155 Posts
coincidence, I think not
wbnemo1 is offline Find More Posts by wbnemo1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, OH, Fairborn
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
got around to cutting out the bottom so i can see how these fit....fits excellent got a little foam i got to remove..a few places that need more hot glue...might have to play with the ducting a little but nothing major.a little reinforcement......
wind1234 is offline Find More Posts by wind1234
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered loser :)
warm sunny(rainy, windy)Florida
Joined Jan 2005
155 Posts
check your pm

Will
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:58 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
hot glue!!!!!????? I'm cringing. LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
lol hot glue seems ok as long as you make sure you peel the skin off the blue foam....and i try to melt the foam a little with the tip of the glue gun as i go and make nice welds....this build just started off me goofing around with a profile design and got traped into bigger/heavier/need more power/heavier/need more reinforcement/heavier ect lol..

the balsa sheet on the outside really gave it strength but after puttin in the fans /motors and battery im thinking some lite glass for strength...what can i say its a work in progress build.......not sure if i could make it much lighter unless i made some molds and used carbon fiber cloth...this is my first scratchbuild and first edf and ill admit i bitt off more than i can chew cause the models surpassed my basic knowledge of rc but we gotta learn somehow...
my original plan was make a profile foamy
then fill in 3d with the foam and shape the plane
and then slice it up every 2 in. to make patterns out of them ..and make ply bulkheads
and then use carbon and balsa .. was and still might be my plan.......
i got a ton of things yet to work out first ...CG/control surfaces/mounting pretymuch everything...just wanna make sure everthing fits and i can get some realistic numbers on things ....id like to make the wings/stabs and wingtips removable ..i guess all the time i made up by not going from plans is catching up too me and now i got to figure everything out...next thing i need to do is get the fans and battery locations figured out..at this point the battery will only fit in one spot in the nose(3000 mah 5s)...i got a few inches in the back to play with the fans as far as getting a decent cg but havent checked on that yet....
any suggestions or help is allways appriciated : )
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
if you are gonna slice and dice the plane, you can always go with a plan, even now. just do a rough sketch first and try and figure out where stuff goes. then do another sketch that is correct sizes and see if it actually fits. the rest will be cake.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:22 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,622 Posts
Hi Steve, having some issues? I have a few ideas you might want to consider.

Lets look at you idea of the battery in the nose. I'l use a 3s 3300mah @383gr= 13.5oz. Your fuse is 48" long . Using physics 101, a lever and a fulcrum, if the M.A.C. of your wing is about 25-30% back from the LE, that gives you [ a guess here] about a better than 3-1 ratio from that point on the wing to where you want you battery. At that ratio, the force that far up will make [batt] seem to weigh 40.5oz or 2.53lbs. For example, take a sturdy stick 4ft long, mark it of every ft, all your edfs, escs servors will be on or around the 1ft mark. Now put the batt between the 3-4ft mark, how does it balance? First you realy need to figure where the CG is on the wing. Figures may not be perfect, but you get my idea.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 02, 2012, 10:48 AM
Exper-a-mental
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
Did you ever finish this plane?
cclarkkent is offline Find More Posts by cclarkkent
Old May 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
not finished yet im hoping to get started on it again soon i got like 1000 projects going and lots of other hobbies (way to many) but hope to get something done in the next few weeks : )
Old May 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
Exper-a-mental
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
I was watching the movie with Clint Eastwood.. FIREFOX and was thinking, "How hard can this be to build, someone has to have built one" !!!! I mainly build and fly gliders, but have a EDF plane or 2 around! I have a EDF Sukoi SU-27 thats very under powered, that needs an engine upgrade, its amazing how fast technology improves.
cclarkkent is offline Find More Posts by cclarkkent
Old May 31, 2012, 03:08 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
2 wind1234:

Nice project, nice build !

Only one question. Why do you named your plane "Mig-31" ? MiG-31 is not FireFox but FoxHound. Look this Russian page for photos and plans.
RedSun is offline Find More Posts by RedSun
Old May 31, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
155 Posts
the mig 31 Firefox was the name given to the fictional plane from the film of the same name Firefox, the mig 31 foxhound wasn't in known about yet when the movie was made
Old May 31, 2012, 03:24 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
Thank you very much !
RedSun is offline Find More Posts by RedSun
Old May 31, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
155 Posts
you are very welcome, I've been a super fan of the fictional plane a long time so watch this thread with great interest..I've collected so much research over the years and finally have a 3d model of the plane in perfect guise..love to see one of these fly one day

Will
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
ok guys i got a question this is in regards to a powerplant idea....

is it possible to power the two edf's of this plane with just the fans hooked up to a rc car glow motor...say a .15 size out of a 1/10 scale car?

i havent checked yet, but a small motor like that and a tank with gas might be less weight than 2 electric motors and a couple brick batteries and esc's..

ill try and work something up in google sketchup to help get an idea what im talking about....but basicly the idea is to have the motor mounted with the clutchbell ,then run two 4mm shafts (or whatever the diamiter the fan blades will attach to ) from there to the fans,and the fan blades should mount to that..

is this a doable idea? has anyone done any experimenting with anything like this? thanks in advance for all the help and input : )