HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:19 PM
Posse Member
Joined Jun 2009
778 Posts
Nice Pisaneli!! Im really getting motivated now. Now all i need to do is drop off my plane to the builder ( too lazy to build )
Eddie.C is offline Find More Posts by Eddie.C
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,805 Posts
I picked up one from SUSA and have started going through all the things I need to put it together. I have also raced Warrens at Grass Mt. and had a real good time flying it. My best time for the day flying the Willow was 36.xx. Mine is Red and Yellow and the colors look stunning. Needs some cleaning up around the parting lines, and getting the joiner to fit right, but overall, it is a nice looking plane. Waiting for servos, SUSA was out of them, should be coming in the mail soon.

Thanks SUSA team, you people are the best.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
Throw it, sort it out later
United States, CA, Dana Point
Joined May 2011
117 Posts
Willow Maiden

I finished the willow (almost a few odd and ends to complete). The maiden went really well. It flew out of my hands and seemed to be balanced perfect. No trim adjustments were required? I spent a lot of time setting up the throws and balancing . CG is currently at 103 mm I performed a dive test it held its trajectory no up or down. I imagine a more experiecned pilot could have different requirements. The lift was lite with a few thermals coming though. The willow cut through the air. I flew slowly for around 8 minutes on the first flight. Landing was ok Flaps slowed it down but I need some elevator adjustments. Second flight 40 minutes I got the willow going!!! Wow fast plane. I need to make some adjustments rolls were eradic. Differential? Plane looped well and flew inverted ok. Need to add snap flaps for the turns. This is my first full size F3F glider so I cant make any comparisons. Im really happy with the plane. I cant wait to fly it again.
Bxski is offline Find More Posts by Bxski
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,840 Posts
Awesome! Love the color choice. Check out the Grass Mtn 2 day thread, I am hosting a F3F gig, with the emphasis on gathering confidence and skills to ensure a good time. I would be glad to see you then, i think there will be quite a few Willows in attendance.
WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Topsham
Joined Jun 2006
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxski View Post
I finished the willow (almost a few odd and ends to complete). The maiden went really well. It flew out of my hands and seemed to be balanced perfect. No trim adjustments were required? I spent a lot of time setting up the throws and balancing . CG is currently at 103 mm I performed a dive test it held its trajectory no up or down. I imagine a more experiecned pilot could have different requirements. The lift was lite with a few thermals coming though. The willow cut through the air. I flew slowly for around 8 minutes on the first flight. Landing was ok Flaps slowed it down but I need some elevator adjustments. Second flight 40 minutes I got the willow going!!! Wow fast plane. I need to make some adjustments rolls were eradic. Differential? Plane looped well and flew inverted ok. Need to add snap flaps for the turns. This is my first full size F3F glider so I cant make any comparisons. Im really happy with the plane. I cant wait to fly it again.
I think the Willow just achieved it's aim! I can't tell you how good it is that you're enyoying the model.

Grass mountain might just be too far for me to get a pass from the missus (this year) but one day......

Ian
dolphin56 is offline Find More Posts by dolphin56
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:47 PM
Throw it, sort it out later
United States, CA, Dana Point
Joined May 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Awesome! Love the color choice. Check out the Grass Mtn 2 day thread, I am hosting a F3F gig, with the emphasis on gathering confidence and skills to ensure a good time. I would be glad to see you then, i think there will be quite a few Willows in attendance.
WD
If I can get a pass from the missus I would like to attend. I have a lot to learn.
Bxski is offline Find More Posts by Bxski
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,997 Posts
Hello all
I am Rubio Ed's flying buddy. I'm into a different type of slope soaring and don't frequent threse threads.
I was at the Willow maiden. It was quite a sight to see. I'm proud of Ed's build it really came out well.
Here is the video I shot.

Willow Maiden (6 min 10 sec)

Rubio
Ultrabatics Noob
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Last edited by 67econoline; Aug 07, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,840 Posts
Very nice.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:57 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Hey guys on my willow CG is around 102MM and i have problem finding a good differential setup for nice rolls. Can somebody give me a hint on how much differential to use?

Also what`s your experience flying willow with a) just ailerons b) flying ailerons +flap mix.
psanitra is offline Find More Posts by psanitra
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:00 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
I am maidening my e willow and also my slope willow next week

Can someone explain how to set up differential and what it does? I have found it in the dx8 menu but have no idea how to use it
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psanitra View Post
Hey guys on my willow CG is around 102MM and i have problem finding a good differential setup for nice rolls. Can somebody give me a hint on how much differential to use?

Also what`s your experience flying willow with a) just ailerons b) flying ailerons +flap mix.
Mine is set up like this .
Aileron- 12mm up 8mm down (measured at the tip)
Flap mix 4mm up 3mm down

using flaps aswell does increase roll rate . and Snap flaps really give a good kick through turns , HTH

BobbyR - Pink Willow (1 min 15 sec)

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,840 Posts
That sounds about right, Bobby. I am getting set up to measure my throws, since Ive been asked a few times. I have been taking more weight out of the nose, and my cg may be not where you want yours. I know I started at 102, but have moved a bit back...maybe more than that.

Will report

WD
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:09 AM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
For what its worth guys ,
my CoG was at 108 mm , it worked fine , but had a slight tendancy to flick on hard elevator input , ive reduced it to 104 mm and find it good for me ,
I will be honest . it could go to 101 mm as a few pilots here in England are using , and are getting good results with that CoG .
I think the magic number is 103mm as a starting point, but it will be a little pilot preference.
if your not getting good results from CoG it may be worth checking tail incidence , if your trimming to keep it in level flight , then its worth a look at , you could just use a little tape under the tail seat , front or back dependant on your trims ,
Mine needed a small amount under the front of the tail .

HTH

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,840 Posts
Cg riding at 108. No issues. I have the tail shimmed in front as well. I have a new fuse with the 2 piece tails coming, and will see how that goes. I have the aileron travel "maxed" on up travel, I forgot how much, since rcg was down yesterday, differential is easy, try it how Bobby has his, and see where that takes you....
I am going to try the cg back up at 102 or so, and do a bunch of back to back flights, and compare the "feel"....
WD
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:24 PM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
Just maidened my E Willow at Thurnham in Kent
Lovely plane, easy to fly, great energy when gliding and 1.5kw of 5 cell power for unlimited vertical when required!
Great plane, gonna hit the slope again tomorrow
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10