SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,846 Posts
New Product
Hobby King - Durafly 70mm DH 100 Vampire

Here's photos of the New Durafly de Havilland DH 100 Vampire Mk.6 from Hobby King. This is my new favorite 70mm foamy EDF jet! I've now flown the aircraft 5 times using an 14.8v 40C 2200mAh battery and I love it. Per the Hobby King description, she can easily handle up to a 3300mAh battery.

The maiden flight was a little tail heavy using the CG from the manual. I immediately landed and moved the battery to where the front edge of the 2200 pack is centered over the nose gear retract motor and the aircraft was a dream to fly. Just like the Hobby King item description states, this aircraft is a glider power off yet moves out nicely at WOT. One of the pilots from my club said, "It floats like a Muliplex Easy Star!" That is does! Another nice surprise...the sound of the fan. You would think someone put a sound card and speakers in this thing. It has cool stock jet noise. The landing gear retracts slow and smooth and has handled all five landings on the Dry Lake here at Edwards AFB, CA. This Vampire is unique EDF jet subject and a lot of fun to fly! She's a keeper!

All the best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Jan 23, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Corrected battery info. Old Age!! :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
Tony, great looking model. Is this with the stock power setup from HK? Are you going to try it on 4s?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Tony, great looking model. Is this with the stock power setup from HK? Are you going to try it on 4s?
All stock! Sorry, yes..I'm flying it on a 4s battery. I'm getting 5 minutes on 4S 2200 and will extend flight times with a 3300.

P.S. If you have to write the type of battery each plane requires inside the aircraft, you either have too many planes or getting old. In my case, yes to both!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by xplaneguy; Jan 23, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
Finland, Finland Proper, Salo
Joined Jan 2009
3 Posts
Very nice little park sized edf. Just one thing...Landing gear seems to retract from outside to inside. IRL that works opposite.
Zuum is offline Find More Posts by Zuum
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:25 AM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
I was so extatic when I saw this bird under the new items lastweek.Definitely going to purchase.I have been looking for an EDF vampire for over a year and gone through every possible website i could get my hands on and finally HK delivers
does anyone know if they will be releasing a SAAF colorscheme?
It shifts in the sky but i"m thinking of maybe adding a higher KV motor.any tips on doing so?
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,846 Posts
I too was excited to see this Vampire from Hobby King! I spent 6 years stationed in England and always enjoyed seeing Vampires fly at UK Airshows. You'll love this EDF jet!

By the way, Durafly and Starmax may be the same company? The fan and wheels from this aircraft look just like those made by Starmax.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:14 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
xplane
Do you have any idea what sort of speed this babe does?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Have just ordered the kit version. Will be putting one of these in it ...

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...3a158742d33bdb

Should be impressive sound and good thrust
dro56595@bigpo is online now Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
DRO
That is mental!!!!!!!!! jees tthat will be a vampire out of hell!!!
Please post video of that badboy in there.It's a little pricey for me,but i was thinking of getting an alloy fan unit.ant suggestions for a less expensive alloy fan that will deliver stupid power aswell?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
DRO
That is mental!!!!!!!!! jees tthat will be a vampire out of hell!!!
Please post video of that badboy in there.It's a little pricey for me,but i was thinking of getting an alloy fan unit.ant suggestions for a less expensive alloy fan that will deliver stupid power aswell?
Yes, I am a bit mental putting in a power system that's four times the cost of the airframe!!! - but it should be VERY nice

Have just ordered so it will probably be a while before the airframe and power plant arrive. Will post build pics and flying video as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Dan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:45 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
dro and there i was thinking i'm mental when it comes to some of my powerplants
but damn good on ya for it.i'm just worried on how accesible the motor mount area is?as i want to order the pnp kit cus of the retracts....and then just a higher kv motor or possibly replace the whole system with an alloy unit.$200.00 is just abit stiff foe me.it'll work out to a $500.00 plane then

Xplane having got one already can you please shed some light on how accessible they motor area is?or would one have to cut the foam?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:01 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
It is NOT made by Starmax! It's an in-house design, it was my concept...so I should know, I really need to clear this up....it's a Durafly model......Nice photo's, lovely to see you are enjoying it so much.

The fancover is removable to answer your question chop stix.

Cheers - Scott
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
It is NOT made by Starmax! It's an in-house design, it was my concept...so I should know, I really need to clear this up....it's a Durafly model......Nice photo's, lovely to see you are enjoying it so much.

Cheers - Scott
Scott,

Is it possible to post some more detailed photos and design descriptions e.g. any reinforcing in the wings or other items that the audience here would find interesting?

Thanks,

Dan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:54 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
From home? Not really, all photo's are archived at work, the best of which you can see on the website, there is also another large thread going on the Vampire in the Electric Warbirds section. Not really sure what people would find interesting that isn't already on the website or contained in other threads!?
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post

Cheers - Scott
thanx for clearing that up Scott.look it's an awsome looking model and as I said earlier I have searched my fingers blind to try find an EDF Vampire.
yes please as DRO asked.I would also like to know about reinforcing in the wings ect.with wanting to put an alloy fan in.Im thinking of the HK 68mm alloy fan.
any advise regarding that fan?
Scott did you guys do any speed readings while testing?

Regards