Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfemmert View Post
I too find the dark blue distracting and like the old style but that's just what I'm use to. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

RCG's is still the best, it's the knowledge of the members and the unlimited amount of info you can find here that make it so very useful.

I use to check out Wattflyer.com once in awhile but it seems like most members there are newbies compared to RCG's. Sorry Wattflyer.

One thing I really miss is how you use to be able to scroll through the photos in a 500 page thread. You could look at a photo and see 5 photos below it at the bottom of the page and click on "next 5 photos" to scroll thru the photos in that thread. You could really cover some ground but now viewing / finding a photo takes some time.

David
I agree with you on the photo gallery thing but take note that this wasent apart of the redesign, that was done a while ago now. There is the "view all images in this thread" option but it only shows the images uploaded onto rcgroups servers and not the images using the [IMG][/IMG] tag. This is a problem because a lot of people use that and probably more so than rcgroups would like. I have asked rcgroups to do this twice.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, OH, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2003
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
I agree with you on the photo gallery thing but take note that this wasent apart of the redesign, that was done a while ago now. There is the "view all images in this thread" option but it only shows the images uploaded onto rcgroups servers and not the images using the [IMG][/IMG] tag. This is a problem because a lot of people use that and probably more so than rcgroups would like. I have asked rcgroups to do this twice.

Thanks for the tip, I just clicked on a photo and then clicked on "pics in thread" below the photo. I did this before but forgot about it.

David
dfemmert is offline Find More Posts by dfemmert
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
That is my point. Making cosmetic changes just for the sake of keeping up to date is a waste of resources. Spend the money on functional changes.

Glen
Its not design or/vs functionality it should be both, they are synonymous which is why along with the redesign I believe they could had added some useful functionality too. Clearly there is a reason behind why rcgroups redesigned the website in the first place and my best guess is an attempt to differeniate the website from the many online forums using the same default php forum template. With as many users as rcgroups has its surprising they hadent done it any sooner.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:38 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
396 Posts
Quote:
Its not design or/vs functionality it should be both, they are synonymous which is why along with the redesign I believe they could had added some useful functionality too.
I think appearance and functionality are different things. I have no problem with cosmetic changes, but some things shouldn't be forced on the member community. It's clear from this thread that a number of people -- myself included -- find the high contrast of the new blue sidebar to be visually annoying. To me it's like having a large, boring advertisement splashed across my browser. I installed an ad-blocker for just this reason; I don't hate ads per se, but do hate the visually distracting high contrast colors.

They could definitely use some new functionality, but I didn't see any significant improvements in that area.

Quote:
Clearly there is a reason behind why rcgroups redesigned the website in the first place and my best guess is an attempt to differeniate the website from the many online forums using the same default php forum template. With as many users as rcgroups has its surprising they hadent done it any sooner.
RCGroups is indeed successful. I think they have a pretty strong brand identity, and I've never been confused by which RC website I'm using. They do all seem to have a lot in common, but for me that's based on functionality more than appearance. Yes, appearance is somewhat similar across the websites, but perhaps for the same reason pages of different books look the same: It's comfortable to look at. Few people would want to read books with colored paper or huge high contrast page borders.

If they really feel the need to make visual changes, at least make it configurable so we can choose a less annoying color or even just a less annoying shade of blue. Oh, and let us choose a font. The new one is terrible.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu