Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:37 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,435 Posts

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Feb 05, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
Josh18

Hey I dident say it was right, but open your eyes every thing and I mean everything is made in china and it sucks. But you and I both know we could not afford half the items we play with if it was made here in the GREAT USA. even the shotgun I shoot is made over the pond and I do own a couple moldies from china that the fit and finish is very very good, as nice as any I have seen from the UK or Germany.
Try and buy a 60inch flat screen made in the usa, did I hear 4k?????? Oh ya molds for any one are not cheep just ask a CnC shop to price you the work
southern180 is offline Find More Posts by southern180
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:24 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,435 Posts
Unsubscribed.
I was mis-informed!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
I did some buying of a few asian made mol dies just to see what they were. One was called the Zoom. It was a copy of a model which I cannot recall the name of. Maybe a Baudis Cappachino? Weighed a ton especially in the tail. took 12 ounces to balance the thing. The joiner boxes were not integral with the spar. They were laying along side of it. Very flexy wing. Took a lot of work to make it even flyable. Things fit well but who cares?

One other of note was a plane that I do not recall the name of. It was supposed to be all carbon. Looking inside there was no carbon. It used a black fabric that certainly was not carbon. There are also folks selling this same cloth on eBay as carbon. Looks like black cotton.

I do agree that somewhere along the line the asian manufacturers will see the light and make their own designs with their own technology. It may shake up the hobby. Just because something looks like a copy on the outside does not mean that it is equal to the original. A good light and strong plane takes attention to detail and knowing what you are doing. Why take the time and effort to go this far only to make it a plane that will not sell well? The fit and finish may be fine but there is more to a good model than the outside.

If there are any Asian companies that want to invest the time and effort to make real models instead of knockoffs I'm interested. I have some ideas.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:43 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern180 View Post
Hey I dident say it was right, but open your eyes every thing and I mean everything is made in china and it sucks. But you and I both know we could not afford half the items we play with if it was made here in the GREAT USA. even the shotgun I shoot is made over the pond and I do own a couple moldies from china that the fit and finish is very very good, as nice as any I have seen from the UK or Germany.
Try and buy a 60inch flat screen made in the usa, did I hear 4k?????? Oh ya molds for any one are not cheep just ask a CnC shop to price you the work
Hey, Ive got no issue with planes being made in asia, in fact my favorite plane is my d60. But the difference here is dynamic is paying a manufacture in china to make the models for them but dynamic gets to make some profit from selling their own design. I cant even imagine the uproar if all of a sudden this said asian company came out with a dead copy. It must be a real kick in the guts for the maker of the Willow, which by the sound is a very small operation, to have just released his new model and then already have a chineese knock off to compete with. You definitely cant stop china copying things for half the price- its what they do! But if I cant afford the real thing then Ill just have to go without.
Also, if copying moulds is so expensive then why dont they go the extra mile and design their own.... because they know it would be cr@p.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:23 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern180 View Post
I understand people go to great time and effort with different hobbies, Helios,Planes and boats to include molded gliders. Not one of these items have a patent and are mass produced from China to the UK. As for copies you take your chance, here in the USA we buy from a couple main importers in other parts of the world they buy from other places that would cost us way too much in shipping.
Just because its copied don't make it junk, Most folks would say the wright bros. where also copied????? Some better than others! Launch Model makes a nice plane for the money and is sold in many parts of the world , with many different names, I own a NAN, Rcrcm, launch model and a few others , each has its good and bad points, some were 800 plus and others less than 300 bucks. I can say that the 500 has no better fit and finish than the 300 dollar plane sometimes better.
If someone has a problem with others reproducing a product they have produced then take them to court or spend some of that money and patent there wares.
I would ABSOLUTELY NEVER DO BUSINESS with this idiot!! Copying another's design is the worst form of stealing!! And for someone to say it's okay because they didn't try to protect themselves "legally" -- is simply immoral and and the backside of the donkey!! I'll NEVER do business with anyone that has this outlook as part of their moral fiber. Chinese products are NOT necessarily bad---but Chinese "RIPOFFS" are!! ANY product that steals from the original without compensation-- is NO GOOD! Trying to hid behind "legaleeze" just makes you a "sleezy" human!
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:35 AM View Post
SKY MODEL
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
Ya another China glider
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
There is a fair amount of commitment to see a project like this through. Ian has been the driving force behind the Willow, sourcing European materials and helping to set up manufacturing facilities in China. Well, it wasn’t with his commercial head that’s for sure but he had this dream of making a competition mouldy more accessible by simply making it cheaper. He wanted a retail price of just £500!

