HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:38 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
I have thought about a couple different things, I have Rusty's floating plate and some of those rubber clasps like SD used on his (http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...7-DSCN1168.jpg) that I am going to try using first. I am not sure yet if I am going to find some small grommets and mount it just like his, or if I am going to attach the clamps to the metal spacers on the top piece. I think either will work, though the 2nd option might require drilling some new holes in the floating plate.
Matt....

The way i have it now seems to work pretty well....One note though...i dont actually have the full plate attached....the gimbal wouldnt fit with the actual "plate" that comes with the floating assembly...so in its place is where i mounted the ruber clamps to the nylon standoffs...im sure you could see that in my pics.

I am going to order 6 more rubber dampers to double up on each side since i think only 3 on each side may not be enough...a little flimsy.
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
24 Posts
That is strange, I can't find the either..
I think they are changing the site or something, in the "news" part they don't say anything about it.
Send them a email, I think they would be happy to help you!
Diedsen is offline Find More Posts by Diedsen
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
60 Posts
any updates or test videos with the new gimbal?
ardianblur is offline Find More Posts by ardianblur
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
I'm using the Two Dee V2 with Savox SC-1257TG servo for roll. Its works well but i got a very limited roll on the gimbal whit it. It seems like the servo dont have a big enough degree of rotation. Is there anyway to get a bigger degree of rotation out of the servo, or do i need to change the construction of the gimbal in any way?
chris wil is offline Find More Posts by chris wil
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
Musician-Designer
Türkiye, Istanbul
Joined Mar 2011
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris wil View Post
I'm using the Two Dee V2 with Savox SC-1257TG servo for roll. Its works well but i got a very limited roll on the gimbal whit it. It seems like the servo dont have a big enough degree of rotation. Is there anyway to get a bigger degree of rotation out of the servo, or do i need to change the construction of the gimbal in any way?
Yes,there is.I m planing a little potentiometer module for it.I hope I will design it as soon as possible.
ozanozkok is offline Find More Posts by ozanozkok
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:56 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
Here's the very first test I did with the Twodee V2 on my hexa with my Sony PJ710V. Still have some jitter on the roll axis, not sure how to solve my problem.

pj710v test # 2.mp4 (4 min 27 sec)
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,374 Posts
@saucisse....nice video. I really like those PJ710V...i hear the stabilization is amazing on them...unfortunately its a little out of my price range...looking at going with the new sony RX100 which seems to take really nice stable video.

Anyways...what are you using as your gimbal control? If its Naza...you may not get rid of those jitters all together...I know the WKM has gotten better....but for best results you will want to use a completely separate Gimbal control...

Im looking at getting the hoverfly gimbal board as ive seen some really nice results with this..
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,374 Posts
TwoDee gimbal from a different view

Ok so here is a little video i made that you might find amusing...i actually posted this in its own thread...but for those of you using the twodee...here is a different use and view of it in action!!

Flight of the Pig (2 min 25 sec)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:29 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,186 Posts
They sure are! Awesome camera for the money if you ask me. Already got the gentLED zoom control for it, cannot wait to try it.

Some of my friends do use more expensive/heavy cams ( Cannon 5D and such) with results that for their uses/my use just don't justify paying that much money for... and in case of a crash, we'll all be crying, but their wallets will be left with a bigger hole then mine lol

Yeah that was done with the Naza, not sure what's causing this exactly, some lose somewhere in the roll axis or the Naza itself? It's nothing 'big'' but still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
@saucisse....nice video. I really like those PJ710V...i hear the stabilization is amazing on them...unfortunately its a little out of my price range...looking at going with the new sony RX100 which seems to take really nice stable video.

Anyways...what are you using as your gimbal control? If its Naza...you may not get rid of those jitters all together...I know the WKM has gotten better....but for best results you will want to use a completely separate Gimbal control...

Im looking at getting the hoverfly gimbal board as ive seen some really nice results with this..
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I got my GO mounted to my hexa a couple of days ago but I still need to switch out my current RX for an s.bus RX (and need to modify some wires) so that I can have all 6 motors working and still control the gimbal with my flight controller. I also had to get new landing gear which I just installed last night. I did do a quick test flight with it this morning mainly to test out the new landing gear, but also threw my camera on it even though the GO isn't stabilizing at the moment. Even so I'm already happy with it, it looks like there is almost no vibration getting to the camera which with my previous gimbal I was still having some vibration issues.

I hope to have the chance over the weekend to get my new RX installed. I will be sure to post some video as soon as I can.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2011
3,374 Posts
@Matt...

is that the new Rusty's tube leg mounts??
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
SD - yes they are. For the sake of speed and to save a few bucks i bought 5/8 poplar from home depot for the legs. The wood seems strong enough at the length that i have it (11.5") and i do my best to land softly .
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchase View Post
SD - yes they are. For the sake of speed and to save a few bucks i bought 5/8 poplar from home depot for the legs. The wood seems strong enough at the length that i have it (11.5") and i do my best to land softly .
Nice!! i was trying to figure out what that material was...the nice thing about that is if iyou break one...they are cheap to replace and easily sourced at your local hardware store...you could probably even spray them black to match if you really wanted too..

I will probably end up going the way of the tube mount legs here in the next couple of weeks...

Oh and one more question...how do you like having the battery top mounted? Currently i mount my battery underneath behish the gimbal which i have pushed out front further so its not directly under the center of the frame...seems to work ok ...but i like the idea of keeping the COG directly in the middle....I might have reconfigure my setup...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I do plan on painting the legs eventually, I just wanted to see how they worked before I did too much else to them.

Having the battery on top is convenient and does help keep the COG in the middle of the frame, but I would actually rather have it tucked into one of the lower frame plates. I bought some taller spacers to do this with but ended up with wires and a power distribution board where I was going to put the battery. I want to redo the wiring so that I can clean it up a little and open up that lower area for batteries.

And I think the way you are doing it is fine, I considered using the rear of the floating camera plate to put the battery on. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that as long as you put something on the opposite side to help offset the weight and keep things balanced. This only works though if you have a reason to add that extra weight, I would try to keep the battery centered if I didn't have a need to put something else on the front / back that would offset the weight. In my case the gimbal is pretty much on center but the bulk of the weight of the camera I use is actually slightly back from center, partly because I have a pancake lens on it that weighs next to nothing. If I had a larger lens on it then it would probably be more centrally balanced, though as it is it really isn't off by much. What I plan on doing is shifting the battery slightly forward when I mount it. I can remember doing similar things when I flew planes, I would use quarters or pennies on the nose or tail to help get the COG in just the right spot. In the case of a plane it didn't take much extra to balance so it wasn't a big deal to be adding a little "dead weight", for our multirotors it is probably best to keep things as close to center as possible, unless like I said you have another component that you can use to offset the imbalance.

When I get home I will take / post some photos of how I mounted the gimbal. If I remember correctly I ended up using one part from the CM-2 and one part from the floating camera plate, plus some spacers, grommets, and screws.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,193 Posts
mattchase
You may consider only using 3 legs it Tri config instead of four, you will will have less problems taking off on different types of ground including uneven ground. Just my two cents.
Also wasnt you missing the clamps for the camera plate to, when did you get yours I have not got mine yet still waiting on them.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64