HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:43 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Discussion
FASST compatible Receivers - What's your experience

I have found varied posts and threads with bits and pieces about specific brands or models but no central discussion that talks about them all, so let's start one.

We are talking about receivers that claim to be compatible with Futaba FASST radio system. Examples would be ORANGE and FRSKY.

I am not talking about counterfits. I am talking about companies that seem to have created compatibles.

Here are my questions, they may also be your questions.

Which make and models do you have?

How long have you been using them?

Which radio do you use with these receivers?

What sort of aircraft are you flying?

Experience - good or bad, including glitches, crashes, customer service. If you love'em, say so. If you hate 'em, say so and why.

In the 72 MHz FM world we were used to having FM/PPM receivers from a wide variety of suppliers that would work with a wide variety of radios. As we went to 2.4 we had clear brand lock-in. These receivers may offer that flexibility to have receivers from multiple sources again.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
The FRSky range of FASST compatible receivers have a good reputation. AFAIK the Orange FASST receiver is a re-badged FRSky TRR8.
I have TFR8S TFR7 and TFR4 receivers so far all have worked perfectly.

I just looked at the FRSKy web site and there's now 7 FASST receivers in the range.

Some of these receivers require the TX fail safe to be disabled as it interferes with the onboard RX failsafe.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=18

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
If you cannot afford expensive Futaba receiver and must use Chinese clone,
you should have bought Chinese radio, such as Turnigy 9X, in the first place.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
Dead horse time again!!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:02 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyOne View Post
The FRSky range of FASST compatible receivers have a good reputation. AFAIK the Orange FASST receiver is a re-badged FRSky TRR8.
I have TFR8S TFR7 and TFR4 receivers so far all have worked perfectly.

I just looked at the FRSKy web site and there's now 7 FASST receivers in the range.

Some of these receivers require the TX fail safe to be disabled as it interferes with the onboard RX failsafe.

http://www.frsky-rc.com/Products.asp?BigClassID=18

A.
And more to come, including a S-Bus compatible receiver and... SERVOS !
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:28 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I have found varied posts and threads with bits and pieces about specific brands or models but no central discussion that talks about them all, so let's start one.

We are talking about receivers that claim to be compatible with Futaba FASST radio system. Examples would be ORANGE and FRSKY.

I am not talking about counterfits. I am talking about companies that seem to have created compatibles.

Here are my questions, they may also be your questions.

Which make and models do you have?

How long have you been using them?

Which radio do you use with these receivers?

What sort of aircraft are you flying?

Experience - good or bad, including glitches, crashes, customer service. If you love'em, say so. If you hate 'em, say so and why.

In the 72 MHz FM world we were used to having FM/PPM receivers from a wide variety of suppliers that would work with a wide variety of radios. As we went to 2.4 we had clear brand lock-in. These receivers may offer that flexibility to have receivers from multiple sources again.
Aeajr,
I have been using several of the 8 channel ORANGE FASST receivers for almost 2 years now with a Futaba 7C, 10CG and a TM-7 module for the older radios and have never had so much as a glitch or jitter. As a matter of fact I cannot tell the difference in performance and range between these Orange receivers and my Futaba 617's that I have. Because of my using them without any problems several of my flying club buddies also started using them this past summer without any problems. I've been using them in .60 sized sport planes up to 1.20 sized Warbirds.

As for John Kim please disregard his post! Don't know where he gets off telling people what they should buy!!
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:29 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Dead horse time again!!!
+1 Andy!!
crazy8s is offline Find More Posts by crazy8s
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
If you cannot afford expensive Futaba receiver and must use Chinese clone,
you should have bought Chinese radio, such as Turnigy 9X, in the first place.
So, you are suggesting I should sell my two Futaba 9C supers and my FASST TM7 module and my 3 Futaba FASST receivers in order to buy a Turnigy 9X? What would be the benefit of doing that? That seems to be a very odd suggestion.

Would you have said the same thing when you learned that i have Futaba, Hitec, GWS and Berg 72 MHz receivers that I use with my two Futaba 9C super radios?

How about the fact that I also use Spektrum receivers with my Futaba 9C Supers.

Nothing unusual here. We have been mixing brands for decades. Where have you been?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Dead horse time again!!!
+2 Andy!!
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:21 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
I have 10 Orange FASST, 6 FrSky TFR6 and one TFR8S.

4 of the Orange were from the first batch on HK so they are fairly old the others I bought soon after expecting Futaba to take legal action. Before use, all of these were "burnt in" on the bench with a full load of servos for over an hour without any failures. In use they have been faultless and I have taken planes to the limit of my vision and then pointed the antenna at the plane without loss of signal.

The TFR6 are newer acquisitions from last year and again have been faultless in use. At just over half the size of the 617, a neat little full range 6ch Rx for those awkward little places.

All flown with 6EX, 7C and 8FGS, except for the TFR8S which has only been used to test the 14ch of the 8FGS.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
Rob,

I don't think Futaba have a case against FRSky as the TFR range of receivers aren't copies of their design. I think, if anything, they promote sales of Futaba's FASST transmitters by allowing flyers to build up or convert their fleet at reasonable cost.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
Joined Mar 2000
829 Posts
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange. Then you will be up to the times. On second thought, I will also order another 9x and send it to you as part of the trade.
Philipp is offline Find More Posts by Philipp
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
OK, back to our regularly scheduled research.

I have heard about Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any other FASST compatible receivers?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I have heard about Orange, FrSky and Corona. Are there any other FASST compatible receivers?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange.
about John Kim looks like another chinese living in the States... it's the same idiot which has recommend hundred times the CRAP 9X and the same which recOmmends 2S batts to replace 9.6V packS... LMAO please do not feed that troll any more http://www.rcgroups.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1552422
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:49 AM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
Yeah, aeajr you should get rid of your 9C Supers quick. Tell you what, I'll send you my brand new Turnigy 9X in exchange. Then you will be up to the times. On second thought, I will also order another 9x and send it to you as part of the trade.
That is a good deal. Grab it.

Or, aeajr can do it himself. Sell all Futaba radios and buy Turnigy 9X.
With money from selling two Futaba 9Cs and receivers, he can buy two Turnigy and two dozen receivers, still with a lot of money left over, enough money left to buy a few airplanes.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim