SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Plasmajoe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:46 PM
A HOARDER ONCE MORE....GEEZ!!!
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Trader Rating: 319
For Sale
FREE - Engine test stand plans

I got tired of screwing around trying to test/tune my R/C engines by myself. Even though I had the engine mount securely fastened down, it was always a hassle trying to hold the throttle in a constant position when I was trying to start the engine. Well, I fixed the issue by building a nice test stand. I can not wait to test it, but first the stain has to dry. I am going to give it 5 days total to dry and then strap on a OS MAX 1.20 Surpass and let her rip.....LOL!!!! The throttle mechanism I have designed is very simple, but yet very easily adjustable from my 0.07 to 1.20

What I will be doing is taking all the finalized measurements and modeling it up in 3-D CAD program. Then I will create detailed drawings and a hardware list, so anyone wishing to build one for themselves can do it alot easier. They will simply have to go to LOWE's or Home Depot and a trip to your local hobby shop to get the listed materials.

I will be uploading a PDF of the plans shortly.

I wanted to first see if anyone was interested. If you would just post a message to this thread if you are interested, then I will start the process of creating the drawing. As you can see from the pictures.....SHE IS A BEAST!!!! Just the engineer in me coming out...LOL!!!

Regards, Gordon
Plasmajoe is online now Find More Posts by Plasmajoe
Last edited by Plasmajoe; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Trader Rating: 116
I like it...please continue with a drawing..

Thanks Gordon.!
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
Hi Gordon,

Your stand looks awesome. But I fear a strong engine will pull it over when you power up.

I would move the metal engine support to the end of the stand, which would give a much longer moment arm before it could pull over.

Even at that, I had to add a lot of weight to my stand when I ran my radial engine.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Good idea and you are correct. I would benefit from a longer moment arm, but I also put 80lbs on the shelf as well. I will weigh the stand tonight, but she is heavy! The pictures are kind of deceiving. The actual engine stand on yours.....Did you make it? Personally, I think you mounted yours that way so you could sit on the stand and have the wind from that big radial blowing your hair back and pretending you are flying a Stearman PT-19.

I am going to follow your suggestion and mount a second engine mount exactly like yours for testing larger engines....Say .90 and up!!!! I never thought about anything larger than a 1.20 because that is the extent of my engines. But with me posting plans on here, You never know what people will mount to it. Thanks very much for your input and suggestions.

Gordon
Last edited by Plasmajoe; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Just weighed it........31lbs....LOL!!! The pictures are very deceiving.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:51 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
31 lbs, yeah that's a beast! And then another 80 lbs ballast? okay....

Yes I made my test stand and I do fly it around my backyard, lol!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
It appears the actual engine mount that is bolted to your test stand is CNC machined. Do you make that as well and what is the range of engines that you can test on it?

.049 - Super Tigre 3000 ???

I think I found yours.....Is this it?

http://pspmfg.com/VibrationDampening...TestStand.html
Last edited by Plasmajoe; Jan 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,107 Posts
Oh sorry, I thought you were asking about my wood stand.

Yes, that is the PSP engine stand I have, but not the vibration version. Didn't even know about that one, must be new. I have had mine for quite a while now.

http://www.pspmfg.com/RCEngineTestStand.html