SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Got your PM. Remind me in a week. I should hopefully be done with the manual.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:38 AM
Joined Jun 2007
434 Posts
Looking good i also found the the fabric covering easier to work with than Monokote.
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
cant wait to see it in person and fly!
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:35 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Getting further along. Not happy with the color on the cowl. I'll have to sort that out in a while. I just want to finish this plane.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:57 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
The colors look good in the photos.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Thanks loNslo, its got to be the camera. It doesnt look that good in person.
Last edited by SkylineFlyer; Aug 24, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
Getting further along. Not happy with the color on the cowl. I'll have to sort that out in a while. I just want to finish this plane.
Kinda the same problem with full scale planes even if its the same paint on metal/cowling that it looks different than when its on the covering.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
Kinda the same problem with full scale planes even if its the same paint on metal/cowling that it looks different than when its on the covering.
Hows it looking so far?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
So I'm getting ready to put the side windows in and low and behold they're too SMALL!!!! There is like a serious 1/8" gap all around. The vacuum mold apparently made the recess to small and the flange just barely covers over the opening. Its going to look absolutely horrible.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:04 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
You might have to build up the frames with a bit of balsa to get the molded windows to fit nicely.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,079 Posts
The whole idea of keeping the rear fuselage, tail parts, pushrods and tail wheel as light as practical, including use of light weight covering is to reduce the amount of nose ballast that may be needed to cure tail heavinesss. Mounting battery pack and other items ,as far forward as practical, also helps reduce need for nose ballast. Light weight coverings tend to be semi transparent. I found that regular solarfilm is the most opaque of iron-ons and is probably the lightest if you don't want to see structure through covering. Choose the lightest motor, battery pack and speed control ,etc. that will yield about 75 watts per pound for scale like flight in calm air. Heavy motor and battery pack combos make landings harder, make stalls happen at faster airspeeds, and require faster cruise speeds. Watch a real Cub burn up the sky at 65mph.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
The whole idea of keeping the rear fuselage, tail parts, pushrods and tail wheel as light as practical, including use of light weight covering is to reduce the amount of nose ballast that may be needed to cure tail heavinesss. Mounting battery pack and other items ,as far forward as practical, also helps reduce need for nose ballast. Light weight coverings tend to be semi transparent. I found that regular solarfilm is the most opaque of iron-ons and is probably the lightest if you don't want to see structure through covering. Choose the lightest motor, battery pack and speed control ,etc. that will yield about 75 watts per pound for scale like flight in calm air. Heavy motor and battery pack combos make landings harder, make stalls happen at faster airspeeds, and require faster cruise speeds. Watch a real Cub burn up the sky at 65mph.
Thanks for those tips. I would have loved some tips like this early on in the build. I probably would have lightened the tail by removing some material. Oh well. This one should weight 6 lbs after everything is said and done I think. I believe I'm using Solartex. Is that much different than solarfilm?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
Nearing the end

I should be done by the end of this week provided I don't have any further hiccups.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
wood is good
Joined Jun 2012
1,345 Posts
How did you get the windows to fit?

And did you use a .46 motor?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,367 Posts
I took your advice and added a strip of wood along the top side. I sanded it prior to get it as smooth as possible and then did a butt joint with thin CA on the inside of the plane. I then covered one side of the plane with a thin strip of Solartex, but didn't like it. I tried the other side with a water based paint that was a close match and it looked way better. Go figure.

And yup, I'm using a E-Flite Power .46 motor. Its 4s and 5s capable.