HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:38 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,992 Posts
Cool
Creating one solid computer out of three!

What's pretty cool is that fact that I like to tinker with computers. Some stuff I do myself and other items, I gladly pay.

Back in December 2011, my cousin did not keep his anti-virus protection that I installed 10 months earlier during 2011 as his DELL computer just did not have enough memory so, he disabled the program (CA Suite available to Brighthouse Customers). Well, as a result, his DELL computer suffered a very ugly virus as the computer did not allow you to access the CD / DVD drives nor did it allow for you to adequately install another browser using the Jump Drive via USB. The Microsoft Internet Explorer was completely disabled and of course the virus did not allow for you to go anywhere.

I took two of his DELL computers and brought them home with me and then, I looked to see what I had on hand and got the best HP Pavilion Desktop with the fastest processor and checked it all out. I then, acquired as much good memory from the DELL and other computers I had with the correct form factor and packed over 1.5 Giga RAM on the mother board.

The Processor was a Intel Dual with 2.3Giga_Hertz speed and 400-Hz front side bus. Since his DVD burners were recent 2009 vintage, I took them off from the DELL and installed them on the HP Pavilion Desktop to assemble a very powerful and fast computer from older technology using Windows-XP 32-bit Home Premium.

His original Hard Drive from the DELL was so infected that I had to wipe Disk using a DOD program and reformat giving my cuz another slave harddrive for his files. Thereby, should the boot-up main disk gets ruin again, his files will be all on the slave instead of the master boot disk.

I had to perform some unheard arrangements within the Hard Drive cage to allow for Master / Slave combination setup because the old ribbon cables only stretch so far and the cage was occupied with the all in one memory card reader.

A few pictures showing the Monster creation.

1.5+ Giga RAM Memory:

Hard Drive setup with custom cage / ribbon arrangement:

Closeup of Hard Drives:

Since the HP Pavilion that I selected had not been powered ON for over 11 months, the resultant Updates (All 54) had to be installed!

My cuz still is using this computer to date and has no issues as I told him that if he takes the Anti Virus Software Off-Line again, he need not call me anymore!

It was a very good project!

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts