SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:48 PM
Additcted to high wings
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2011
183 Posts
Yep that's a good deal. I would have jumped on that too. I am trying to find a buddy of mine in the Peoria Indiana area a good used trainer setup like that. Craigslist is empty in his area right now. The closest thing to him is St Louis and that's over a 2 hour drive for him. I told him tojust hang on and we would find him something.

Good deal though... fly the wings off of that thing!
Midnite_rider is offline Find More Posts by Midnite_rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:03 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
hah ya. my tower trainer way back in the day would bounce like crazy regardless of how it came down. life was tough. 20*350' paved runway ontop of a hill with no runoff. perpetual wind/crosswinds year round from any angle. trainers were not good planes at that field LoL! they didn't come down & when they did you had to be on target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
By the scraping on the head of the engine in the plane, looks like it's gone in head first before and the LG looks like Toysrme type landings because they're kinda splayed out.
i rarely do that. i splay my yak all the time, but if you've ever flown a cz-yak you'd know you can nearly collapse the stock gear almost to the mid mounted wing with finger pressure lol
it was unintentional... one of the stock digital aileron servos failed... i can't help that...
FPV Crash Carbon-Z Yak-54 (0 min 12 sec)

and i don't land trainers. i hit them into the ground.

these were terrible. i NEVER land LOS on FPV planes (i dont believe in FPV landings or takeoffs) so i did it anyways. this was the first day with the goprohero2 i got for christmas. found it hard to judge the altitude on the wide angle of the gopro lens vs the 90* field of view i normally fly on. it's also not my seniorita... i dont fly it... ever... maybe 5 times in 15 years? they're trainers. ew god they float so bad. (great trainers tho). i jsut thought i'd throw the gopro & vtx on it's back (it was the only plane i had ready to go that particular day that required no modding to mount anything too, just strap it down with rubber bands & the CG is very non-critical) i had just swapped it from an old glow engine to an eflight power 10. the nose gear always collapses and it's very bouncy. (it was my father's plane & he never graduated from it. very rough on his landings)

GoPro Hero 2 FPV SIG Seniorita (8 min 3 sec)
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Last edited by Toysrme; Feb 08, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Fuel burners ...

... ah, yes! There's nothing quite like the smell of burnt castor oil in the crisp morning air!

I agree with whoever told you to add some castor oil to your fuel, especially on the earlier type engines, with steel cylinder & pistons. ABS (later) type engines not as much.

Have fun, I'm sure you will!

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Guys,

Sorry there is no report as of yet. I still need to get a colorado state park pass (flying field is in the state park and admission is cheaper to get a year pass), join the club and join the AMA. Hoping to do all that in the next 2 weeks though. Be patient! I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Also, starting a Tomboy build log over in the vintage planes area, if anyone is interested. Will be my first scratch build.

MB out.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Ok guys, sorry for the long wait. I recently got an AMA membership and submitted an application to one of the local clubs. Im hoping to fly this Saturday, providing I can get everything ready.

I have installed my receiver in the plane. Hopefully a spektrum AR6000 will be big enough (range wise? I dont really have any idea).

Next I attempted to charge the on board battery in the plane. I know from the guy that I purchased the plane from that the battery is a NiCad...but thats about it. I have never charged a nicad battery before and am not totally sure how to do it. This is the charger I have http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chdup.html so I am sure it will charge the batteries, however, the instruction manual is weak at best. The battery is wrapped in a protective covering and held in place in the plane by a piece of wood that is glued in. I really dont want to have to disassemble the plane to know what the battery is.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how to charge this battery? Is it going to be necessary to remove it to find out the specs on the battery?

Thanks.
MB
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Even if the guy told you what battery it is, me personally, I'd unwrap it and look at it. I'd want to know what the battery was for sure and what mah it was. You probably won't damage it as long as you charge it slow but I wouldn't want to risk my plane or my safety. You may be able to tug enough of the foam out of the way to see some markings without having to completely remove it. Even if you have to cut that piece of wood out, it won't take but a little epoxy or CA, CA being the easiest, to stick it back in. It's not like a firewall, just something to keep it from shifting around will hold it fine. Not like you're going to be going ape with your first trainer and sling a battery loose. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
Even if the guy told you what battery it is, me personally, I'd unwrap it and look at it. I'd want to know what the battery was for sure and what mah it was. You probably won't damage it as long as you charge it slow but I wouldn't want to risk my plane or my safety. You may be able to tug enough of the foam out of the way to see some markings without having to completely remove it. Even if you have to cut that piece of wood out, it won't take but a little epoxy or CA, CA being the easiest, to stick it back in. It's not like a firewall, just something to keep it from shifting around will hold it fine. Not like you're going to be going ape with your first trainer and sling a battery loose. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!
**sigh**....I suppose you are right. I would hate to wreck the plane because I was too lazy to properly look at the battery. I guess this is the problem with not putting the plane together yourself, you dont really know much about it other than what is obvious. Ill pull the battery out and look at it and throw a put up in the battery forum on charging help.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:54 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Finally an Update

So I got a new Rx battery for my plane today and got it charged. There was just enough time to get to the field. I am new to this field so I introduced myself and found someone to instruct me. He helped me go through the plane and we got the engine started and he flew it around for a few minutes and deemed it air worthy. I got to the field too late to buddy box though as my new instructor was just on his way out. Im excited though and headed back to the field tomorrow and hopefully I can get in lots of flying! Ill try to get some pictures too.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Awesome Bomber! Now you know the plane works and you can get down to business! Congratulations. Let us know how it goes Sunday.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
So got it in the air today. Flew a few patterns around the field and worked on turns and making the plane go where I want. Then wind picked up...upwards of 30 mph so everyone pretty much packed it up. My trainer blew off the flight stand and broke the left horizontal stab. Its not a serious break...just some cracked wood and torn covering. Im assuming I need to cut the covering off to repair it and the recover, correct?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbomber View Post
So got it in the air today. Flew a few patterns around the field and worked on turns and making the plane go where I want. Then wind picked up...upwards of 30 mph so everyone pretty much packed it up. My trainer blew off the flight stand and broke the left horizontal stab. Its not a serious break...just some cracked wood and torn covering. Im assuming I need to cut the covering off to repair it and the recover, correct?
Dang, 30mph! What was the wind when you started? Last time I went to the field to try to fly my first glow powered plane for only the 3rd time, it was steady 15-20mph and I deemed it to iffy for myself, even though the plane probably could have dealt with it, it was just too scary for me.

Are the tail feathers on your trainer just sold balsa sheets? You can probably get by just CA'ing the crack and recovering it yeah but it might not be flat anymore.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
The wind was pretty low when I first started. I would so no more than 10 mph. The tail feathers are a balsa frame with ribs in the middle and then covered.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Broken

here are some photos of the break. Can someone please give me advice on how to repair this?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,081 Posts
Take some thick ca and popsickle sticks and sand down the popsickle sticks so they are the same hight as everything else and glue them to all the braces that broke to strengthed it. Then as far as the covering goes, you can do bunch of packing tape or get a roll of covering and an iorn.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Take some thick ca and popsickle sticks and sand down the popsickle sticks so they are the same hight as everything else and glue them to all the braces that broke to strengthed it. Then as far as the covering goes, you can do bunch of packing tape or get a roll of covering and an iorn.
None of the braces broke, just the leading and trailing edge.