SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,294 Posts
Discussion
Latex paint?

I've painted a couple of planes using Tamiya rattle cans, but I've heard of people using latex house paint as well. Most of my stuff is smaller, at the moment I'm working on a foamy EDF which I want to paint. My question is regarding using latex paint for this sort of job. When sprayed on, is latex paint about the same weight as rattle can paint? I know that painting will add weight, but I don't want to go with latex if it's noticably heavier. I think I'll need to thin it for using in my spray gun, do I just use water to thin it, or something else.

Any other tips for a first time latex user?

Thanks,
Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:21 AM
SLC, Ut
Joined Apr 2010
118 Posts
There's a nice write up of the latex application on Roy Vaillencourt's website. Basically, you thin the latex with windshield washer fluid until the paint is the consistency of milk. It's pretty light weight when dry. There's a learning curve to this stuff but I've come to love using it.
yel914 is offline Find More Posts by yel914
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,561 Posts
I would think that latex would add too much weight to a foamy. Maybe craft paint would be a better alternative.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,010 Posts
I'm sure Tom is right if you're thinking about using "house" latex paint unthinned but as someone who uses water based paint (Latex) a lot I can say done correctly, it adds very little weight. The paint I use I get from WalMart in the crafts section. It is under the Apple Barrel brand name and comes in 8oz bottles. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-Barr...-8-oz/17300143

Michaels also carries it. http://www.michaels.com/New-Craft-Pa...-craftpainting

Thin it about 35-50% and spray or paint it on. The Yellow covers the best. To get the best results, thin some lightweight spackle and paint that one and sand it off to fill all the little cracks. I follow this with a quick coat of Polycrylic varnish and then the sprayed latex paint.

Some use the non-ammonia glass cleaner and some use windshield wiper fluid to thin the paint. Experiment a bit and choose your favorite.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I would think that latex would add too much weight to a foamy. Maybe craft paint would be a better alternative.
This is latex applied with a brush. Any weight gain is minimal and this thing flies like a scalded dog.

Regards
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, OH, Painesville
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
A quick note after reading lot about this paint vs that paint I use acrylic craft paint 50\50
with airbrush and I am very please with results finish is flat to satin looks great.three colors,
If you can borrow or purchase one they are very easy to use little practice trial error you'll be an expert in no time.as they say JUST DO IT!
Good Luck
Duke2448 is offline Find More Posts by Duke2448
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, OH, Painesville
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
SORRY I forgot the most important element of this endeavor WATER 50\50 also a hair dryer on med 12" or more away (speeds up drying time)

Thanks Joe
Duke2448 is offline Find More Posts by Duke2448
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:07 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiusedtoBe View Post
This is latex applied with a brush. Any weight gain is minimal and this thing flies like a scalded dog.

Regards
Alan
Beautiful weathering effects! What brand latex paint did you use and did you thin it? Also, did you seal your weathering effects with any sealer as you progressed and if so what brand? Thanks man, I used to be into fine scale models, primarily aircraft but I have never worked on foam planes until now. Don't want to melt my plane. Thanks in advance.
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 619SixFour View Post
Beautiful weathering effects! What brand latex paint did you use and did you thin it? Also, did you seal your weathering effects with any sealer as you progressed and if so what brand? Thanks man, I used to be into fine scale models, primarily aircraft but I have never worked on foam planes until now. Don't want to melt my plane. Thanks in advance.
Its just home depot samples matched to model masters RAF Green and RAF Dark Earth. I did lighten up the brown because I thought it was too dark. I did not thin the paint at all its brush painted on but you would not know from looking at it. I did not weigh it before and after but any weight gain was minimal. There were no differences in the flight characteristics that I could discern.

As for the weathering, I'm new to that. This was my first effort and I used an unorthodox approach. I took an old bottle of acrylic thinner that was mostly paint sludge and painted the panel lines etc and then wiped it back with toilet paper in the wind flow direction. Worked pretty well and actually toned down the overall paint as well. You can't leave it on the surface long or it will take off the latex so I had to do small sections at a time. The gun smears are hobby store weathering stuff. (powder in various colors/ not sure of the brand) I did not topcoat the plane at all but you could spray a matte coat over I suppose.

If you have weathered scale models I'm sure you can do better. I would not worry about melting the foam. EPS is very resistant unlike EPS (beer cooler foam). Here is a photo after paint but before weathering and decals.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
291 Posts
Thanks Bro!
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour