Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146 View Post
7.5 lbs. wow.

My Pat Tritle L-4 Cub at 54" weighs 17 ozs ready to fly with a 2200 3s pack.
Even though it seems heavy, its not really. 76" wingspan is pretty big. Plus, Pat designs his planes on the extremely light side. I'm flying on a 4s5300. Its quite a bit bigger than yours. The GP manual says that the weight on this without fuel is 7.5 lbs. More so with fuel.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,833 Posts
Quote:
7.5 lbs. wow.

My Pat Tritle L-4 Cub at 54" weighs 17 ozs ready to fly with a 2200 3s pack.
17 ounces???? with a 2200 3S pack???
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,943 Posts
Sorry I didn't notice the thread update, congratulations on a great maiden and beautiful cub Skyline! The solartext job you did makes any other cubs in it's size look well...plasticky haha. Once again, great job!

A Tritle L-4 at 17 oz? Going to have to say bull on that one... I love my Tritle planes (Porter, C180 and DC-6B) and they do fly great considering how light they are but with a Cub at this size and wing area, it is important to have weight to penetrate wind. Also, remember this kit is a few decades old (I', assuming) and made for a glow system.

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Thanks Dereck. They definitely built this for glo/gas. Its not light to begin with and after being fully loaded, it comes in at 7.5 lbs. I could only image what the one you flew weighed though. Must have been pretty heavy. I'll be downloading the video later today. Thanks again.
Very nice build and congrats on the flights! I just love Cubs even if they are electric *wink*! The SIG Cub can be built much lighter but requires more skill during the build. I am currently in the 'paint stage' of my PA-12 converted from the SIG J-3. Try one out sometime. Cheers!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Sorry I didn't notice the thread update, congratulations on a great maiden and beautiful cub Skyline! The solartext job you did makes any other cubs in it's size look well...plasticky haha. Once again, great job!

A Tritle L-4 at 17 oz? Going to have to say bull on that one... I love my Tritle planes (Porter, C180 and DC-6B) and they do fly great considering how light they are but with a Cub at this size and wing area, it is important to have weight to penetrate wind. Also, remember this kit is a few decades old (I', assuming) and made for a glow system.

Ethan
Thanks Ethan! And yes, I've been told somewhere in this thread that its from the early 90's, so it definitely wasn't built for electric. This was a fun build and taught me a lot. I didn't learn from myself or the plans, but everyone here that has come in to offer their insight, opinions, and ideas. I'm very thankful to everyone that has come in here, even if its just to offer their support. Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,712 Posts
Quote:

Ethan
Ok, just ran downstairs and weighed it. I was mistaken, I use either a 1000 mah 3s, or sometimes a 1200 2s for slower flight. Airframe without battery - 15 ozs - even. Battery = 2 ozs. You do the math..... Besides, Pats was lighter than mine.

Back to our regularly scheduled program......
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Very nice build and congrats on the flights! I just love Cubs even if they are electric *wink*! The SIG Cub can be built much lighter but requires more skill during the build. I am currently in the 'paint stage' of my PA-12 converted from the SIG J-3. Try one out sometime. Cheers!
Ha! I so love electric. Its a challenge in itself though. Trying to convert a plane designed for fuel and design a way to keep the CG right, while not having to add unneccessary ballast to get it right. I'm definitely not bragging, just lucky, but I didn't need to add either nose or tail weight after building this. The lipos, esc, and motor just happened to be in the right spot. SWEET, I thought.

ARUP, give me your link to your PA-12. I'd love to see it.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Ok, just ran downstairs and weighed it. I was mistaken, I use either a 1000 mah 3s, or sometimes a 1200 2s for slower flight. Airframe without battery - 15 ozs - even. Battery = 2 ozs. You do the math..... Besides, Pats was lighter than mine.

Hey, its okay. I'd love to see your plane. Its crazy that you can fly off of a 2s lipo! PM me your number, maybe I'll drive over tonight or tomorrow and check it out!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:25 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,408 Posts
My Tritle L-4 weighed 18 ounces with 2s.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
My Tritle L-4 weighed 18 ounces with 2s.
Man yours weighs a lot! Just kidding. I've seen some of Tritles planes, they seem really nice. I just feel that they are on the delicate side, but I've never held one.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:41 PM
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,943 Posts
Quote:

You are right, sorry My Tritle planes had flaps and were around 25 oz. so I didn't think about how much lighter the L-4 structure is.

Skyline, I thought the structure would feel fragile but it is very strong because the construction technique came from FF aircraft. However if you hold it in the wrong places you might here some cracks and snaps from the balsa stringers.

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is online now Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Hey, its okay. I'd love to see your plane. Its crazy that you can fly off of a 2s lipo! PM me your number, maybe I'll drive over tonight or tomorrow and check it out!
Pm sent

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1238073

My saga
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:06 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
You are right, sorry My Tritle planes had flaps and were around 25 oz. so I didn't think about how much lighter the L-4 structure is.

Skyline, I thought the structure would feel fragile but it is very strong because the construction technique came from FF aircraft. However if you hold it in the wrong places you might here some cracks and snaps from the balsa stringers.

Ethan
Its plenty strong for flight. I don't doubt that. I was talking about my clumsy hands.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,151 Posts
Quote:
Got it. I look forward to meeting you Dion.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
Henchmen wanted. Send Resume.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,055 Posts
Superb job Skyline. Pictures look great. You're making me wish I had progress on my Cub rebuild.

Seems some people are shocked by the weight but that's normal for this bird. With that thick flat-bottomed wing it's a real floater.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member