HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
Cool
Can one man's junk be another man's treasure ??? K&B .61 restoration.....

Hi all, I purchased a K&B .61 from a Forum member here, and sad to say I was a little more than disappointed with my purchase as it was advertised as having a "slight flaw that won't affect the performance of the engine". I agreed with the seller to a 50% refund instead of sending this lump back to the seller. I probably would of had to send it as Hazardous Waste ! So, I gutted it and then found a used and tired K&B .61 that had compression problems. I used the case from the second engine and transplanted everything into that from the turd engine, the internal parts were actually in pretty decent shape. So, can one's man garbage be another man's treasure ???
Here's the before pic of my Forum purchased K&B .61 with a "slight flaw", yeah, right:

Here's the after pics with everything from the junker switched over to a used case that I did a little restoration on, what do you guys think of her now ???:

shooboy is online now Find More Posts by shooboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
OOPS ! Looks like I missed a little baked on castor between the fins on the head..... May have to fix that, Shoo
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Holy cow! It looks new again. Nice job.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,679 Posts
That is a great job on your restoration there. It looks new.
Nice going.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,233 Posts
Did the early .61s come with Perry carbs? Is the Perry venturi small enough to run it without a pump? I've never had a K&B .61, but have several 7.5s with pumps and big Perry carbs, intended for ducted fan use prior to K&B's introducing their rear rotor D/F engine.

What did the good case and head look like before you cleaned it up?

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.
I don't know if the K&B's ever came with Perry carbs, the second engine I bought had it on it so that's what I used. I actually used the head from the first engine, and the case from the second. I should have taken a picture of the second engine case. It was in okay shape, I stripped it down completely and then bead blasted it. The head from the second engine was quite carboned up, everything seemed very dry and the ring was stuck and broke easily when I tried to remove it, probably the reason for the poor compression on the second engine. Thanks again, Shoo
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:03 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
the .61 originally had the old "box" style carb with the L shaped main needle. the venturi was also rather large. i had two of them. i still have a complete carb from one of the old .61s i had. Randy, if you dont want to use the perry carb the old box carb is actually pretty good. the one that came with the .65 sportster will also fit.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,646 Posts
Have you checked out MECOA for parts? The .61 K&B is still made. They also have a forum to discuss issues with the K&B and other engines they sell. I am sure you can get carb information from them too.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip01 View Post
Have you checked out MECOA for parts? The .61 K&B is still made. They also have a forum to discuss issues with the K&B and other engines they sell. I am sure you can get carb information from them too.
Hey Chip, I have been to the Mecoa site, thanks. I have owned a few Mecoa engines also, two .40's and a .46. They seem to be very well made. I traded the 46 to a friend that put it in one of his planes and it is an absolute screamer with unlimited vertical performance. Thanks again, Shoo
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,847 Posts
Engine

K&B .61 looks like you did a great job. I bought a what was sold as new OS FP-.40 on RCU. Thing was run and compression is not what a new FP-.40 should be. Some guys claim anything to sell. I needed a New engine as it is going into a Sports class UC Carrier plane. So what I have now is a clean parts engine. Beware of engine is a friends that they are helping out. Another cute trick is sellers stripping engine. Glow plug/ prop washer/nut/ pressure fitting on muffler/ muffler bolts. Some guys on forum are great/ others beware!!
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Last edited by dankar04; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: updated