HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
WoW! HobbyKing USA warehouse is packing and shipping. It looks like only the HK warehouse is out.

Can't wait! According to tracking, my cub is already shipped and due to arrive this Friday!
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Allday, you weak little man! I would have too that's why I started the post! I figured I could get others to join in my habitual spending fault.

And just to get the thread back on track:

So I discovered at the bottom of their home page this was a Twitter special that was supposed to be for 6 hrs. Apparently everybody went on vacation and forgot to flip the switch back!

Now where did I put that 36mm motor!
gravityking is online now Find More Posts by gravityking
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityking View Post
Allday, you weak little man! I would have too that's why I started the post! I figured I could get others to join in my habitual spending fault.

And just to get the thread back on track:

So I discovered at the bottom of their home page this was a Twitter special that was supposed to be for 6 hrs. Apparently everybody went on vacation and forgot to flip the switch back!

Now where did I put that 36mm motor!
Yea...I hate you! I wasn't planning on buying another plane for a while. But dang...I couldn't sleep all night last night...thinking about it too much...and I finally caved in at 3am and bought it....LOL!

Awesome on the twitter thing...and thanks for posting this...best buy I've done in a while. With shipping and a 3S 3000 turnigy, it came under $100

Now where am I gonna store this beast!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, TX, Pharr
Joined Dec 2011
62 Posts
Ordered mine yesterday, and looks like its shipped and will be here next Tuesday. Since I lost my foamy trainer a couple weeks ago, this will make a good replacement now that I am ready for something a bit more advanced. Thanks for posting this up.
pilot815 is offline Find More Posts by pilot815
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:11 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Thanks. Anyways, I couldn't wait...it was too tempting at $49...I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night.

I'm planning on as light of a build as possible.

I don't mean to derail the thread but here's my setup (these are existing gear I have lying around):

118 gram 910kv brushless
13x4 E APC
40 amp ESC
3000 mah 3S Lipo
2x 32 gram MG servo rudder/elevator
2x 18 gram MG servo (ailerons)
This setup should get me close to 350W and close to 2000 grams thrust at WOT. I'm shooting for AUW of no more than 2300 grams.
I want that nice scale flight...and not the crazy banana effect
Yeah I just got mine today. I already have the 1.8 meter version with flaps. The 2 models are identical except the wings and the graphics. It is a pretty nice plane and definitely a good deal. Also the landing gear sucks, I rebuilt mine with 5/32" piano wire or you can put the eflite.25 cub landing gear on it ($18).

I hate to break it to you but you will be real close to 6 pounds built with a battery. I think the airframe is about 2 kilos. I am going to build mine with a eflight .46 and 4 cel 5000mah. This balances the big one perfect. You want to build these with the cg a bit further forward than the manual says.

I just found this build log on this plane http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ng+clipped+cub
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:54 AM
I can fix that!
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
640 Posts
Scorp 4025 will hover : )
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ground Station
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
I hate to break it to you but you will be real close to 6 pounds built with a battery. I think the airframe is about 2 kilos. I am going to build mine with a eflight .46 and 4 cel 5000mah. This balances the big one perfect. You want to build these with the cg a bit further forward than the manual says.
That should be ok at 6 pounds. I just tested my thrust on 13x4 prop, and I'm at about 2200 grams, and if AUW of plane is 6 lbs (2700 grams), I'm still at 80% thrust to weight...and that's kinda perfect for scale flying, and still enough to get myself out of trouble. I'm just a tad worried about getting CG forward enough to balance it with the smaller motor/ESC and Lipo.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,444 Posts
I also ordered this last night, ended up ordering 2 kits so I could split it with a friend, shipping for 1 was $35, shipping for 2 was $40.00, so 2 62" balsa cub kits for 140.00 shipped, what a deal.

What servos and motor is everyone going with?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
975 Posts
rcalldaylong - You should be real close without too much ballast as long as you figure a way to secure the battery way forward. With the light setup you may come in at 5.5 pounds.

Janole - Good idea getting 2 for just $5 more shipping. I live 25 miles from the Tacoma warehouse I wish I could just go pick stuff up there. I have a Eflite 46 on the 1.8 meter and like to use these hitec servos as they don't cost much more initially than the cheapos and in the long run are way less than the cheapo servos
http://www.toddsmodels.com/ProductDe...M3485&CartID=2

Please post your setups and results. I will try to do the same.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:17 AM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,444 Posts
I was also thinking Hi-tec servos, like you said, maybe $20 more for 4 initially but much cheaper in the long run, what about the 82mg? Also for motor I was thinking the g36 or g46 from valuehobby, http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...-aircraft.html
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
975 Posts
Either one of those motors would be fine. If you are going to use 4s or 5s the 46 will let you run a bigger prop for more thrust. The added weight in the nose is a good thing on this model and you don't have to give it full throttle all the time.

HS 82mg servos would not be very good for this big plane. Use at least Hs 225 servos, The mounts cutout for standard size servos and the are less expensive.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:01 AM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,444 Posts
HS-485HB sound good then. If I go with the 46 I will need new batteries, I have a ton of 2200 3s a few 2650 4s, and a few 2500 6s, maybe I can run 2 2650 in parallel.

Finally found a good video of this plane flying, mute the sound
Clippwing Cub.wmv (6 min 16 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:47 AM
Certifiable User
Joined Mar 2011
975 Posts
How is this for a budget 4cel 5000mah battery. the hardcase doesn't weigh much more than heat shrink.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18631

Yeah that is a pretty good video. makes me want to use a 60 size motor or a scorpion 4025. I hope my plane has reverse like the one in you vid. ha ha
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:45 AM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,444 Posts
he is just using a 3020-16, 4000 4s in that video

Battery does look good for the price but will 20c be enough

What motor/esc/battery are you using in your other cub, any videos? Are you redoing the landing gear on this one or are you buying the eflite ones
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Yea...I hate you! I wasn't planning on buying another plane for a while. But dang...I couldn't sleep all night last night...thinking about it too much...and I finally caved in at 3am and bought it....LOL!

Awesome on the twitter thing...and thanks for posting this...best buy I've done in a while. With shipping and a 3S 3000 turnigy, it came under $100

Now where am I gonna store this beast!
How's going?
I just found out this deal also, and I am buying it. Let me know whats your choose on the motor and esc. I am going to parallel those two PolyRC black color 3s lipo ($10) for a 4400mah 3s on this. (still remember those "bad" batteries? lol, they should works on this trainer) .
Oh by the way, I have this motor on hand, what do you think?

HobbyKing Donkey ST4010-820kv Brushless Motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15201
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin