HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BlueFielder, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:58 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Discussion
REDeux 24" Flying Wing

The idea was create something SLOOOOW... and muneverable/agile that I could enjoy flying in a small park. .... among the trees.

Seems everyone wants to go FAST. But that gets boring pretty quick.

So with this in mind.... I needed to think LIGHT (yet durable)
I knew I needed a little bit of an under camber ... but didn't want to go through cutting /hot wiring foam.

Experimenting with Kline Fogleman airfoils.... I started thinking outside of the box.
The addition of a much smaller % than suggested bottom step seems to replicate the forces that are present in a typical under cambered wing. It also seems to reduce stalling considerably. But by keeping % of chord/step small... this design still has the ability to jump into 'fast'..... with excellent response/control.

The build is VERY easy and can be assembled in a night... with overnight glue times.

BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Last edited by BlueFielder; Mar 07, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,800 Posts
24" Flick Wing

Looks like a nice flyer. Not sure it is all that different from a half dozen in the same size range. The curve cut of the top KFm looks a little different. I like wings, lol. Thanks for sharing.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:39 AM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
Looks like a nice flyer. Not sure it is all that different from a half dozen in the same size range.
The main difference is the under camber.
Everyone is building wings for SPEED, strapping way to much power, prop & battery that just makes another flying plank.

At 24" and under 5 oz this one dances ... but also has the ability to 'zip' when needed.
BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:35 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,800 Posts
I Like Slow Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotEye View Post
The main difference is the under camber. ... At 24" and under 5 oz this one dances ... but also has the ability to 'zip' when needed.
I really, really like slow flyers and am looking forward to the build show and tell. The under-cambered (UC) wing idea sounds like a good one.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah