SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:48 AM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
378 Posts
Got mine yesterday, finally. Wasn't I the first one to order?

Anyway I would agree about the weak landing gear. I'm going to try beefing the original one up and see how that goes.

Found this in my goody cabinet from a build that never happened. 3648-850 Turnigy

Have to turn the can to mount it.
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
A couple of you mentioned that you ordered two planes under one order because the extra shipping was cheap. I thought I read somewhere that HK would only let you order one plane per order. If you successfully get both planes on one order, let us know.
Thanks!

I have one of these coming and a couple of the really cheap 4X5000 hard case packs. Hoping to put floats on it, so I want to build light.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
I have 2 coming tomorrow, tracking shows a 25lbs package from UPS in route
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:51 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityking View Post
Got mine yesterday, finally. Wasn't I the first one to order?

Anyway I would agree about the weak landing gear. I'm going to try beefing the original one up and see how that goes.

Found this in my goody cabinet from a build that never happened. 3648-850 Turnigy

Have to turn the can to mount it.
I'm thinking of beefing mine up as well. Post up some pix of your mods.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:04 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
A couple of you mentioned that you ordered two planes under one order because the extra shipping was cheap. I thought I read somewhere that HK would only let you order one plane per order. If you successfully get both planes on one order, let us know.
Thanks!

I have one of these coming and a couple of the really cheap 4X5000 hard case packs. Hoping to put floats on it, so I want to build light.
I am living at California. I ordered the cub and the cl-450 together, before I pay for it, I even put a 1/16 truck in the cart for a test, and check out, the total shipping was still $40. so the combine shipping works for me.
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,023 Posts
You are paying for the box/weight so you should fill it up to the limit with stuff before you checkout.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
You are paying for the box/weight so you should fill it up to the limit with stuff before you checkout.
LOL! Fill it up! That's HK's plan.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
Thanks!

That's products from China. Regulations are weird over there about large and heavy packages. And lipo's.
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,182 Posts
same plane , different color??

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmp-clipp...660mm-kit.html
chas650r is offline Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
not sure, but the nitroplanes' price is much higher. they charged addtional shipping fee and tax.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrplin View Post
not sure, but the nitroplanes' price is much higher. they charged addtional shipping fee and tax.
with shipping and tax, nitro is about $23 more than HK.

and the margin is so small because HK bloats the shipping to $35, whereas nitro's shipping is $15...but nitro is in calif so they are collecting tax on top of that. If there was no tax collection the difference would only be $16.

You would really be on top if you ordered 2 or more airframes from HK...then the shipping becomes the same at nitro. So you see folks...HK's strategy...Buy more, Buy more...Fill up your cart!

But heck, I'm saving $23, and who'd give you $23 for free...so kudos to HK!
Last edited by rcalldaylong; Jan 30, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
764 Posts
I filled the cart with two big planes, and the shipping even outed, around $19 shipping for each. Still cheaper than NP.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,838 Posts
I just unboxed my cub and weight it.

Total weight of airframe+all accessories (all mounts, screws, wheels...etc) is 1581 grams.

I weight all my electronics, 3000mah Lipo, 4 servo, motor, ESC, external Bec, rx, and that came out to 547 grams. Airframe+electronics total 2128 grams.

As long as I can get CG forward enough, I'm sure I can get it under 2200 grams or slightly under 5 lbs. It should be a nice floater.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:23 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
Similar and certainly the same factory, good build thread on this at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1344648&page=5
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
got mine in today, it was shipped from just north of here, so it was pretty quick.

Yes, the landing gear looks weak, going to toss it anyway for floats. That being said, it's a wonderfull plane for the price. Balsa, ply, and shrink covering looks very nice. Can't buy a foam plane anywhere near this size for the price. I have only a couple of wrinkles in the horiz stab where the hinges go. The wing is almost fully sheeted on the bottom, half on the top. It's pretty straight, which is nice since there would be no straightening it if it wasn't. The airfoil is sort of flat bottomed, and a bit thin compared to a lot of planes I have flown. Looks fine from the flying video though.

The decals are done well too, no way I could get them on this nice and bubble free.

I will go through the motor mount to check joints, but wow, compared to a few years ago, this is very nice. It's hard to see kit building when I can buy ARF's like this.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy