SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:43 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Discussion
Soar utah 2012 (UPDATED INFO)

Soar Utah 2012 is scheduled for August 30-Sep 3.

Updates will follow as we get more organised,
so reserve the dates now.

Colby.

Soar Utah 2012 Registration Open

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soar Utah Registration is now open. You can see the most current information at www.soarutah.org.

Just Email the Registration information to IMSFSLC@yahoo.com and send your payment via the the Buy Now button on this page: http://soarutah.org/soar-utah-2012-registration/

We will continue to post any updates on the event both in this thread and on the Soarutah.org website.

If you have any specific question please post them here in the thread or if you like you can email me directly at spencerdeputy@utility-trailer.com

Quick Overview of Event:

If enough people show interest we will organize a group to visit Francis Peak on Thursday. Those of you that have never visited this location will want to check it out. It is our high elevation alpine soaring site with the most beautiful view you can imagine paired with ridiculous thermals and grassy landings. Since many use Monday as a travel day we want to offer a organized visit to this site on Thursday too. Please check the box if you are interested.

At Friday Aerotow we will have Dominos Pizza out there early taking lunch orders and delivering the food in hot boxes at lunch time. There will be Tow planes and winches available for all registered pilots to use. This is another unique part of the Soar Utah Experience. The Flight park is an old dried up lake bed giving a perfectly smooth runway in any direction and some nice thermal activity as it heats up. If you are bringing anything with landing wheels or a motor, this will be the place to fly it.

Saturday will be back on the Point of the Mountain and we will have F3F timers and MOM light system set up for those interested. There will be open fun flying all day on the entire West side of the mountain. Subway will be on the mountain early taking order and delivering them back to the slope for lunch. As always we will be doing a Slope Scale judging contest with static display in the evening. The Banquet dinner will be in the tent that evening and will include burger, hotdogs, sides and plenty to eat for all.

If the F3F and PSS MOM is popular we can continue racing as pilots desire on Sunday. This day is dedicated to Fun Flying at Point of the Mountain. There are no options for lunch so everyone must fend for themselves.

For Monday we will be meeting early and heading out for Francis peak. Or you are welcome to hang around the Point of the mountain for another day of epic sloping. The road to Francis peak does not require 4 wheel drive or a high clearance vehicle but it will have plenty of washboard and lots of dust.

We do encourage everyone to camp on Point of the Mountain. There is no running water but there are restrooms available. Due to fire danger no campfires are permitted.

As always the schedule is weather permitting. If the Wind direction turns north there will be no MOM or F3F available. However, the North winds due offer Dynamic Soaring on the North Ridge but you must hike to get access to this site. Please come prepared with good shoes and plenty of water if you would like to visit our DS site.

Everyone remember to come prepared with clothing. Grantsville site and Point of the Mountain are normally dry and hot but Utah is known for extreme changes in weather. It can get cold and wet on a very short notice. Francis peak is a high alpine location and is above 10,000 ft. We have even seen snow at this site during the days of the event so bring some layers just in case.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

-Spencer-
flytrip is offline Find More Posts by flytrip
Last edited by flytrip; Jul 16, 2012 at 05:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:44 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,063 Posts
Yay!!!!!!......Finally a thread.....

Matin
has bookings...
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
449 Posts
It's in the book guy's, can't wait to see you again.

I'll make a stop at Tri Cities on my way down

Thierry
tiju000 is online now Find More Posts by tiju000
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,443 Posts
Looking forward to it!

Pete in Idaho
-=RCpeterV=- is online now Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:44 AM
Slope addict User
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
449 Posts
Do you thing that post should be a "pin" one so it can stay on top of the list for the rest of the year, well at least till september ....

Thierry
tiju000 is online now Find More Posts by tiju000
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Yeah your right. I request it as a sticky.

Colby
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN View Post
Yay!!!!!!......Finally a thread.....

Matin
has bookings...

I booked my lodging a year and a half ago.....

Ok, it's at my mother-in-law's near Francis Peak.

After Soar Utah I will be continuing south to Southern California for a two week family vacation. We're planning at least 4 trips to the beach for the kids, maybe more. I'd like to fly at least once or twice while I'm down there. Which beaches would be fun for the kids and also have good sloping? I'll be leaving most of my planes in Utah during the vacation because there just isn't room in the mini van, but should have room to bring a couple down.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:43 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
Sounds like fun!! I'm going to try and make this one. Have to bring some Slopers--aero tow scalies--F3B stuff. Everything possible to fly!! Hot liners!! Let's FLY
T
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Look forward to meeting you Tim. I'll bring your old Race M out.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:59 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
I'm with you Tim...Would love to make it!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:16 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,528 Posts
Pretty certain some Canucks with a slope mobil from VI will attend.

Colby, assume there will be a schedule down the Rd

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is offline Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
I land when i CFIT!
USA, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2007
877 Posts
Hey Thomas,
Yes, we are working on the schedule now.
Me or someone else on the planning crew will post it here
When we have it finalized.

Colby
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingodds View Post
I'm with you Tim...Would love to make it!
Let's put together a SoCal car pool!! We did it probably 10 years ago with the ISR Crew!! We might be able to do it again!! It's always good flying up at the Point--and if you take aero-tow planes and electrics--plus even some winch planes--you're guaranteed to get a lot of good flying in over 3 or 4 days!! Lot's of FUN--and if you have family--you can take the week and hit Zion's or Bryce Canyon--or Park City--things to see around Salt Lake!!
FWIW
T
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,142 Posts
I had a great time chasing you and target, up to Utah timmig, don't know about this year going to Washington in May
bluffman is online now Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,924 Posts
Well Utah's not till Sept? I think you'll have time to re-group!!! Get Russ and come on along!!!
T