HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:30 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Ohhh , I missed the 3mm vs 6mm nuance. dang !

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Ohhh , I missed the 3mm vs 6mm nuance. dang !

Bob
I have to contribute something, your doing all the work.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
NDB :-) btw 46 is Out the Door !

Stand back ... any second now ...

L8r

Bob
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:04 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
Ok here ya go ...

I found enough room to get two set of the new parts.

I blasted the other ones, so no coflicts.

enjoy

Bob
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Ok here ya go ...

I found enough room to get two set of the new parts.

I blasted the other ones, so no coflicts.

enjoy

Bob
Update in post #1 of both threads.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:36 PM
SC
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
This one is really looking nice! I'll be painting this one before glueing it together. Plans are printed, Will build tomorrow... Third times the charm...
Paul
1905Flyer3 is offline Find More Posts by 1905Flyer3
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
The 31" version is NOW up on my site.

Bob

Northwest Cutout Service
www.balsabuddies.com
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Props for Flyguy

Many of you know that I was out of the hobby for 20 years so I missed the whole 4 stroke and slow fly revolution. This revolution included low wing loadings, aft CGs, large diameter props and low prop pitch. I can see how many could view Flyguy as another slow fly profile foamie. Flyguy is not a slow fly plane. His flight surfaces are out of the prop blast and are effective only at velocity. He flys more like a balsa shoulder wing trainer with ailerons. I mention this because I think that the turn problems reported may be due to people trying to set Flyguy up as a slow fly plane. The logic is there..... Depron = slow fly. For Flyguy62 and Flyguy46 you will need around a 1000kv motor and 6-7 inches of prop pitch on a 3S battery. At the motor wattage recommended, the prop slot pretty much dictates prop diameter. On Flyguy31, I run a 2500kv motor at 2S with 4.3 inches of pitch, perfect for the GWS 5x4.3 prop.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
358 Posts
Can you please clarify the thrust angle?
Here is what is written. "Center of motor should be 1/4 inch above center body plate centerline. Thrust line should have 0 side thrust and about 4 degrees down thrust vector. Since Flyguy is a pusher this means the motor should be pointed upward."

Ok, the 1/4" above center body plate... In the picture he is upside down. Is the motor mounted above the plate as in the picture which means the motor is under the plate when right side up?
The reason I ask is I'm about to mount my motor. I have a 31" Flyguy kit from birdofplay. With a 5" prop, It can't be mounted above the plate when right side up. The prop hits the shoulder plate. So the motor must be mounted closer to the chest plate. (I think)
Plus the prop slot isn't 5" wide but is easily cut bigger.

The 4 degree down thrust vector... Is this measured when he is right side up? So the prop thrust is pointed down 4 degrees? I really think it is but before I glue in my motor mount I want to be 100% sure.
To build my motor mount Flyguy has to laying on his back. I have to work on what would be the bottom of his chest plate. I'll only have one shot at getting this right.
My motor doesn't mount like yours so I need to design a different mounting system. I really only want to do this once...
Thanks.
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danford1 View Post
Can you please clarify the thrust angle?
Here is what is written. "Center of motor should be 1/4 inch above center body plate centerline. Thrust line should have 0 side thrust and about 4 degrees down thrust vector. Since Flyguy is a pusher this means the motor should be pointed upward."

Ok, the 1/4" above center body plate... In the picture he is upside down. Is the motor mounted above the plate as in the picture which means the motor is under the plate when right side up?

In the build thread, I chopped down the height of the side to lower the shoulder plate. My 5" prop is really a GWS 5" which means about 4.8". The thing to do is mount the motor as high as possible, centered or slightly above the center body plate, and also incorporate the 4 degrees of down thrust.

The reason I ask is I'm about to mount my motor. I have a 31" Flyguy kit from birdofplay. With a 5" prop, It can't be mounted above the plate when right side up. The prop hits the shoulder plate. So the motor must be mounted closer to the chest plate. (I think)
Plus the prop slot isn't 5" wide but is easily cut bigger.

Once you have the structure built, cut the ends of the prop slot away.

The 4 degree down thrust vector... Is this measured when he is right side up? So the prop thrust is pointed down 4 degrees? I really think it is but before I glue in my motor mount I want to be 100% sure.

When the motor blows air, it will blow it upwards at a 4 degree angle, toward the top/arm plate.

To build my motor mount Flyguy has to laying on his back. I have to work on what would be the bottom of his chest plate. I'll only have one shot at getting this right.
My motor doesn't mount like yours so I need to design a different mounting system. I really only want to do this once...
Thanks.
Danford1
Please ask more questions, if you need to. Best.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
I'm on that same "glue on the motor" step, with the same apprehensions. Can anyone provide a close-up pic of the motor in its proper position (I seem verbally, but hopefully not visually impaired)?

Edit: Oops, (danford1) just found pic #43 that was taken from the bottom and #44 from the top - thanx Otto.
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Last edited by rshep; Feb 21, 2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: oops
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
Innovator
United States, MI, White Lake
Joined May 2011
358 Posts
Rshep, Where did you find that picture?
Can you post a link to it?
Thanks
Danford1
danford1 is offline Find More Posts by danford1
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
danford1, go to "Thread Tools" at the top of the page; select "Show Attachments in this Thread"; go to #43 & 44.
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshep View Post
danford1, go to "Thread Tools" at the top of the page; select "Show Attachments in this Thread"; go to #43 & 44.
Picture #29 may help too. I'm going to add a drawing.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Thrust Vector Diagram

Here's a drawing that should help.