggestion and WOW it turned out fantastic!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:00 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Looks like it was made for it.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:16 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,252 Posts
Wow, You gear really looks great! She looks the part now. Very nice job on the build.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Thanks guys! I hope to get years out of this plane!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
...I hope to get years out of this plane!
Don't we all!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Update: Maiden was 1 month ago and I've logged 18 flights on it now.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
SLF, Re My Sig 1/6 Scale Cub (Build/Finish) Trying to decide on covering. I used white Solarfilm with dark blue Microlite ironed on (carfeully) for trim on my Tritle Stinson Reliant and liked it, it's glossy and quite opaque. How do you like the look of your Cub now with Solartex? It looks somewhat "matte" in the pictures and maybe more scale-like as if the plane usually sits parked in the sun. I ordered the E-Flite landing gear today. Still undecided on wheels. Have an old set of Banner 3" sponge rubber wheels with "moon" hubcaps that I can paint yellow but no Cub logo. Hangar 9 will have 3 1/4" Cub logo wheels, not available yet. I even considered Trexler inflatable smooth baloon tires, but have read that they puncture easily and go flat.. Seeing has how I started this Cub in the 70's, I want to do it justice. Maybe I'll wind up with the Dubro 1/5 scale Cub logo wheels.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
SLF, Re My Sig 1/6 Scale Cub (Build/Finish) Trying to decide on covering. I used white Solarfilm with dark blue Microlite ironed on (carfeully) for trim on my Tritle Stinson Reliant and liked it, it's glossy and quite opaque. How do you like the look of your Cub now with Solartex? It looks somewhat "matte" in the pictures and maybe more scale-like as if the plane usually sits parked in the sun. I ordered the E-Flite landing gear today. Still undecided on wheels. Have an old set of Banner 3" sponge rubber wheels with "moon" hubcaps that I can paint yellow but no Cub logo. Hangar 9 will have 3 1/4" Cub logo wheels, not available yet. I even considered Trexler inflatable smooth baloon tires, but have read that they puncture easily and go flat.. Seeing has how I started this Cub in the 70's, I want to do it justice. Maybe I'll wind up with the Dubro 1/5 scale Cub logo wheels.
The look of the Solartex is amazing. The comments from those at the field make me very happy that I did it. It resembles the real thing and its not a shiny Cub. Its definitely worth the money. Its also way easier to apply than the standard film coverings. If you're wanting to go a different route than just the usual Yellow, Solartex does make many many different colors. You could definitely try something like you did on your Reliant. That would be pretty neat to see.

I had some inflatable pneumatic wheels on my 1/4 cub and absolutely loved them. I might even go to some in the future for this cub. The E-Flite landing gear works awesome. Feel free to post some pictures here of your plane. I would love to see it.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I have been perusing the J-3 Cub pix on Airliners.net and most yellow Cubs are only slightly glossy, if at all. I've seen Cub models in glossy film and they can a little cheezy.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
I have been perusing the J-3 Cub pix on Airliners.net and most yellow Cubs are only slightly glossy, if at all. I've seen Cub models in glossy film and they can a little cheezy.
Its funny though. When I first got into the hobby 6 yrs ago, I remember seeing a couple of the locals cubs being covered in fabric and some others being glossy because of using monokote or something similiar. Back then, I thought the glossy stuff looked cooler. When I was getting ready to cover this cub, I was torn which way to go. I took a gamble and it paid off. Whats important is to build it the way you like, after all, you'll be the one flying it.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
I am only concerned about how I will like the final look, and the more realistic the look, the more I'll like it. The old Banner streamlite wheels have an ingenious retention method, and look quite scale-like, guess I'll use them until something better becomes available. I plan to use manila folder material to finish off the cabin interior and and lay the two 2200 3S packs (total 6S) in the bottom with velcro and the seats and control sticks on top of them, removable for pack changes. The Astro Cobalt 25G, heavy Astro speed control, UBEC and aluminum Pasquito mount may make the model a little nose-heavy. If this power system and two lipos make the model too heavy to fly slow and scale-like, I may have to go to a much lighter modern brushless system. I love slow graceful flight.This is really just a BIG stick model with a 6-foot one-piece wing. My modelling skills have improved somewhat since I started this build in the 70's and fiddled with it off and on since then
Last edited by E-Challenged; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:42 PM.