HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2 Posts
sky willow

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Southern- I cant believe you would take the side of the chineese rip off copiers! The reason they are so cheap is that it costs very little to simply take a mould of someone elses model. The original designer did all the hard and from what I hear, expensive desin work. For someone else to blatantly copy the design, give it the same name and try to undersell it in the same market is plane wrong! I bet if you disected the two models you would find big differences in quality both in workmanship and also materials used- even if both look fine from the outside.
So yes you can buy the real deal or the copy for half the price but I for one think you're not doing anyone any favours by dudding the original designer.
As for taking the copiers to court, I cant imagine there being a lot of money in making/selling gliders so there's not much that can really be done about it, other than not buying the copies.
Just my 2cents worth anyway.
You don’t know what you are talking about this was the company that produced the entire prototype beta 1 to 4 Willows but the designer then dropped them and found a cheaper supplier. I have got 2 of them and flown it to the limit in 40mph wind and full ballast with no problems and for under £400. Sky Models in China worked hard on the Beta models and have now produced loads of then and have now got a very good product.

Carbon D box for £ 400 and I have had some bad landings with no damage and flown about 20 times this is the best glider I have bought.
ian falconer is offline Find More Posts by ian falconer
Last edited by ian falconer; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Topsham
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
It's always quite strange to see myself being reffered to in the 3rd party and even more so when being told what I did- or didn't do with the total lack of facts. I'm not going to get into that again or posting private E mails

Glad that you are enjoying the Willow. I certainly am and the improvements we have developed other the past 2 years.

Ian- the designer
dolphin56 is offline Find More Posts by dolphin56
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:21 PM
Good Times
Portland . Dorset . England
Joined Jun 2009
290 Posts
Got some good fast shots of the Pink Willow ripping up the Cliff edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-Z4GXZ7oD1s
Bob
Bobbyr is offline Find More Posts by Bobbyr
Last edited by Bobbyr; Dec 18, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm your huckleberry
USA, CA, Gardena
Joined Jun 2004
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteman View Post
Fast time of the day at yesterdays contest, 38.xx by my friend Bob M. flying my Willow. WD
My Willow is almost ready to fly, just needs nose weight and some throw adjustments. Hope it fly's as good as Warren's.

Racing Warren's Willow was great. I have been racing Ceres's and Cyril's the last couple of years. I have never won more than one round during a race with those planes. I flew Warren's Willow, and not only got the fastest time but won 3 rounds!!

Bob
Doc Holiday48 is offline Find More Posts by Doc Holiday48
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
252 Posts
My Willow has a new equipment. Can you guess what it is?
Pisaneli is online now Find More Posts by Pisaneli
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 AM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
252 Posts
Hi guys!

Experiencing and learning how to paint and finish surface. It's not pro but I like it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
Looks a good finish- White nose cones- Wish I'd thought of that one!

Hows the flying going or are you spending your time painting?

ian
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:48 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Ian, mine is going beautifully and I love it. Did you catch up with the news that we got it up to 157mph at Cass Ridge when I was visiting New Zealand just a few weeks ago? There's some good video of it here:

Cass Easterly 7Oct2012 (6 min 7 sec)

I've had it going a bit faster previously with no problems, but we had to hold back at Cass that day, because we heard it start to flutter at that speed. I later found that the dragspar had parted company with the skin for about 20cm over the aileron - very easily fixed with CA, and it's a very common injury to F3F planes that are DSed hard.

This one also has a lot of nice acro DS with the Willow, in front of the most beautiful scenery!

AvB's first visit to Wainui Ridge, near Christchurch NZ, 6Oct2012 (20 min 20 sec)

I'd really encourage you to think about a DS specific Willow, with a few tweaks such as bigger joiner, bigger spar and carbon wrapped dragspar. It is such a beautiful plane to DS and I think it can compete performance wise with sought-after DS-adapted ships such as the Nyx, which cost more than twice as much.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
252 Posts
Great videos and great slopes AvB. Nice to see Willow do DS.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
iSlope
Slovenia
Joined Mar 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin56 View Post
Looks a good finish- White nose cones- Wish I'd thought of that one!

Hows the flying going or are you spending your time painting?

ian
Thanks Ian.

Unfortunately no flying lately due to bad weather. That is why I took some time for Willow makeover.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,874 Posts
Maiden for Bob, and his Willow. I made it first and flew my Willow, all perfect, no surprise. Bob got his ready, and with barely a click of trim, his Willow looked like an old friend. Needless to say, he is a happy guy, so is the plane..so is my plane, maybe Bob wont need to borrow it all the time....ha...

WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:21 AM
Launching!
Chula Vista, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,446 Posts
Warren,

What CG did you settle on?

DC
dc812 is offline Find More Posts by dc812
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Sirrocco LT
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Jun 2006
77 Posts
I've settled on 102 for all mine- the bitsa I maidened on the cliffs of cornwall last week flew went straight and true.

I'm happy to bow to warren's greater skill

Ian
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:09 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Great vids Andrew. Mine is patiently waiting for the wind, ready to maiden. CG at 103mm
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,874 Posts
102-103 is good. way far back wasnt productive. WD
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman