SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:13 PM
Launching!
Chula Vista, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,383 Posts
Thanks, that will give the San Diego crew a good starting poiint (probably finishing point) for the CG.
dc812 is offline Find More Posts by dc812
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,782 Posts
Maiden my Willow yesterday. Flew great, with just a click of down in each flight mode. Gave the controls to Warren and we both had it moving quite well for the light conditions at Pt Fermin. Before the flight I checked the throws against Warrens plane and it was pretty close, so off the cliff it went. It will be a great backup plane for next year racing season.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:35 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday48 View Post
It will be a great backup plane for next year racing season.

Bob
After seeing you fly the Willow, you might be makeing the wrong choice.....
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
Swiss tool may be right! Bobs best performances to date have been flying a Willow....just saying....
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:45 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2007
2,454 Posts
Thanks for stating the obvious, I am always right
fcbflyer is offline Find More Posts by fcbflyer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,782 Posts
Yeah, I agree to a point. The plane is fast and easy to fly, and yes Warren is right I have flown his Willow better then any of my Cyrils. We will see after the 1st of the year when I decide what my next racing plane will be.

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:36 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,484 Posts
I have to also commend my Willow for its durability. It's a full carbon version, with the one piece V-tail (now about 9 months old). I've had enough rough landings to conclude that it's holding together better than other big hollow mouldies I've owned/ seen. I just flew it at Woody Point, our very small dodgy local beachfront spot and had a great time. Landing was behind the beachfront row of trees on hard ground, so there's a danger of rotors etc. Approach was perfect, had to push down hard under flaps to bring it onto the grass before running out of room, and when I lifted flaps it did a bit of a belly smack and made quite a loud bang, and I cringed. But all was OK ... I was impressed ...
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:36 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
342 Posts
I am sad to report that my slope willow had a big impact with a big hill yesterday
It came in inverted and landed on the nose
The battery went flat on me, what a plonker forgetting to charge it fully
BUT the damage is minimal: broken joiner and nosecone, a couple of cracks in fuz, ailerons need re-epoxying...
Fingers crossed, I should be airborne again soon
Lucky escape / strong plane!
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Last edited by lukeydukey10; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Hey guys, any of you using snap flap more than 3-4 mm across the wing?(
recommended default settings) Because i`m flying about 100-102mm COG and it looks like with 6-7mm snap flap i can do much shorter/faster turns. So what i`m using now is 3mm mixed into elevator, and then on the throttle stick i have another 4mm that i can gradually add if i feel like it. Is somebody using similar setup, or just mixing?
psanitra is offline Find More Posts by psanitra
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:23 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,484 Posts
I think the snap flap optimum will vary depending on personal elevator rates, since the snap is linear to elevator stick movement. If you tend to keep rates down and fly such that you're pulling near full elevator, and have 3mm snap, then you'll be getting 3mm actual snap in hard turns. But if you use hot rates and are gentle with the sticks, you might only be reaching half stick. So in reality you'd only be actuating half of the "6mm snap".
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:52 AM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
I think the snap flap optimum will vary depending on personal elevator rates, since the snap is linear to elevator stick movement. If you tend to keep rates down and fly such that you're pulling near full elevator, and have 3mm snap, then you'll be getting 3mm actual snap in hard turns. But if you use hot rates and are gentle with the sticks, you might only be reaching half stick. So in reality you'd only be actuating half of the "6mm snap".
not my case, i`m actually doing 6mm snap , I think it might depend more on the COG, with cog more to the back the plane is more responsive to the wing profile change. So with COG at 103 or more to the back, one might be fine with less snap. My COG is a bit more forward, so that why i probably need a bit more snap.
psanitra is offline Find More Posts by psanitra
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:55 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,484 Posts
OK gotcha. Agreed.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:15 PM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
It Depends where you are flying , 6mm snap flap is an extreme amount IMO , and although you might think your coming out faster ,
I honestly doubt it , it will be quick , but the drag you create will slow it down, more than it gains .
On the Other hand, if its not flicking on you . Go with the flow.

Oh mine is 3mm Down to Full elevator , 2 mm up .

Have you got Ailerons coupled to snap flap as well ?

Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Last edited by Bobbyr; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
Just back from an epic morning flight at Pt. Fermin. We have clearing winds from a weather system that went thru. Winds at 25+ straight in. Maindeing Willow II, which is my original Willow, with the newer 2 piece vtail fuse. Full ballast was in order for the day. My flight was stellar, and I flew til I had had enough, and the landing was perfectly smooth. Cant ask for much more.

Let me give my 2 cents on the snapflap topic. I have continued to work towards balance of "speed thru the corners" and "shortening the radius of the turn", and each plane and each pilot will feel their way to finding a spot to their liking. I do feel, however that having too much snapflap is more deterrent than not enough. CG is relative as well...Also, what works for me may not work for you. I put the sticks full pull while flying. Some guys barely move past half throw. AvB is exactly correct about this. If you are lucky enough to have a site where you can fly and experiment, experiment is your friend...
Bob, I am around 4mm down with full elevator... Ailerons coupled.

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Topsham
Joined Jun 2006
70 Posts
7 out of 16 pilots at the UK southern winter league today were flying willows and we ended up with, first, second, 5th and 6th. COnditions were light so being easy to fly really helped!
dolphin56 is offline Find More Posts by dolphin56