SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 16

Using a sanding block and table edge, bevel the edge of the feet to 45 degrees. Check to insure you make a left and right foot/elevon.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 17

Apply hinge tape to the top of each foot. Attach each foot to the respective outer center body piece. Offset the foot 3/16 inch to the outside so that there will be clearance with the side, when mounted.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 18

Trim each tab on the two outer center body parts to 2mm in length. Trim the outer edge of the foot to match the outer center body edge.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 19

Cut a corner from the Depron scraps to make a 90 degree support. Pin the outer center body parts in place. Pin the 90 degree support temporarily in place and apply a bead of CA along the joint and brush with accelerator. Cut two shoulder tops from scrap and glue on top of the top plate, inline with the body sides.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 20

Make a cutout for your battery in the head top and glue the head top in position.

Airframe complete. Weight, 1.43 oz.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 21

Before installing the motor, insure proper rotation. Motor should rotate clockwise. Reverse 2 motor power wires to correct, if necessary. Glue motor in place with 5 min epoxy. Center of motor should be 1/4 inch above center body plate centerline. Thrust line should have 0 side thrust and about 4 degrees down thrust vector. Note thrust vector diagram attached. Since Flyguy is a pusher this means the motor should be pointed upward, toward the top/arm plate. Install prop with camber facing forward. Hand rotate to check clearances. Trim as necessary.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 21, 2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 22

Trial fit your ESC and insure your battery plug is long enough. Attach the ESC to the side of the neck. I use a drop of CA. You will want the ESC close to the centerline to maintain lateral balance. Tack glue the battery power wire from the ESC to the neck to insure it cannot be sucked into the prop.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 23

Install a battery in the head top and locate your servos so that your Flyguy CG is correct. The CG should be 1/8" in front of the top of the notch between the shoulder blades. Draw the servo outlines on the sides and cutout the servo profiles. The servos should be under and flush to the center body plate. Glue the servos in place with CA. Install your receiver with foam mounting tape on the center of the underneath side of the center body plate. Servo location shown is for a 3s battery balance. The 2s battery balance will have the servos close to the prop slot. Tack glue or tape the servo wires to the center body plate. Update: I have included a photo of servo location for 2s setup.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 24

Glue some shaped foam, of an inch wide, to the breast plate, as shown. This will keep the side edges from digging in to soft dirt on landings. Sand to the side contour and cover with Duct Tape in your favorite superhero color. I used clear packing tape to protect for the test flight because I haven’t decided what he is going to be yet. If damaged from landing on rough or hard surfaces, the duct tape is easily replaceable . Tape should also be applied to his thighs. Use a yard stick to determine location, laying ithe yard stick flush across the bottom.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 25

If your servos are located to the rear, you will not need stabilizing guides for the linkages. If the servos are located near the prop slot you will need to add 2 guides from coffee stir straws to have a rigid linkage. Refer to the Flyguy62 build for details on this process. For a rear servo configuration, put a Z bend in one end of the 1mm music wire. Attach that end to the servo. Put another Z bend in the wire at the hinge line. Make a control horn from sheet 1mm plastic and attach to the music wire. Pin the foot in the neutral position and position the servo at neutral. Glue the horn to the foot and the side of the doubler. I have enough experience to know how long the horn needs to be for this application. If you are new, I recommend you use the alternate approach described in the Flyguy62 build log using the Parkzone hardware. Throws should be set so that full up (no roll) position of both surfaces is even with the top of the foot outline. Update: Photos of servos in forward position for 2s setup. CG, from additional flight tests, is best located 1/8" infront of the notch between the shoulder blades. Optional: I have found that with these high KV motors a little side slip occurs with power. I'm picky and like to trim this out. What I do is make a surface slice on the inside of the right calf at the tape location. I apply Foam Safe CA on the slit and bend the right foot toward the center about 3/8" and set the glue with accelerator.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Update CG
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Step 26

Recheck your thrust alignments. Recheck your lateral and longitudinal CG. Recheck your trim and throws.

Congratulations!!! Your Flyguy31 is complete. Go to the field and fly.

Flying tips-

Flyguy is easy to fly. Do not be concerned that he does not look like an airplane, because he does fly like an advanced trainer. It does take some mental adjustment to see/fly a human form in the sky. Because the center of drag is above the thrust line, he will do a slight pitch up with applcation of power even with the 4 degrees of down thrust vector. This is a desireable trainer characterisitc. Like most advanced trainers with ailerons, you will have to apply a little up to keep his head high in turns. I have had several beginners get stick time on Flyguy. These are flyers that have just figured out the right from left issue when the plane is coming towards them. They have enjoyed every minute of the experience. With this power setup, Flyguy cruises just above 1/2 throttle. Landing approaches can be flown with partial power but be sure to cut power completely just before touchdown. This will keep you from digging the prop into the ground, allowing it to rotate out of the way. Hand launches are easy but awkward. I set the transmitter on the ground, pick up Flyguy and hold him with my left hand by one of the breast plate skids at the CG. I then carefully (avoiding the throttle) pick up the transmitter and slowly apply full throttle and then give a gentle, nose high (15 degree) push and release. Off he flys. Check out the various videos. For the first few flights, it may be easier to ask for a hand launch.

Trimming: Your Flyguy may have a yaw to the left or right due to motor or structure alignment issues. If the yaw is significant, Flyguy will turn one way better than the other. This should be trimmed out immediately. If you have a nose left yaw, cut the inside left ankle surface of the Depron and bend the left foot toward center by a 1/4" and run a bead of CA down the cut line (note photo). If you have nose right yaw, do the same to the right ankle. Repeat until he tracks straight and you have good turn authority both directions.

Happy flying.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Update
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:26 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
It's a plane! It's a bird! No, it's a Flyguy!
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
I will be changing the parts to match In steps 5 ,6 ,7, 10 and 19 so builders wont have to make
those changes or new parts from scrap.

Otto's build was from THE 1ST TEST-RUN.

Also please know that in the past I have asked to make tabs longer than necessary
so that builders could sand them smooth and flush as opposed to having to fill a hole.

I will post here when changes are complete.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,761 Posts
New plans file a few posts down !

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Jan 24, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
New plans file with all Fixes Annotated !

Bob
Post #1 updated. Need to add a second set of lateral motor braces since I cut the ones in the build from 6mm Depron. Best.