HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:51 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
I'm trying to calculate wind loading, but the specs on wing area is somewhat confusing:

Spec.
Material: Pre-covered Balsa/Ply
Wing Span: 1600mm
Length: 1200mm
Flying Weight: 1900g~2000g
Wing area: 44~47g dm/2
Wing Area: 42.8g dm/2
4 Channel (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder)

what is correct for the wing area?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:27 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,027 Posts
Not having to wing to measure and calculate the area I can only offer a guess. I would say based on other cubs of similar size, the area listed at 42.8 is close but will probably be more like 43.(something).
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, TX, Pharr
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Got my cub in the mail today. Look forward to building it, but need to take care of some other projects in the shop before I start this one.
pilot815 is offline Find More Posts by pilot815
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
I'm trying to calculate wind loading, but the specs on wing area is somewhat confusing:

Spec.
Material: Pre-covered Balsa/Ply
Wing Span: 1600mm
Length: 1200mm
Flying Weight: 1900g~2000g
Wing area: 44~47g dm/2
Wing Area: 42.8g dm/2
4 Channel (throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder)

what is correct for the wing area?
Ok. I kinda answered my own question, but I looked at the box, and wing area is 42.8 dm/2, and the wing loadijng is 44-47g dm2. Obviously HK's site just has a misprint.

I don't really see how they can build this plane up and be have an AUW of 1900g-2000g though
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,418 Posts
Got mine, but one of them has a cracked cowl, not sure how I'm going to deal with hobbyking on this, I sent an email, but no responce
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,027 Posts
If they are blowing these out of inventory chances are they don't have parts for them.................if they ever had parts for them. Just glue it then get some lightweight glass cloth and epoxy and lay it on the inside. Sand,fill in the crack, sand prime and paint it.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, TX, Universal City
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
My cub

hey guys I beat you getting this bird but at highger cost , I ordered mine before the price drop but very happy with the product I decided to get another one for $50 to my suprise I got the 180 pro heli for free so not a bad thing, My set up Hk 15138 standar servos, a G15 810kv with a 13x6 wood turnigy prop,70A. Detrum ESC(very good ESC for the money have it on all my planes no issues) and I'm using 3300mAh 3s sky lipo batts,I maiden last weekend (sorry no video)my set up its ok but it lacks on power (if you want to do more aerobats.) you can do loops ok but the 35-48 size is too small for this bird I did try to run the same set up with a 2650 mAh 4s but the motor gets hot(not burning hot but more hot than the 3s set up) whats your advise as runing the g15 with my 4s set up. here are some pics btw I did replace the landing gear with the 25e super cub it make look this plane a lot better and you can land on grass with no issues.
UCPILOT110 is offline Find More Posts by UCPILOT110
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:17 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCPILOT110 View Post
hey guys I beat you getting this bird but at highger cost , I ordered mine before the price drop but very happy with the product I decided to get another one for $50 to my suprise I got the 180 pro heli for free so not a bad thing, My set up Hk 15138 standar servos, a G15 810kv with a 13x6 wood turnigy prop,70A. Detrum ESC(very good ESC for the money have it on all my planes no issues) and I'm using 3300mAh 3s sky lipo batts
what's your AUW?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCPILOT110 View Post
hey guys I beat you getting this bird but at highger cost , I ordered mine before the price drop but very happy with the product I decided to get another one for $50 to my suprise I got the 180 pro heli for free so not a bad thing, My set up Hk 15138 standar servos, a G15 810kv with a 13x6 wood turnigy prop,70A. Detrum ESC(very good ESC for the money have it on all my planes no issues) and I'm using 3300mAh 3s sky lipo batts,I maiden last weekend (sorry no video)my set up its ok but it lacks on power (if you want to do more aerobats.) you can do loops ok but the 35-48 size is too small for this bird I did try to run the same set up with a 2650 mAh 4s but the motor gets hot(not burning hot but more hot than the 3s set up) whats your advise as runing the g15 with my 4s set up. here are some pics btw I did replace the landing gear with the 25e super cub it make look this plane a lot better and you can land on grass with no issues.
Looks great, nice job on the build, I do think I have to get those landing gears, what tires are you using?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:19 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janole View Post
Got mine, but one of them has a cracked cowl, not sure how I'm going to deal with hobbyking on this, I sent an email, but no responce
Hobbyking don't care, your on your own on this one. Actually that's what I here about all there stuff. If anybody has had good experience with there customer service it would be interesting to hear.

Here is your new cowl. http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...739c74c75832a4
i would tape the broken one for now and make sure you like it before spending money on it.

Here is my beefed up landing gear and progress as of Sunday. Also it balances perfect at 70mm behind leading edge with 4s 5000 battery and .46 motor. I have heard it is best to balance these a bit on the nose heavy side. And from flying the 1.8 meter version I believe it.

Good luck and have fun. I will try to maiden and video tomorrow afternoon.
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,418 Posts
Nice job on the landing gear, I don't have a tig welder, so I thought I'd wrapped the joints with thin wire and epoxy them. I like them painted white

I think your right, no point spending more money until I know I like the way it flys
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,027 Posts
Well of course it won't have power to do much of anything but barely fly straight. You have a "15" size motor on a "25" size plane. If you are running a 13" prop on the 15 using 4 cells it will burn up....that's too much prop for that voltage. An 11" on the 15 with 4 cells is about the max....maybe a low pitch 12" . Even then the thrust will be slightly more than the planes weight but you will be loosing some low end torque. You are going to need a little bigger motor.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
Im using the stock tires I just paint them silver color, the landing makes a big difference is more strong if you do the mod I recomend to beef up the inside with plywood strips right where the screws attach I did not use blind nuts as the wood is very thin.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Well of course it won't have power to do much of anything but barely fly straight. You have a "15" size motor on a "25" size plane. If you are running a 13" prop on the 15 using 4 cells it will burn up....that's too much prop for that voltage. An 11" on the 15 with 4 cells is about the max....maybe a low pitch 12" . Even then the thrust will be slightly more than the planes weight but you will be loosing some low end torque. You are going to need a little bigger motor.

Im thinking of using the eflite 46 but for the money Im leaning to the g32 or 46 maybe?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
what's your AUW?

with all the gear Im close to 5~6 pounds