SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Discussion
Frog Build Off Oct 2011-April 2012 - Vanda Mk. 2

Hi, here's my contribution to the Frog Build Off, I've made a start on a Vanda.

The Vanda is a 40" free flight glider, with a two-piece wing and removable tailplane, so it looks like it was very bike-transportable

I got my building mojo back doing the fuselage, lots of full formers slotted into the sheet sides.

It's going to have rudder and elevator control so I can chuck it off the local hill.

(Frog 45 build to follow as soon as I can see if the Frog 160 will crackle into life).

Jon
vega is offline Find More Posts by vega
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:11 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Never seen a Vanda. subscribed!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:40 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
I've added your build log url to the build-off thread Jon. Frog had some nice gliders, maybe not competitive ones but mostly very good looking and sturdy. Watching with interest.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
subscribed!
Me too!

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Minimal progress this weekend, lots of rib cutting, and stripping 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 strips.

Tail plane is modded to have an elevator. I tend not to bother cutting ribs to the plan profile anymore, rather, I sand ribs, spars etc to section using a permagrit block once the outline has been assembled. The structure is a bit beefier as befits a light wind sloper.

Jon
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
A bit more progress as I asserted my right to the dining table this arvo. Fin, rudder and centre section all assembled and radio gear sorted out

I've no idea when the Vanda 2 was published, any ideas?

cheers

Jon
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
I've no idea when the Vanda 2 was published, any ideas?
Jon,

Frog produced the original Vanda from 1945 until 1950. Not sure about the Mk 2

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Thanks Ray, I'll start wading through 50's Aeromodellers... it would be good to know the history of what I am cobbling together

Jon
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
wing tips added, tail feathers roughly shaped. It sort oflooks like a glider now!
I'm not overly convinced by the rudder area, so that might get a tweaking.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
Yep, definitely looks like a glider! Don't know if it will help with deciding about the rudder area, but the photo below is of my 2 channel Jader 60, similar layout to the Vanda but bigger, shows the percentage of rudder I used (fin outline exactly as per plan) which gave excellent rudder control. Rudder hinge line is not swept forward, it is just the angle of the photograph which was aimed at showing the AMT arrangement.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:45 AM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Back after a bit of a break... work and the occasional need to go stand on a hillside has distracted progress.

Here's where I am at with the build, I should have it finished for the deadline.

I tried to have a go with tissue over mylar. The five thou mylar was fine to apply... the jap tissue went on fine... the synthetic dope was... well, not to my liking, loads of work to create something that looked like it had been covered with transparent solarfilm, it just didn't look "right". So off it came, and now the wing is recovered with just tissue (doping to happen if it decides not to rain today). Had I had the time I would have used with mylar/tissue/dope but I really want to get this thing done and i really miss field repairs to ripped tissue...

Servos are in, just a case of making another rudder (I have decided to increase the area, thanks for the Jader pic George), making elevators, finishing the hatch, then off to banishment in the garage with the dope. FIngers crossed it might even get flown next weekend.

KK Chief or Veron Impala on the to do list if the next build off is KK/Brit kits
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
Looking nice Vega, sorry you didn't like the mylar/tissue/water based poly finish, as I said it is more translucent than mylar/tissue/dope, but I personally find it quite attractive and definitely not at all like transparent Solarfilm - matter of personal taste I guess. Glad it is going to be finished, be sure to post a picture so I can lift it for the voting poll page.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2004
65 Posts
Rain stopped play

Here's where the Vanda is at. It's still way too humid out there to start doping, I'll rush slowly on when the weather cheers up a bit.

It should be fine of the local slopes in a gentle breeze.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:15 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,023 Posts
OK Vega - close enough to finished for me to post it on the poll tomorrow!