SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,142 Posts
Yes & No - When charging the lipo pack for the DX8 the charging system will terminate the charge when the pack reaches full. But then follow Lipo Charging Safety Recommendations you should never charge unattended so your comment of Charge and forget it deal really isn't good practice.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:18 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Yes & No - When charging the lipo pack for the DX8 the charging system will terminate the charge when the pack reaches full. But then follow Lipo Charging Safety Recommendations you should never charge unattended so your comment of Charge and forget it deal really isn't good practice.
Point taken...though you'd hope that the charging was at least as safe as any other consumer electronic device (cell phone, lap top, etc) that used LiPos, as opposed to charging a flight pack with a battery charger.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:37 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,463 Posts
TO KINGSFLYER

I checked this out and then got sidetracked and never posted.
If you are using the throttle up 25% or more to start your timer it stops timing when you lower the throttle back below 25%. There is a click sound to let you know this has happened. When you bring the throttle back up the timer resumes where it last stopped. I hope that answers your question. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
TO KINGSFLYER

I checked this out and then got sidetracked and never posted.
If you are using the throttle up 25% or more to start your timer it stops timing when you lower the throttle back below 25%. There is a click sound to let you know this has happened. When you bring the throttle back up the timer resumes where it last stopped. I hope that answers your question. Mike Heer
you can set it so its starts the first time only and stays running even if lowered under 25% again or for e power models have it stop when it is lowered under 25%
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I would love to know if Spektrum were going to revamp the old DX6I also ???
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Point taken...though you'd hope that the charging was at least as safe as any other consumer electronic device (cell phone, lap top, etc) that used LiPos, as opposed to charging a flight pack with a battery charger.
Since the charge rate is only 200mah it is highly unlikely that the LIPOs would suffer a catastrophic failure (barring anything extraordinary). Besides, it is rather unreasonable to expect one not to leave the radio unattended for 20 hours (the time required to fully charge the LIPO). Much of the warning verbiage is just to mitigate any potential liability. It does seem odd that these new radios do not support any form of fast charging (all my other consumer electronic devices do). A moderate 1A charge rate would have yielded at 4hour charge time when using the LIPO (two hours for the NiMH).

If you want charge and forget simplicity, the LIPO is really your only option. The NiMH requires "special" attention.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
Smart charging systems have been around since the late 90s. They were specifically designed to allow different types of battery to be charged correctly from the same charger, why is it that Spektrum chooses not to use this technique.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:33 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
I like to land with a little power on to make the prop act like an airbrake. With the throttle timer beeper, I know exactly when the motor starts for this purpose, without guessing.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heer View Post
If you are using the throttle up 25% or more to start your timer it stops timing when you lower the throttle back below 25%. There is a click sound to let you know this has happened. Mike Heer
Thanks Mike. That's exactly what I was hoping would happen. That makes this TX a great choice for electric powered planes.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:33 AM
Dont be a gashole fly electric
Chaplin,Ct.
Joined Nov 2005
91 Posts
I really like my DX7S alot....My next step is to get the lip battery.
Dave Bee is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bee
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
The lipo battery could be better because of the higher capacity for its size but I haven't seen enough benefits in using lipo batts in Tx's to switch over to them. For now I'll be sticking with NiMh packs in my Tx. As long as you have a decent computer charger, using NiMh should not be a problem. I don't waste any time using the included trickle chargers that come with the Tx's.
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:12 PM
We Do It With FRQZ
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2009
2,138 Posts
noted
dkintx is offline Find More Posts by dkintx
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:40 PM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
Smart charging systems have been around since the late 90s. They were specifically designed to allow different types of battery to be charged correctly from the same charger, why is it that Spektrum chooses not to use this technique.

A.
Cut, strip, solder, shrink ....... solved.
phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:23 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,928 Posts
On the timer, the default setting for start and stop is 25% but you can set it wherever you want. I like mine to come in a little lower, so have it set at 17 %.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:53 AM
Russian Federation, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Yekaterinburg
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
good
moroz is offline Find More Posts by moroz