WRITE FROM THE WEB SITE SLOPERACER

OH YA I WISH THEY made it in an Electric FUSE
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:16 AM
SKY MODEL
China, Henan, Zhengzhou
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
We are kind don't want to hurt anyone

If you continue to slander the reputation ,We don't want to make things worse
SKY MODEL is offline Find More Posts by SKY MODEL
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
Hey its from the web site, I did not say it the manufacturer put it on the web I just repost what was written. So bring it on f.....
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Don't mind him Southern180. He's smarting 'cos his other thread got locked off by the mods.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Still have my pop corn out watching this one now.
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:32 AM
France
Joined Aug 2003
989 Posts
Hi all,

I'm currently reviewing the Willow F3F on www.planet-soaring.com. You can follow the assembly with lots of pictures and comment, hints and tips.

Good reading,

Pierre

prondel is offline Find More Posts by prondel
Old May 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
American Willow!

Some of you may know, but I have been doing quite a bit of flying with the Willow F3F recently, and I will give my assessment for those interested. Most of this is a repeat of Pierres findings, and I thank him for a few of the build tips (installing the wiring-before joining the subnose was nice, and I could imagine a serious thorn if I didnt).

This model is available from Soaring USA, and dealing with Bob, Annette and Gary is always simple..
I will highlight odds and ends of building the Willow, check out Pierres site for close up shots.
Willow was designed for F3F, without breaking the bank. You can fit many different sizes of servos, you dont have to be married to anything in particular. The linkages are standard old school, tough, durable and reliable. The wings are all bottom hinged, and getting max flap travel is no problemo. The wing skins are pretty burly, and will take a good skuff (Ive been flying Willow for quite a bit-no skuffs yet!). The fuse is quite a piece of thinking (good job on this one, Ian-wish I would have thought of it), with the sub nose NOT installed from the factory, you get to make your own servo tray, and on Pierres site he shows how to make a tray that encompasses the ballast tube (included) and goes way back in the fuse, so you have a serious joint from the midpoint of the subnose, way back to the joiner box-or so. This makes the fuse "DelHagen proof" (love ya, Bill), and it should be able to withstand quite a hit. So you have to "build" this plane. You have to make a servo tray, mount the servos in the wing, make linkages, etc. Did I tell you this plane was inexpensive? So you have to work a little. The parts from the kit are adequate, and it only took a couple of nights, and the plane was up and running.

So how does it fly? It flys great! I am spoiled, and live very near Pt.Fermin, and I get to fly often. I have been using Willow for practice for the upcoming Team USA select race, saving my Pike for race day. The Willow has been great for practice, it has great manners (like the Pike), and I have it setup as similar to the Pike as possible. The Willow has turned into that plane that gets put together first, and thrown out for a "feel". My ballast arrangement is 10 slugs, and Willow isnt ballast sensitive, light or heavy, the Willow is friendly, and has a great feel in all conditions I have encountered so far.

So thats my assessment. It is a plane you have to build. It flys great, its tough, and has great manners in the air. It is available from Soaring USA. It is relatively inexpensive. All my pals have flown my Willow, and they all enjoyed it... there you go, I would do a picture, but since mine is the same color as Pierres, who'd a thought it.
Great job, Ian. I think alot of people should get one of these in their quiver.
WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman